Galneryus - Flag of Punishment
Dark Moor - The Hall of Olden Dreams
Rhapsody of Fire - Power of the Dragonflame
Alhambra - Fadista
Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath
Kamelot - Epica
Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out in Space
Stratovarius - Episode

Here's a list. I went by Vegard's criteria because I think it's pretty fair to say that quite a lot of USPM that is more reminiscent of trad than anything else.

In no order:

Blind Guardian- Imaginations From the Other Side, Nightfall on Middle Earth
Helloween- Keeper of the Seven Keys pts. 1 and 2
Kamelot- Karma
Nightwish- Oceanborn
Dark Moor- The Gates of Oblivion
Labyrinth- Return to Heaven Denied
Rhapsody- Dawn of Victory
Edguy- Theater of Salvation
Lost Horizon- A Flame to the Ground Beneath
Running Wild- Death or Glory

Reactions: CiG
This reminds me I have a Nightwish prejudice I need to try and get over at some point.
To be honest, it's somewhat justified. I'm still kind of lukewarm to a lot of their albums that aren't Angels Fall First, Oceanborn or Wishmaster. The albums following those proved to be of lesser quality and the individual members of the band went on to do some unbelievably infuriating crap like Tarja Turunen making a mediocre version of Passion & the Opera for her live shows that doesn't even come within a country mile of the original.

Last edited:
Most of my powermetal listening is done on Pandora at work.
Tons of Rhapsody, Luca Turilli, Dark Moor, Blind Guardian, Dragonforce, Hibria, Fairyland, Falconer (who I just got into and fucking love!), Holy Knights, Steel Attack, Cellador, Powerwolf, Sabaton (I used to hate both those bands, now I suddenly really enjoy them. Thanks Pandora!) Derdian, Kamelot, Galloglass, Edguy, Avantasia...........

Throughout the years I've absolutely loved these albums.
Lost Horizon - A Flame To The Ground Beneath
Heavenly - Dust to Dust
Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth

Nothing else stands out like those 3
Avantasia Metal Opera I and II have always been favorites of mine also
I love Rhapsody, but I can't really pick out an album that I'd put in there. Luca Turilli is a freak!

Reactions: Slammed
...... Falconer (who I just got into and fucking love!), ....Powerwolf, Sabaton (I used to hate both those bands, now I suddenly really enjoy them. Thanks Pandora!)..........

I agree with these three.
Falconer took me a little while to get into but once I did I never stopped listening.
Sabatron and Powerwolf I was hooked on at first listen.
I also like a bit of Orden Ogan.

Powerwolf can be a little cheesy in the lyrics department (Resurrection by Erection) but nothing beats Gloryhammer for cheesy power metal.

Falconer (who I just got into and fucking love!) ... Powerwolf, Sabaton (I used to hate both those bands, now I suddenly really enjoy them. Thanks Pandora!)

Finally got over your whole "power metal vocals shouldn't sound deep" thing, huh? (apologies if that's not it, I just have a vague memory from years ago that you didn't like Sabaton, Powerwolf, Kiuas, etc. because you didn't like the vocal style).

Things That People Who Just Started Listening to Power Metal Say V. I

Considering that Gloryhammer is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, I think they're pretty sweet. Definitely not the best, but fine.

what're your favourite power metal albums?

Missed this, sorry.

I fucking love Kiuas's The Spirit of Ukko, and I never really hear it discussed. It might be my all-time favorite power metal album (it diverges somewhat from old-school power metal, combines power metal w/ aesthetics from more extreme styles). I think these guys kick ass, too bad they dissolved a few years back. I saw them live on New Year's Eve in Finland. They blew my mind.

A few others (in no particular order)

Epica (Kamelot)
Score to a New Beginning (Fairyland)
Easton Hope (Orden Ogan)
A View From the End of the World (Machinae Supremacy)
Heaven's Gate and Outbound (Keldian, although to be fair these guys walk a fine line between power metal and something like '80s-influenced space rock)

Also, Keldian's new one just dropped, and it has some good shit although it's also uneven.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
A View From the End of the World (Machinae Supremacy)

I've never heard anyone mention Machinae Supremacy when it comes to 'favourites', most people I know think they are too electronic to be metal. I'm not really a big fan but they'd have some interesting stuff over the years. I think I might have to check out Kiuas though.

I just think View From the End of the World is a killer album, almost the entire way through. I think MS are so much fun, and the guitar hooks are awesome.

I realize they're electronic, but really it's just some SID effects laid over mostly standard power metal instrumentation.