Resurrected Power Metal Thread

Fuck yes, can't wait to check this out. Thanks. Dude you ever listen to Visigoth's second full-length? I thought it was a significant improvement on their debut.

Also, for fans of the well-produced cheesy power metal, I've been digging Powerwolf's newest. Probably their best since Bible of the Beast.

Reactions: CiG
Dude you ever listen to Visigoth's second full-length? I thought it was a significant improvement on their debut.

Oh yeah man, it's fucking great. Much better than the debut which I actually wasn't a big fan of. I dug it musically but I had a few problems with it, like its length for one. This new album is a much nicer, more tight length for example.

Massive improvement in general.

Some nice modern French power metal.

Not sure if this has been shared here yet, pretty big deal in the epic metal scene or whatever. Some cool epic power metal stuff, they're channeling Manilla Road in a major way here.

Last edited:
I heard someone say yesterday that the new Brainstorm (Germany) album Metal Ghost is a killer album. Haven't heard it myself yet.

Really digging Ironflame, fucking killer guitar harmonies.

Been doing some exploring recently, and came across Wytch Hazel and Lunar Shadow. Both of these acts might better belong in the trad thread, but I think there's enough guitar harmonizing and galloping riffage to push them into power territory. If I had to describe/compare them, I'd say they make me think of a more energetic Pagan's Altar.

Reactions: CiG
Really digging Ironflame, fucking killer guitar harmonies.

Been doing some exploring recently, and came across Wytch Hazel and Lunar Shadow. Both of these acts might better belong in the trad thread, but I think there's enough guitar harmonizing and galloping riffage to push them into power territory. If I had to describe/compare them, I'd say they make me think of a more energetic Pagan's Altar.

wytch hazel are popular here and will probably make the forum's 2018 top ten. i agree they're fairly reminiscent of mythical & magical-era pagan altar (particularly on their previous album, which is generally a more laid back tempo), although both they and pagan altar (on that album) are very much in the tradition of the pastoral hard rock of the '70s. i wouldn't call them power metal, most of the time they aren't really even metal IMO, but yeah they rule.

Reactions: Einherjar86 and CiG
Yeah I debated posting them here. It's a stretch.

Mythical & Magical is one of my all-time favorite metal albums, so the similarity caught my attention. I definitely wouldn't call Pagan Altar power metal, but something about these albums felt a bit more energetic to me.

Cool thread. This is a much lesser explored area of metal for me so I'll have to go through these vids.

I highly recommend anyone into this stuff check out my friends band Paladin. I'm not just plugging for a local band, they are legitimately some of the most talented musicians I have heard/seen play. Self-described as power/thrash and the singer/guitarist is prodigy level good. Unfortunately the album doesn't come out til May but there are some teasers.

I've heard some of the unreleased tracks too and they are even better imo. Vocally a lot like Maiden and Sonata Arctica at points which I absolutely love