Resurrected Power Metal Thread

I consider their guitar parts to be very power metal; like, as "melodic power metal" as you can get.

That said, the vocals, keys, and overall vibe sometimes have an "alt-metal" feel, although I can't quite pinpoint stylistically why I feel that way.

I agree. For some reason I also place them as a power metal band, but their music does divert a lot at times. The Jets 'N Guns soundtrack is BADASS though. Loved that game anyway, but the music was just so great.

Hi everybody,

Anybody here like Destiny's End? I don't know if they've been discussed in this thread yet, but I was fortunate enough to find a copy of their first full-length, Breathe Deep the Dark, at a store today. I've listened to it a few times and I love it. It has the vocalist from Helstar. I haven't seen anybody mention them before, but I'm more of a black/death metal guy so maybe I'm just ignorant. Anyway, listen to them. They're great. I don't think this album is easy to find, but if you see it, pick it up! Trust me, it's really good.

edit: It strikes me as a more aggressive Helstar (I've only heard one Helstar album) and its got that proginess and neoclassical touch like Helstar. Not terribly original but the album is solid all the way through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Burning Star is one of my favorite power metal albums and I have to say I enjoyed that quite a bit.

I really like James Rivera's vocals... especially the highs and the fact that he doesnt overuse them.

Yeah, James Rivera is great. He has a really unique approach. It seems to my ears that this guy and a couple others pioneered that particular singing style that you hear on a lot of progressive/power albums. It seems like it sort of came from a need to sing around all the stuff that the guitars were doing in this kind of music because the music is so busy all the time, and it sort of became its own style. Very unique and tasteful. I like the way his vocal melodies often don't do what you expect them to, as opposed to a lot of other power metal where I feel like I can predict what note the guy is going to hit next.

The chord progression in that song is strange too, and sometimes it almost sounds like he sings that wrong note; but he's consistent, so it's tough to make that argument.

The guitars are super busy in that song, but that's what I love about power metal; the dual guitar harmony is just killer, and when it's done with that amount of energy it slays. Good find, and nice rec.

Never heard Destiny's End, but that was great, sounded exactly like good Helstar to me. Thanks for the link.

God damn, this album floors me every time I return to it. Fuck! The guitars in this song are so damn awesome.

This is too awesome to go unnoticed. Thanks to Cronopio for mentioning the band in the "Albums kicking your ass" thread:

Here's another of their tunes (classic cheesy fantasy power metal):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8HIkxJacZw&feature=related[/ame]

I'm still not entirely sold on them. The singer's voice is good, but sometimes sounds too... forced. The guitar work is decent, but sometimes the melodies leave me a bit unimpressed. But I keep returning to them and listening to new tunes. I might be coming around.

Hi everybody,

Anybody here like Destiny's End? I don't know if they've been discussed in this thread yet, but I was fortunate enough to find a copy of their first full-length, Breathe Deep the Dark, at a store today. I've listened to it a few times and I love it. It has the vocalist from Helstar. I haven't seen anybody mention them before, but I'm more of a black/death metal guy so maybe I'm just ignorant. Anyway, listen to them. They're great. I don't think this album is easy to find, but if you see it, pick it up! Trust me, it's really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR43nBonACw

edit: It strikes me as a more aggressive Helstar (I've only heard one Helstar album) and its got that proginess and neoclassical touch like Helstar. Not terribly original but the album is solid all the way through.

This is pretty awesome. I definitely need to check out more from these guys. And you're right, they do sound like a more aggressive Helstar.