Resurrected Power Metal Thread

The last Stratovarius album is absolutely killer. They nailed it on that one. They are a great band, if not somewhat in consistent this late in their career. Polaris was awesome, Elysium was a let down, Nemesis is awesome. Up and down, up and down.

Another great, little known power metal band that I may have mentioned on earlier pages (can't recall) is Instanzia. They make really catchy, clever songs while retaining the heaviness. They sing about history in the vein of Sabaton. I think their songwriting is stronger, though, even given the fact that they only have one album out. The second one is due shortly.

Sounds quite nice. Not sure about the vocals - they Sound somehow strange (but not necessarily in a bad way).
For my personal taste there are a lot of good bands which suffer in the vocal department.

I fully agree on Nemesis which is outstanding. I prefer Elysium to Polaris which was not bad either - however Elysium has some of the best Stratovarius Songs of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say Darkest Hours, Under flaming skies, Infernal Maze, The Game never Ends and maybe Lifetime in a Moment.

The title track did not impress me that much - I would have preferred 3 or 4 shorter Songs instead.

Btw did anyone check out the latest Elvenking? Any good?

Ok thanks mate. Will be purchased sooner or later. It is always a bit strange when it gets to a new release from Elvenking - if they deliver they are absolutely great. On the other Hand they are able to produce some of the worst Songs the PM genre has seen.

What about the production Quality? Has not been too great for the last 2 Releases.

I just checked out samples from the new Derdian release - good stuff. I like it a lot more than the latest stuff from Rhapsody.

Also the new Falconer is awesome - even better than "Among beggars and thieves" which I already loved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAURLVemHnA

And for the ones preferring the harder side of PM check out the new Savage Messiah and the latest release from Helstar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMLgbl7yU98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEEYK7b3_so

I have the new Savage Messiah. I liked it at first but it got old quickly to my ears. I also have the new Falconer. Definitely heavier than their usual output but still not even close to Northwind, in my opinion. I haven't heard new Helstar yet but will check it out.

In the meantime, check out these catchy tunes...

This one has been stuck in my head for a few days...

^I'll have to check those out, I liked those. Dreamtale reminds me of Kaledon.

Anyways, I'm still obsessed with Orden Ogan

^Dat solo

Orden Ogan are great. The opening song on their 2013 album is one of the finest, most epic old-school guitar anthems of recent times if not ever. That being said, the album as a whole is solid but doesn't grab me as much as Easton Hope did/does.

I love Orden Ogan, and "The Frozen Few" is one of the best intros to any power metal album.

I actually really like the rest of the album too, although it has some slower portions that tend to wander a bit. I'm not a fan of the closing piece, but the track "Mystic Symphony" blows me away every time. That second verse, damn...

^I'll have to check those out, I liked those. Dreamtale reminds me of Kaledon.

Anyways, I'm still obsessed with Orden Ogan

^Dat solo

The Album as great - however I think there are better Songs than These (eg Till the Stars cry out or This world of ice).

Seeb is writing great Songs and he has made him a Name as Producer well (eg the last Human Fortress has been produced by him).
However I am not 100 % sure about his talents as singer. The vocals are ok but the Songs could be even better with a standout singer.

I have the new Savage Messiah. I liked it at first but it got old quickly to my ears. I also have the new Falconer. Definitely heavier than their usual output but still not even close to Northwind, in my opinion. I haven't heard new Helstar yet but will check it out.

In the meantime, check out these catchy tunes...

This one has been stuck in my head for a few days...

Sounds pretty solid. Dreamtale is on my to-buy list quite a while now - however there CDs are really expensive at Amazon.de
And Amazon.de does not even know Beorn.

If there is any power metal album I see myself going back too often it's this.

So fucking good.

I don't listen to much power metal, but I like these albums.

Jag Panzer-The Fourth Judgement,Mechanized Warfare.
Iced Earth-Night of The Stormrider,The Dark Saga.
Helloween-The Dark Ride.
Seven Witches-Year of The Witch.

Not power metal, but a "traditional metal" thread doesn't seem to exist, so fuck it.

Good new tunes from Kentucky. Super huge Cirith Ungol vibe, and the vocalist is a complete babe too.

https://soundcloud.com/skolrecords/savagemaster

this is cool thx. i imagine it'd be way cooler if it had the sound of KING OF THE DEAD though.

i'm sure there was a trad metal thread here a while back.