Resurrected Power Metal Thread

Yeah, there were a few good songs off of it but in general it was meh, and the production was too soft and slick, not to mention the cover of Maniac....I mean wtf?

I saw them live last April/Mayish, and they have tons of energy, played a lot of their older stuff. Was a really good show, way heavier live than the recordings.

ahhh, my niggaz, too kind, now all I have to do is show people 'Return To Heaven Denied'...it's like 10 years old now, wow. :loco: not that I enjoy the Winterborn on the same level, or that it's even the same style of music. but....

The second one is probably my favorite power metal song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few more tunes for people to check out. They used to be a great band, but have since taken a turn for the worse (major lineup change, and new lead singer; pretty awful). The band is Human Fortress:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Nz2uitj4w&feature=related[/ame]

Oh, that's right. He's the only other person I know who really digs them. They're really underrated, in my opinion. They have such a classic sound.

:lol:
ahhh, my niggaz, too kind, now all I have to do is show people 'Return To Heaven Denied'...it's like 10 years old now, wow. :loco: not that I enjoy the Winterborn on the same level, or that it's even the same style of music. but....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFaaIZQy_do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubz0y3gqau0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xct8kgxwov8

The second one is probably my favorite power metal song.

Def gotta get round to tracking down this album!
I've got "Sons Of Thunder" and "Timelass Crime ep" and love them both. The vocalist hits a hight note at the end of "In The Shade" that i'm sure only dogs can hear!Awesome!:lol:
Btw is that an old singer on the Ep that does the hidden SANCTUARY cover?

He hits a lot of notes like that on their self-titled album, which is also their heaviest album, so you should pick that one up. This is a song from it, at the end there's more high stuff:

'In the Shade' is actually a newer version of a song from 'No Limits' which is their debut and has Fabio Lione on vocals..and is a really excellent album as well as groundbreaking, can't think of a lot that was like it in 1996, mayyyybe Stratovarius...

The guy singing the Sanctuary cover is Morby from Domine, he was with the band a short while when Rob was gone.

*listens*

now this band is an actual example of the sort of thing people mean when they say 'generic power metal', with no character, not much memorability, etc.... :zzz:

awesome cover art however. :lol:

I've been playing tons of older Nightwish lately, pretty much not ashamed of digging that whatsoever either, they've got some songs I absolutely love. Too bad the band is mostly some hired orchestra these days with a faceless riff buried behind it.

I absolutely hate 'Once'..that one and 'Century Child' are my least favorites. The leads are really sorely missed on the former, and a lot of the songs are so boring/gay and watered down that I just never ever listen to it..except for 'The Siren'... that's a favorite.

'CC' isn't that bad musically, but Marco irritates me throughout it and I find most of the songs really forgettable. Once again though, a standout song..'End of All Hope'..that's a really good song.

I think a good half of 'Dark Passion Play' is pretty bad too, and they still need to bring the guitar back more, but at the same time I really really really really like the other half of the album.

I've never thought of the guitar leads as a big part of Nightwish. Tarja's vocals are really the highlight of that band. It takes some getting used to Marco's vocals, but now I hardly notice.

I blind bought Odyssea - Tears In Floods...incredibly underwhelmed. Phail.
I checked them out a number of years ago when the album first came out. Not very many of the songs stuck with me aside from "Fly". I dig the use of electronic-styled keys and the guitarist is fucking incredible in his solos, but the songwriting is so boring aside from those elements I mentioned.

I've never thought of the guitar leads as a big part of Nightwish. Tarja's vocals are really the highlight of that band. It takes some getting used to Marco's vocals, but now I hardly notice.

Annette isn't all that bad either, it'll take time to get used to her, but that sort of like intro of voices or whatever you call that on "The Poet And The Pendulum, I mean if there were more stuff like that in the album, I'd defanitly enjoy it more.

I absolutely hate 'Once'..that one and 'Century Child' are my least favorites. The leads are really sorely missed on the former, and a lot of the songs are so boring/gay and watered down that I just never ever listen to it..except for 'The Siren'... that's a favorite.
'CC' isn't that bad musically, but Marco irritates me throughout it and I find most of the songs really forgettable. Once again though, a standout song..'End of All Hope'..that's a really good song.

I think a good half of 'Dark Passion Play' is pretty bad too, and they still need to bring the guitar back more, but at the same time I really really really really like the other half of the album.

Romanticide rules man.