Resurrected Power Metal Thread

How do you define "insecure music taste?" I feel like that term could only be applied to the person who invented it.

I was talking about everyone's personal insecurity about their music taste. People tend to call out people that mention obscure bands when they lack that kind of knowledge. Retorts usually consist of "you only like the band because they're obscure" or "you just don't like *insert band* because they're mainstream".

To me A Twist In The Myth was one of the biggest musical disappointments ever. Unlike most people i didn't see A Night At The Opera as a stepdown for Blind Guardian, so i was expecting equally great things from Myth.

A Night At The Opera was the first BG album i was disappointed with. A Twist In The Myth was an improvement then

I can't understand how people can view ANATO as a disappointment. Nightfall is fantastic, and probably is my favourite BG album. However, my favourite songs are probably battlefield and Then there was silence. Hansi's vocals on the album are stunning, if sometimes overpowering. But the guy is a one man choir.

I can't understand how people can view ANATO as a disappointment. Nightfall is fantastic, and probably is my favourite BG album. However, my favourite songs are probably battlefield and Then there was silence.

That's why it's a disappointment for me, because I never actively listen to anything on it but those and 'Punishment Divine', whereas on ATITM, I have about the same number of songs (3) that I *don't* listen to and I love everything else. I just don't get into many of the melody and song ideas ANATO has to offer...

I've always been a fan of middle-period Blind Guardian, but I enjoy the later two albums more than the first two. A Night at the Opera had a handful of songs that I really like, otherwise the songwriting was a bit too meandering for me. "And Then There was Silence" is one of my favorite songs the band has ever penned and a few other songs are real choice cuts, but the style seemed to be drastically different from what had made me a fan of the band in the first place. Of course, there was what, four years gaps between the two albums? I've got respect for Blind Guardian doing their best to evolve and pursue a musical vision, lord knows it's hard to break into something new when you've already established yourself with a particular fanbase.

I liked a handful on songs from A Twist in the Myth. I knew it wasn't going to be a super-epic march through the Mines of Moria or anything like that, but the melodic guitar acrobatics are still present and the good vocals will probably never leave the band at this rate. It's just the change of songwriting.

I really enjoyed the song they did for that one video game, "Sacred". Just a short teaser, but it (The chorus especially) was a really triumphant listen for me. I hope the newer music is more like that, high epic and enjoyable power metal that still retains the symphonic complexity that the newer albums have had.

my favorite 10 BG songs:

1. Lost In The Twilight Hall
2. This Will Never End
3. Nightfall
4. The Script For My Requiem
5. Traveler in Time
6. Journey Through the Dark
7. Fly
8. And Then There Was Silence
9. Mirror Mirror
10. Lord of the Rings

If I had to narrow it down. sure, some are 'obvious' hits, but some bands have those for a good reason. like for example I could see how someone might say 'NIME' is overrated, but not the song 'Mirror Mirror'..

And there's more stuff that rules too like 'Lionheart' from ATITM.... yeah, I do have some man-love for that album. But how can it get more ultimate than 'Lost in the Twilight Hall'?

I'm in search of the Lionheart
I am ashamed
I myself can't make it
Drown Ulyssess
Drown here in the silence
Cause down to Hades I've gone
But I cannot get out

such a great fucking song

Iced Earth & Blind Guardian, 2 beasts with shit ton of great songs :p

Welcome to this sad place
And hand me what is mine
I'm the Theban prophet