Riverside: Jesus, they are brilliant!

I just got Second Life Syndrome, and I agree that it's amazing. Besides Mikael, the singer also reminds me a bit of Vincent from Anathema. Some of the riffs on this album are ripped off from some other songs, but I don't know if that's intentional. Example: The title track at about 10 minutes -> Tool: The Grudge
It doesn't bother me that much though. Great stuff.

the only song I've been able to get into by Riverside is "Reality Dream II" on their "Out Of Myself" album. The other stuff hasn't clicked yet, but I'll see what happens if I listen to them more often.

Reality Dream II is a great song by the way. It has that capturing depressing mood to it.

I think their singer is faking it. He sounds sooo emotional, but instead of wanting to hug him, you wish to shake him and ask what his problem is. He is also responsible for the weaker moments on Indukti's debut album, which would be even better if entirely instrumental.

I was a bit sceptical about Riverside at first - they sounded a bit 'generic prog'. But listening to Second Life Syndrome, although there are obviously Floydian/Porcupine Tree/Anathema/Tool moments, they don't feel like a rip-off or tribute band. They definitely have their own sound, they're just not afraid to show their influences. A nice blend of short and long songs, heavy and mellow, and most certainly one of the best albums of 2005 for me ;)

Heh finally a band from Poland that gets international recognition... and fans ;) Good thing they make way for my band :D

But seriously. it's easily the best band in Poland and one of my favourite overall! It's a pity they don't play live so often... After Opeth this is the band I anticipate to see the most

The solar panels shining face
is smiling back on me
twisting off into the sun
its ok to be lonely

All my missions float away
I never trained to hard
I so caught up in the tree of stars
falling in my back yard

She'll always be one I can't find
She'll always be where I break down
She'll always hide behind a star
I'll always dream she can't be far

I've got no Houston to wind down to
I've got no protcol
Gravity's so far away wrapped on that shrinking ball
I eclipsed my memory sleeping inside this pod
patient time will carry me on her back without a sigh

And I won't let her down
my soul is celestial bound
and if i'm never found
she'll always be......

She'll always be one I can't find
She'll always be where I break down
She'll always hide behind a star
I'll always dream she can't be far

I love that song...I haven't listened to it for awhile, thanks for the reminder, I think I'll dig it out.

:Wreath: said:
Heh finally a band from Poland that gets international recognition... and fans ;) Good thing they make way for my band :D

But seriously. it's easily the best band in Poland and one of my favourite overall! It's a pity they don't play live so often... After Opeth this is the band I anticipate to see the most
Decapitated gets international recognition too.

Yeah, and Vader and Behemoth too but it's great that finally something other than death metal gets exported ;) (not that I dislike dm!) BTW, Riverside's drummer played in a lot of death and black metal outfits before Riverside and frankly I got interested in Riversid only because I knew him from a few other bands... Talk about change of style :D

Good job man! :D Imagine... Mike calls the guys and promises to produce their new album... It would be an interesting circle in history ;) but it's probably me imagining stuff (and peeing in my pants at the same time :p )

BTW, Riverside's drummer played in a lot of death and black metal outfits before Riverside and frankly I got interested in Riversid only because I knew him from a few other bands... Talk about change of style :D
Yup, he looks death metal to me, haven't heard about him before, though. Could you name some of the bands in which he played?
BTW I can't imagine Akerfeldt not falling in love with Riverside's music. It's way better than Porcupine Tree (maybe it's because of Wilson's voice, which I find annoying at times. Marisz Duda's vocal would nicely fit into PT. I wonder if he could growl a bit more on the next album :D )

I've start listening to them some days ago. Great band indeed, with imediate entrance to my Top 10, but not at Opeth level yet. But they certainly promise. Very good influences.

Yup, he looks death metal to me, haven't heard about him before, though. Could you name some of the bands in which he played?

Hate and Domain are the two he played in as a band member. You probably don't know about them but Hate at some time was said to dethrone Vader in the future... although it hasn't happened yet :p Other than that he played as a session drummer for numerous black metal bands... He's a pretty cool guy, I bump into him quite often as he seems to live not too far away from me. Wish I could talk to Mariusz though :Smug:

You probably don't know about them but Hate at some time was said to dethrone Vader in the future... although it hasn't happened yet :p
I guess it won't happen, since they lost such a great drummer :)
Liquid Tension said:
For me the Indukti is better!
Indukti sounds like a Riverside's clone but its much more complex (therefore maybe it resembles Opeth a bit more?). The first two songs on S.U.S.A.R sound great and are indeed better than quite a few songs that can be heard on Riverside's albums. I like the way they experiment with violin and incorporate all those strange sounds into their music. It really creates a great atmosphere, which kind of reminds me of BWP and the whining guitars in the background. They definitely have a potential but Riverside is simply easier to listen to :) . Nevertheless another mind-blowing band on my list.

^ Oh nice to see a lad from my country :D Dobrze wiedzieć że w naszym smutnym kraju są ludzie których interesuje dobra muzyka ;)

I never heard Indukti but I guess I should check them out...

I think Indukti is much more a clone of Tool. The only reference to Riverside is obviously Duda, and the songs with his vocals are the weakest on SUSAR to me. But again, that's because I do not like his voice. Instrumentally, this is pretty interesting, because it makes a huge wall of sound out of sparse beginnings, few notes and slight, nuanced rhythmical variations without sounding math-rock. The violin and harp are cool as well.