Royal Carnage March Madness - Sweet 16 (Votes Needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J. said:
yeah, it's going to be interesting seeing Agalloch battle Maiden, since everyone around here praises Agalloch continuously. FOr example Erik, will he vote for Agalloch who released "the best album ever" or will he vote Maiden because they are "heavy fucking metal".
... or will he vote Maiden because they released fucking many KILLER albums and he's loved them since before his teens?

Bracket 1
Ulver
Agalloch

Bracket 2
Burzum
The Lord Weird Slough Feg (have heard neither...only one MDB song which sucked, hm TLWSF it is then)

Bracket 3
Amorphis (no idea about any of those, but Amorphis has a cooler name than Carcarss)
Drudkh (dont't like Drudkh that much but have heard almost nothing by Enslaved... the coin flip choose in favour of Drudkh :D )

Bracket 4
Opeth (have heard two Opeth songs and none by Death)
Bathory (this therad makes me wonder what I've actually been listening to; I have only heard one Bathory song which I can recall, and only SotS by AtG hehe)

Random Beard said:
If Bathory loses to Opeth, I forever declare your forum voters' opinions illogical. :)
Would someone kindlly explain the fascination with Bathory to me? On a couple of occasions I've tried to spin up one of their CDs. However, I'm always stopped dead in my tracks by the production. It sounds as if the music was recorded on a Joani Loves Chachi Hand-Held Tape Recorder.

Zod

Marksveld said:
Yeah seriously, if Opeth beats Bathory... than I think my world just my fall apart. Chances of it happening though are quite slim...
I may have to post a link to this thread in the Opeth forum. Quorthon couldn't cary [size=-1]Akerfeldt[/size]'s jock (Zod runs for cover).

Zod

Iron Maiden vs. Ulver
Emperor vs. Agalloch

Bracket 2
Burzum vs. Primordial
The Lord Weird Slough Feg vs. My Dying Bride

Bracket 3
Carcass vs. Amorphis
Enslaved vs. Drudkh

Bracket 4
Opeth vs. Death
Bathory vs. At the Gates

Iron Maiden vs. Ulver
Emperor vs. Agalloch

Bracket 2
Burzum vs. Primordial
The Lord Weird Slough Feg vs. My Dying Bride (no opinion)

Bracket 3
Carcass vs. Amorphis
Enslaved vs. Drudkh

Bracket 4
Opeth vs. Death
Bathory vs. At the Gates

I dunno about this...Maiden have got a tough run against Ulver here, they should beat Agalloch (2 albums? Come on, what next, a band releases 1 album and it beats an entire legacy?), but they might struggle a little with Primordial...

So, seeing as this isn't the Old School forum, there is a chance that this might end up Primordial vs. Bathory.

If that were to happen, all I can say is "wow".

General Zod said:
Would someone kindlly explain the fascination with Bathory to me?

In no particular order:

1. We did an RC feature (in the event of Quorthon's death, but we would have done one anyway). Readers participated as well: http://www.royalcarnage.com/Features/bathory/bathory_index.htm

2. They directly influenced not 1 but 2 genres: Black and Viking Metal.

3. The viking 'trilogy', most notably, "Hammerheart", is widely hailed by most fans of metal (independent of genre favouritism).

4. Most importantly, the emotion. Fuck me, in all its own simplicity, the music of Bathory is just drenched in emotion. If making comparisons, their isn't a single Opeth album that is drenched with as much emotion as what you'd hear in "Hammerheart".

Possibly in the way that you might hear emotion in Primordial, Bathory has that same epic approach. That's why I think a match up between Primordial and Bathory would be significant. (Even if it doesn't work out that way in this tournament, it would make a good individual poll).

JayKeeley said:
I dunno about this...Maiden have got a tough run against Ulver here, they should beat Agalloch (2 albums? Come on, what next, a band releases 1 album and it beats an entire legacy?), but they might struggle a little with Primordial...

So, seeing as this isn't the Old School forum, there is a chance that this might end up Primordial vs. Bathory.

If that were to happen, all I can say is "wow".

I honestly just cannot believe that Ulver is even within a stone's throw of Iron Maiden.

IRON FUCKING MAIDEN vs. some jagoff NS reject with a Casio. You fucking morons should be ashamed of yourselves.
loco.gif

JayKeeley said:
4. Most importantly, the emotion. Fuck me, in all its own simplicity, the music of Bathory is just drenched in emotion. If making comparisons, their isn't a single Opeth album that is drenched with as much emotion as what you'd hear in "Hammerheart".
I'll check out the RC feature. Is "Hammerheart" the best place to start?

Zod

markgugs said:
I honestly just cannot believe that Ulver is even within a stone's throw of Iron Maiden.

IRON FUCKING MAIDEN vs. some jagoff NS reject with a Casio. You fucking morons should be ashamed of yourselves.
loco.gif
I haven't spent a lot of time listening to Ulver, but based on what I've heard and how little it impressed me, I'd concur.

Zod

General Zod said:
I'll check out the RC feature. Is "Hammerheart" the best place to start?

Zod

Greg, you want to trade some CDRs? I'll burn you Hammerheart & Twilight of the Gods (best 2 IMO) in exchange for a copy of the last Cradle of Filth and I don't know, something else cool that I don't have. You should test the waters before buying anything.

FWIW, I enjoy Bathory, but don't think they're as OMG TEHHEYEYE BESSTSST BAND EVVARRRR!!!11!!1

Let me know.

Henrik: I was being facetious about Ulver, simply to prove a point that they do not belong nor deserve mention in the same breath as Iron Fucking Maiden, capece?

Status
Not open for further replies.