Resurrected Power Metal Thread

Also, I got tha new Falconer, and you guys were right, slightly dissapointing. It has some great songs though, Boiling Led is one of the best song they've done IMO. It's not bad, just not as great as their first 2 or Northwind.

I checked them out a number of years ago when the album first came out. Not very many of the songs stuck with me aside from "Fly". I dig the use of electronic-styled keys and the guitarist is fucking incredible in his solos, but the songwriting is so boring aside from those elements I mentioned.

Try Labyrinth - No Limits, Keldian - Journey of Souls, and Luca Turilli - Prophet of the Last Eclipse for excellent usage of electronic styled keys...

Romanticide rules man.

Ugh, I hated that one more than most. The chuggy breakdown thing like the type that song is filled with is one of the worst ideas to ever come out of heavy music, and Nightwish doesn't even have slightly decent ones..

Also, I got tha new Falconer, and you guys were right, slightly dissapointing. It has some great songs though, Boiling Led is one of the best song they've done IMO. It's not bad, just not as great as their first 2 or Northwind.

I think I would rate mine this way..

1. self titled
2. Sceptre of Deception
3. Northwind
4. Chapters From A Vale Forlorn
*big drop*
5. Among Beggars & Thieves
6. Grime VS Grandeur

I really really love 'Sceptre of Deception', but it still doesn't seem like it's really caught on with most fans yet...... :erk:

Try Labyrinth - No Limits, Keldian - Journey of Souls, and Luca Turilli - Prophet of the Last Eclipse for excellent usage of electronic styled keys...
Oh, I know. Trust me, I know. The only one of those that really stuck with me out of those was Luca Turilli. Prophet of the Last Eclipse is my favorite album of music by Luca Turilli, I think I like it even more than the majority of Rhapsody albums.

Ugh, I hated that one more than most. The chuggy breakdown thing like the type that song is filled with is one of the worst ideas to ever come out of heavy music, and Nightwish doesn't even have slightly decent ones..

Well, to each their own I suppose. Oceanborn is probably my favorite Nightwish album anyway, but Once is up there, top 3 for me.

1. self titled
2. Sceptre of Deception
3. Northwind
*big drop*
6. Grime VS Grandeur

I really really love 'Sceptre of Deception', but it still doesn't seem like it's really caught on with most fans yet...... :erk:

I'd say:
1.ST
2.Chapters From A Vale Forlorn
3.Northwind
4.Sceptre of Deception
5.Among Beggars And Thieves
6.Grime Vs. Grandeur (don't really dislike any of the albums besides this one)

1. self titled
2. Sceptre of Deception
3. Northwind
*big drop*
6. Grime VS Grandeur

Sceptre of Deception is a great album. I never understood why people disliked it either. However, I would still say that Chapters From a Vale Forlorn and Northwind are better than Sceptre. My list would go:

1.s/t
2.Chapters
3.Northwind
4.Sceptre
*(unfathomable drop)
5.Beggars n' Thieves
6.Grime n' Grandeur

I'm surprised you guys think the new one is that bad, I mean yeah, it's not great, but it has some awesome songs. Man of the Hour is really good, and as I said before, Boiling Led is one of my favorite songs I've heard from them.

My list would go:

1.s/t
2.Chapters
3.Northwind
4.Sceptre
*(unfathomable drop)
5.Beggars n' Thieves
6.Grime n' Grandeur

this imo!

And I always laugh inside when I hear "child of innocence" on sceptre. It just doesn't seem like it should be sung, as if he is reading off some manuscript in verse. But it's still glorious and I love it!

What I don't understand is why Beggars and Thieves is basically at the same level as Grime and Grandeur. Sceptre of Deception is better than Beggars and Thieves (or what I've heard of it), and Mathias didn't even participate in the writing on that one.

Anyone ever listened to the French Power Metal band, "Manigance"?

I actually thought it would be stupid as hell singing in french, but it's actually really good.

^fair enough

So this is by far the best King Diamond cover I've ever heard

Pagan's Mind - At The Graves

Last edited by a moderator:
great cover, too bad the original material on that album mostly bores me to tears, and I'm a pretty huge PM fan. Cool style, sort of a more power metalled Arch-era Fates Warning.... but the songs are like the more unmemorable ones of those albums..........'ID' on to 'Celestial Entrance' is like :OMG:

great cover, too bad the original material on that album mostly bores me to tears, and I'm a pretty huge PM fan. Cool style, sort of a more power metalled Arch-era Fates Warning.... but the songs are like the more unmemorable ones of those albums..........'ID' on to 'Celestial Entrance' is like :OMG:

See, I never really liked Pagan's Mind until now, maybe it's because back then I didn't like Power Metal as much, but now it's like my favorite genre, so far my fav album by them is "Celestial Entrance".

Cover art for Wintersun's next album has been released:

Wintersun_time_cover.jpg

Looks like something Nightwish would put on an album cover.

Very cool looking cover.

Sky theme is oddly reminiscent of many photographs of the Orion Nebula. Good old hydro-emissions.. :cool::

OrionNebula.jpg

I'll listen to it and try my hardest not to read anything at all about it, since it seems the only people who ever talk about the band have a strange Opeth/Dream Theater-type ultra-fanboy or band's-worst-enemy complex.....:loco: