Review the last movie you saw thread

White Men Can't Jump

Seen this movie a shitload of times 10-15 years ago... Was one of those movies that I watched a million times as a kid (like Point BreaK).

It is so funny now... I used to think they were so cool... Now they are just weird purple tight wearing basketballers sporting 90's caps with the peak flipped up.

So many of the 'cool' lines from back in the day are so gay now. haha. "See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!"

Did you know they are in production of Point Break 2?

It doesnt have Keanu or Swayze or Gary Bussey but I think it is the same characters (Johnny Utah and maybe Bodhi.... maybe he didnt die on the wave? Maybe he found an unclaimed piece of meat in Baha..... turned out to be Rosie? And your balls... Man, you're balls are like this big........ Utah, Get me 2........ Your cold because all of the blood is rushing from your body, you're going to be dead soon. Hope it was worth it.... too much testosterone around here..... You can't just call time out and paddle back into the beach if you don't like the way things are going!)

Today I watched:

Aguirre, Wrath of God

My first Werner Herzog film. Obviously an absolute classic but I didn't really have a clue what to expect going in - I knew nothing about it except that Herzog and Kinski hated each other with a passion whilst making it... enough to make a few more movies after that. Great film.

Where Eagles Dare

Excellent stuff. I didn't realise until now that the film wasn't based on a novel at all, but was from an Alistair MacLean original screenplay. The 1960s WWII mission film is one of my favourite sub-genres, but I've only seen a few of them - Where Eagles Dare, The Guns of Navarone and The Dirty Dozen. Can anyone suggest any others that I'm forgetting?

That was from 1976.

I typed "world war ii mission film" into Google but nothing of note came up.

I also want to start watching more 1970s government conspiracy films like 3 Days of the Condor and The Parallax View (seen the former, hope to see the latter soon).

I finally watched The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (the 1974 original) this evening. Not sure why it took me so long - I guess I was just never interested in it. Very good film anyway.

Is Franklin the most annoying character in film history? Well, until his sister Sally spends the last 30 minutes or so screaming.

Today I watched:

Aguirre, Wrath of God

My first Werner Herzog film. Obviously an absolute classic but I didn't really have a clue what to expect going in - I knew nothing about it except that Herzog and Kinski hated each other with a passion whilst making it... enough to make a few more movies after that. Great film.

I remember watching this one time, quite bizarre it was.

Where Eagles Dare

Excellent stuff. I didn't realise until now that the film wasn't based on a novel at all, but was from an Alistair MacLean original screenplay. The 1960s WWII mission film is one of my favourite sub-genres, but I've only seen a few of them - Where Eagles Dare, The Guns of Navarone and The Dirty Dozen. Can anyone suggest any others that I'm forgetting?

Done a bit of a look into this and am getting suggestions the novel and screenplay were written simultaneously. Is this what you heard too?

I have been a fan of this genre too, and tend to prefer British films.

The Eagle Has Landed is an absolute classic, based on the even better novel by Jack Higgins.

Some slim pickings otherwise.

633 Squadron
Mosquito Squadron

Both of these are watchable.

The McKenzie Break is about a German escape from a POW camp in some remote part of England. Quite good actually.

I watched Gran Torino last night, what a bloody good flick, with a nice touch to finish on, classic Clint Eastwood I think, what an amazing actor/dorector, I can't think of too many of his films that I don't like

I also watched Gran Torino last week, loved it! I'm a big Clint Eastwood fan - mainly Dirty Harry - and thought this was a great film. Probably the closest character he's played to a "Dirty Harry" type for a long time too.

Clint's just a champ!

The Eagle Has Landed is an absolute classic, based on the even better novel by Jack Higgins.

The Eagle Has Landed is an all time favourite of mine also :) Watched it over and over again countless times as a kid, every time I had a day off school or something. I was hooked on that movie! Got 2 versions of it on DVD now too haha (bought the Aussie release first then saw a much better US release super cheap when I was doing a DVD order so I picked that up also).

Ahh, yeah, the Magna Pacific one I have is pretty basic. What was special about the US one you picked up, Trent?

there_will_be_blood_ver4.jpg

Fantastic movie. Daniel Day Lewis was bloody great in his rols as Daniel Plainview.
He is an Oil man and gets insanely rich by monopolising the oil game at the turn of the century....
The movie is about the relationship between him and his son, his faith (or lack of), greed, power and insanity etc...

Although it is long and slow at times.....I reccommend it.
There is not a word spoken for the first 17 minutes of the film!