Review of In Flames in SLC

EricT

Don't you ever get...
Aug 25, 2005
Lost In Necropolis
So it was about 5:30pm, and I had no way to get to the show (They changed venues earlier today, from the one within close distance to one 30 miles away). I was bitching cause I already paid for the ticket. After a while I remember public transportation, so I hop on a bus and an hour and a half later I'm at club Ice.

Turned out door open times also changed to 6:30, so by the time I got in the place was jammed and I had to fight my way through. Somehow I ended up in the very front, I was amazed at my own skills. Here I met up with a few of my friends and the first band of the night came on, Zao.

They weren't good, they weren't bad. Thats the only opinion I really have on them. The lead singer seemed nervous to be up on stage, as he had his back turned to the audience most of the time. Showmanship wasn't their thing. No clue what the setlist was, but overall I wasn't very impressed. After a 20 minute wait, Devil Driver came on.

Fury is one word to describe them. A fury that I really enjoyed. Striking heavy notes, a few awesome riffs, was very good for an opener. Then came the sound problems. The vocalists mic, and the lead guitarists went totally out. Then a sound crewman decides to turn it all off. This didn't make the vocalist too happy, as he started destroying peices of equipment. (mics, mic stands) Was pretty crazy to watch. The whole time he was screaming "I've been to worse shit holes then this, atleast they get my fucking shit working, and don't interupt my fucking set." And the sound crew would scream, "Throwing its not helping", to where he would respond "Fuck you, its my equipment, just get YOUR fucking shit working you fucking retards!" Eventually sound was restored and they finished their set, which I enjoyed.

Trivium was next... I fucking hate trivium. I went and hung out with a few people in the back during this. After their set, I fought my way into the front middle again.

And then the main event, In fucking flames. The setlist was semi identical to the one from SF, but... with a twist. They added (didn't replace anything), Jotun, Artifacts of the Black Rain, and my personal favorite song which I've always wanted to hear live, GYROSCOPE. Needless to say the band was very very good tonight. They had an energy I just don't see in many bands these days. They played some nice old school melodic death metal, and played it fucking well. As mentioned, Gyroscope and Jotun were played and were fucking awesome. And then we got Behind Space, which was the best rendition I ever heard. And even some slight slayer homage with a tiny bit of reign in blood mixed into one of the new songs.

I was very impressed with in flames set (2 hours), a lot more impressed then I thought I was gonna be. And god dammit, I had fun. I highely suggest seeing them on this tour, even if you don't exactly like the setlist (which i didn't) because they play one hell of a show.

-Eric

EricT said:
And then the main event, In fucking flames. The setlist was semi identical to the one from SF, but... with a twist. They added (didn't replace anything), Jotun, Artifacts of the Black Rain, and my personal favorite song which I've always wanted to hear live, GYROSCOPE. Needless to say the band was very very good tonight. They had an energy I just don't see in many bands these days. They played some nice old school melodic death metal, and played it fucking well. As mentioned, Gyroscope and Jotun were played and were fucking awesome. And then we got Behind Space, which was the best rendition I ever heard. And even some slight slayer homage with a tiny bit of reign in blood mixed into one of the new songs.

I was very impressed with in flames set (2 hours), a lot more impressed then I thought I was gonna be. And god dammit, I had fun. I highely suggest seeing them on this tour, even if you don't exactly like the setlist (which i didn't) because they play one hell of a show.

-Eric

holy shit. you are so fucking lucky you got those songs, fuck thats awesome, i'd kill to see jotun gyroscope and aotbr live.

Last time In Flames played here, they had Chimaira opening for them, as well as some crappy local band. I think the worst part of In Flames' new scene and image is that you have to stomach the opening acts before they come on.

Sounds like the DevilDriver singer was a prick to the sound crew. Getting aggro doesn't help anybody, and who's to say it was the sound crew's fault. Sometimes the in-house gear just dies in the ass and the only people to blame are the establishment for not maintaining it.

Moonlapse said:
Last time In Flames played here, they had Chimaira opening for them.

I hadn't even heard of Chimaira before that gig. I wasn't to big into In Flames at that point, and am now majorly over them, but I craved a gig. Anyway, it was pretty alright. They played Episode 666, didn't they? Yessum, they did. I'm gunna listen to that song right now.