Resurrected Power Metal Thread

So, after seeing Kiuas live in Helsinki, I feel obliged to share the conversation I had with Ilja Jalkanen (the lead singer of Kiuas) after the show.

A kid whom I met at the show informed me that Ilja was at the bar buying a drink. So, naturally, I approached the bar to introduce myself to this vocalist that I so enjoy listening to.

Now, it's important to emphasize this fact. Ilja is a notorious asshole :cool: Just read his biography on the Kiuas website. He has a tremendous ego, and while others may not enjoy the band as much as I do, I believe that he deserves to hold himself in high regard (after all, "their secret is simple; they're simply better by far"). So, as I approached Ilja, I thought to myself "he probably gets complimented after every show; I'm sure he gets sick of it. He's probably going to be an asshole to me." So I mentally prepared myself.

I placed my hand on his back in a friendly manner and said "Ilja, excuse me... Ilja?"

He turned and looked at me, appearing almost somewhat confused.

I said, "My name's Patrick, I came over from America to see your show, and I just wanted to say that you guys absolutely blew me away. It was a phenomenal show."

Ilja then said the following: he put down his drink on the bar and said, "Well, let me ask you... Patrick, you said, right? (I nodded) Patrick," he said, "let me ask you something. What exactly did you think was so great about it?"

I hesitated for a moment, and then said, "Well, as far as power metal goes, I just think you guys are one of the best..."

He cut me off, shaking his head, and said, "Now wait just a minute; we're not power metal. We are heavy fucking metal!"

I laughed and agreed with him, and then explained that I thought his music was original and creative.

"Oh sure," he replied, "Original, creative, of course; innovative too probably, right? That's a good word."

I nodded and said that they were indeed innovative.

Ilja says, "and of course, their lead singer is absolutely amazing, right? I mean, the best ever."

At this point I hesitate, cock my head for a moment, and then look him in the eyes and say: "Wait, who's their lead singer."

Ilja's eyes went wide, and he then cried out as he pretended to cut his own heart from his chest.

That, more or less, was my introduction to Ilja Jalkanen, and I shall never forget it. He's actually a pretty nice guy.

How do the two Twisted Tower Dire albums being reissued compare to Crest Of The Martyrs? Because from memory, that album suffered from a crippling lack of balls.

even though i have'nt heard "The Curse of Twisted Tower" or "The Isle Of Hydra",i do have Crest Of The Martyrs and fully agree about its lack of balls,nothing really memorable about this album,i'd much rather listen to The Lord Weird Slough Feg.Hopefully Crescent Shield will have a new one out soon,really like their album

So, after seeing Kiuas live in Helsinki, I feel obliged to share the conversation I had with Ilja Jalkanen (the lead singer of Kiuas) after the show.

A kid whom I met at the show informed me that Ilja was at the bar buying a drink. So, naturally, I approached the bar to introduce myself to this vocalist that I so enjoy listening to.

Now, it's important to emphasize this fact. Ilja is a notorious asshole :cool: Just read his biography on the Kiuas website. He has a tremendous ego, and while others may not enjoy the band as much as I do, I believe that he deserves to hold himself in high regard (after all, "their secret is simple; they're simply better by far"). So, as I approached Ilja, I thought to myself "he probably gets complimented after every show; I'm sure he gets sick of it. He's probably going to be an asshole to me." So I mentally prepared myself.

I placed my hand on his back in a friendly manner and said "Ilja, excuse me... Ilja?"

He turned and looked at me, appearing almost somewhat confused.

I said, "My name's Patrick, I came over from America to see your show, and I just wanted to say that you guys absolutely blew me away. It was a phenomenal show."

Ilja then said the following: he put down his drink on the bar and said, "Well, let me ask you... Patrick, you said, right? (I nodded) Patrick," he said, "let me ask you something. What exactly did you think was so great about it?"

I hesitated for a moment, and then said, "Well, as far as power metal goes, I just think you guys are one of the best..."

He cut me off, shaking his head, and said, "Now wait just a minute; we're not power metal. We are heavy fucking metal!"

I laughed and agreed with him, and then explained that I thought his music was original and creative.

"Oh sure," he replied, "Original, creative, of course; innovative too probably, right? That's a good word."

I nodded and said that they were indeed innovative.

Ilja says, "and of course, their lead singer is absolutely amazing, right? I mean, the best ever."

At this point I hesitate, cock my head for a moment, and then look him in the eyes and say: "Wait, who's their lead singer."

Ilja's eyes went wide, and he then cried out as he pretended to cut his own heart from his chest.

That, more or less, was my introduction to Ilja Jalkanen, and I shall never forget it. He's actually a pretty nice guy.

Nice story, I didn't know he was an asshole...lol

I was a little drunk last night and felt like sharing that. Sorry for rambling. :cool: I got to meet Ilja and Mikko (their guitarist) at the New Year's Show in Helsinki. It was awesome, a really friggin great show. Moonsorrow headlined (I've kind of neglected to mention that at all, actually...)

I actually didn't really care for those Winterborn songs. At first I thought it reminded me a bit of Keldian, what with the 80s influences and the keys, but it's not as immediately catchy as Keldian. I'll have to give them a few more listens.

I just ordered the new Falconer album, anyone hear it yet? And if so, how is it? i guess I'll find out myself in a few days.

I don't like Kiuas that much because it just always sounds like they've tried to sort of fit all the ingredients people think you need to play European metal nowadays and it often comes off more predictable and playing it safe rather than from the heart, if that makes any sense. The Maiden/gothenburg guitar stuff for example could go and I wouldn't blink.

Do you mean 'Among Beggars and Thieves'? I don't think it's nearly as good as 'Northwind' but it does have a few really good songs on it; I love 'Mountain Men'. It's sort of a mix of 'Chapters' and 'Sceptre' but doesn't manage to capture the infectiousness of either throughout. You might like it a lot more than I did however, most people seem to.

I listened to a few songs off that album and didn't really like anything I heard. Seemed boring.

As far as Kiuas goes, I think they're one of the most genuine-sounding metal bands around. Their sound is very distinctive and recognizable, and I think they really enjoy what they do. I believe they do play from the heart, and I think you can tell by the raw emotion of some of their more obscure songs (i.e. And the North Star Cried, Bleeding Strings, Reformation, Behind the Glass, On Winds of Death We Ride...)

I've been listening to them for years now, and I realize that I'm probably biased; but what initially hooked me was their emotion and aggressiveness. To this day I haven't come across their like among power metal bands. Other bands might use the same techniques as Kiuas, but no one else sounds like Kiuas.

Twisted Tower Dire recs please? Individual songs that I could check out on youtube or something would be appreciated. You can also say which album you like best, if you so choose.

Burning%20Earth.jpg

Just listen to this and rock out.

How do the two Twisted Tower Dire albums being reissued compare to Crest Of The Martyrs? Because from memory, that album suffered from a crippling lack of balls.

They're definitely both better albums, but it's pretty much the same style, so I dunno if you'd still consider them to have enough "balls". Supposedly the story is that their record label wanted to make them sound like a more polished, mainstream power metal band, which the band didn't want. That probably has a lot to do with it.