Riverside: Jesus, they are brilliant!

Alcapoth

S t a r E
Apr 27, 2002
ON, Canada
Visit site
What can I say? This is the FIRST band that I can honestly say I have heard that gives me musical impact much in the way Opeth has done over the years. That alone, says alot to me considering I hold Opeth so high on the pedestal. For the longest time, they are THE band, then second place is kinda down under from there. And, I have only heard 3 off Second Life Syndrome and none yet from their debut album, Out of Myself.

No joke. I may have just found a new favourite band here. Looks like my tastes are changing. It seems I'm digging more and more into the realm of prog-rock - that's where all the emotion lies.

I must say, Conceiving Me is the best damn song I have heard all year. Ethereal. That's the word to describe it. The guitar work is just absolutely dreamy.

My god, I thought I heard the best the year has to offer with such amazing releases from Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Arcturus, Klimt 1918 & Antimatter and then comes along this band, which I have actually been meaning to check out long ago due to the feedback I've been reading up on them. The praise they are receiving is phenomenal (as are the reviews) so of course I had to check them out. It was hard getting some mp3's, but when I did hear the 3 tracks I was blown away.

The comparisons to Opeth, Anathema, Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree were stated by many, but honestly, they do share that same style in music here and there, but I really do think they have their own flavour. They sound like, well, Riverside.

It was truly kick-ass to find out they are from my family's country of origin - Poland. Hell yeah, finally a Polish band that to me is what Opeth are to Sweden. My jaw hit the ground in a sec when I found out they were from Poland. Now, I have an even GREATER reason to go back and visit my family over there, which I haven't been to in years.

I MUST see this band Live or I'll go crazy. And it looks like they're not yet big in the north american area.

To all who have not yet discovered this awesome band, do so immediately. Chances are, you'll be as impressed as I am.

The vocal work is, to my SHOCK, right on par with Mike's from Opeth in that elegant style. Geez the guy has emotion. The guitar work is right up there with Pink Floyd and the emotion of Anathema is apparent within, but to new heights. This band is like a fine mixture of all the GREAT bands that I listen to. Heck, I even heard hints of In the Woods in there....

I'm ordering both their album's as we speak.

Benighted Joe said:
Worth checking out, then, right?

Haha, yeah, I know you weren't into In the Woods when I recommended them to ya. But really, this band may be up your alley especially if you're into ALL the bands I have mentioned in my above post.

:headbang:

Phagist, thanks for the link - those songs are incredible! Funny thing is, that's exactly where I heard of the band from and haven't checked out THOSE mp3's.

Sweet deal.

Woah, "Turned You Down" is just so...damn good!

Yeah Riverside are great......but IMO their older out of myself is much better than the new one.....the harder stuff sometimes sounds very cheesy and predictable in my ears
But nevertheless they are of course worth checking out

I found all the Riverside tracks I've listened to(the ones on their website) to be very uninteresting. And yet they've always gotten a lot of praise. I'd maybe check it out, but I really don't feel it is going to be even close to the best of 05...

Yep, debut is much better than SLS, and they're really not THAT great...I feel they are still having a hard time getting out of some of that Dream Theater instrumental passages in their music, some of it sounds kind of cheesy to me, but yes, other songs are absolutely brilliant, and the singer is very emotive...I like him a lot.

Alcapoth said:
What can I say? This is the FIRST band that I can honestly say I have heard that gives me musical impact much in the way Opeth has done over the years. That alone, says alot to me considering I hold Opeth so high on the pedestal. For the longest time, they are THE band, then second place is kinda down under from there. And, I have only heard 3 off Second Life Syndrome and none yet from their debut album, Out of Myself.

No joke. I may have just found a new favourite band here. Looks like my tastes are changing. It seems I'm digging more and more into the realm of prog-rock - that's where all the emotion lies.

I must say, Conceiving Me is the best damn song I have heard all year. Ethereal. That's the word to describe it. The guitar work is just absolutely dreamy.

My god, I thought I heard the best the year has to offer with such amazing releases from Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Arcturus, Klimt 1918 & Antimatter and then comes along this band, which I have actually been meaning to check out long ago due to the feedback I've been reading up on them. The praise they are receiving is phenomenal (as are the reviews) so of course I had to check them out. It was hard getting some mp3's, but when I did hear the 3 tracks I was blown away.

The comparisons to Opeth, Anathema, Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree were stated by many, but honestly, they do share that same style in music here and there, but I really do think they have their own flavour. They sound like, well, Riverside.

It was truly kick-ass to find out they are from my family's country of origin - Poland. Hell yeah, finally a Polish band that to me is what Opeth are to Sweden. My jaw hit the ground in a sec when I found out they were from Poland. Now, I have an even GREATER reason to go back and visit my family over there, which I haven't been to in years.

I MUST see this band Live or I'll go crazy. And it looks like they're not yet big in the north american area.

To all who have not yet discovered this awesome band, do so immediately. Chances are, you'll be as impressed as I am.

The vocal work is, to my SHOCK, right on par with Mike's from Opeth in that elegant style. Geez the guy has emotion. The guitar work is right up there with Pink Floyd and the emotion of Anathema is apparent within, but to new heights. This band is like a fine mixture of all the GREAT bands that I listen to. Heck, I even heard hints of In the Woods in there....

I'm ordering both their album's as we speak.
You know your problem... you're keeping the pussy on a pedestal...

\m/

go download this song by FAILURE "Another Space Song"

The solar panels shining face
is smiling back on me
twisting off into the sun
its ok to be lonely

All my missions float away
I never trained to hard
I so caught up in the tree of stars
falling in my back yard

She'll always be one I can't find
She'll always be where I break down
She'll always hide behind a star
I'll always dream she can't be far

I've got no Houston to wind down to
I've got no protcol
Gravity's so far away wrapped on that shrinking ball
I eclipsed my memory sleeping inside this pod
patient time will carry me on her back without a sigh

And I won't let her down
my soul is celestial bound
and if i'm never found
she'll always be......

She'll always be one I can't find
She'll always be where I break down
She'll always hide behind a star
I'll always dream she can't be far

Second Life Syndrome is in my top 3 of 2005 with GR and Deadwing.

I've been a fan of Riverside since their first release and IMO SLS is better than Out Of Myself. (You should also check the EP that they released for the fan club earlier this year.)

There was a HUGE review of the new album 3 weeks ago in Montreal's biggest newspaper. I think that with a little push of Inside Out, this band could become as big as Opeth and PT in the next few years !

I think the Out of Myself EP is their best work to date. The Time I was Daydreaming has got to be their best song, by far.

riverdance.jpg