Resurrected Power Metal Thread

Hmm I kinda disagree. I really liked At the Edge of Time, way more than BTRM. Some songs on that album (esp. Wheel of Time and Sacred Worlds) are some of my favorite BG songs.
Also I hope Imaginations From the Other Side is on that list.

In order, this is my most favorite to least favorite BG album

1. Somewhere Far Beyond
2. Imaginations From the Other Side
3. Follow the Blind
4. Tales From the Twilight World
5. Battalions of Fear
6. Nightfall in Middle Earth
7. A Twist in the Myth
8. A Night at the Opera
9. At The Edge of Time
10. Beyond the Red Mirror

Although BTRM is last. I did enjoy it because it's Blind Guardian lol

Last edited:
Ok, it's been a few months now - what's everyone think of the latest Blind Guardian? I'm generally a huge fan of their stuff but I've come to the conclusion that BTRM kinda sucks, which is really disappointing. I don't really get it - I've seen it on plenty of end of year lists - not so much here, but on reddit and stuff. If someone wants to illuminate me as to the magic I'm missing, please do.

I think it's a really good album, although I've come late to the Blind Guardian party. I remember hearing them back in 1998 and thinking, what is this weak crap?! Since then I've definitely come around to them.

I think 'Beyond the Red Mirror' is a great album. The epic scale of it all is incredible, with the production and vocals making this sound really huge and beautiful. Hansi's vocals are, as usual, metal perfection. I definitely do feel that 'At the Edge of Time' is the better album as it's more catchy with a greater focus on the 'big chorus', but 'Beyond the Red Mirror' has a more progressive, narrative feel to it. I really love 'Imaginations from the Other Side' too. For me, 'Nightfall in Middle Earth' is taking me a lot longer to get into. I know it's supposed to be epic etc, but epic in 1998 isn't quite what it is today. Sort of like watching a special effects movie from that era that is really cool but doesn't quite meet today's standard.

So yeah, I put 'BtrM' on my 2015 top 10 list. But then again, I came into the band on that album and retroactively discovered them after my 90s lack of interest (it was my black and doom era...).

Amazing band basically.

Heh wow that post was from long ago but yes, it was in Century Media's clearance section and they had a special 80% clearance items sale. I think it was $2.50 maybe?
Glad you got it. Curse of the Artizan was sold out by us and the record label. You might check out the new album 'The Furthest Reaches.' Matt Barlow has a killer guest appearance.

What did you guys think of Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - 'Prometheus'? I simply can't believe how good that album is. For me it's easily the best with the Rhapsody name attached to it, as fun as 'Dawn of Victory' etc is.

'Prometheus' has this epic grandeur and classicism about it with a lot less cheese. I mean, there's still cheese, but it's so much more artistic. It's almost a perfect album if it wasn't for that ridiculous (and mega cheesy) Gollum voice saying, "my precious" at the start of the mercifully only Lord of the Rings themed song on the album. I really wish there had have been someone in the studio with Luca to tell him that saying "my precious" in a silly Gollum voice is just too corny for an otherwise majestic and mature work of symphonic metal majesty. Everything else is just amazing.

When I listen to the last album he did with Rhapsody of Fire, 'From Chaos to Eternity' it's basically a songless slab of widdly guitars. On 'Prometheus' he turned down the widdle, amped up the orchestral arrangements and turned the classical music atmosphere up to 11.

So yeah I guess you could say I'm impressed. It's on heavy rotation in my car on the way to work in the mornings. It suits perfectly.