Russian Movies

17 Mgnoveniy Vesny (17 moments (blinks of an eye) of Spring)... that's a classical example. A story of a russian spy based on real events during the WWII...

Absolutely, Семнадцать мгновений весны / Seventeen instants of spring
is a classic and is a prime example of the quality of Russian TV series & movies.
Russian TV movies were made by such masters as Ryazanov & Zakharov.

Good for you. Movie nuts will love your site. I guarantee it. The more you share, the better.

I actually hate Hollywood. When I request war movies, it's not for the explosions and other displays of firepower. It's because the best and the worst of people is displayed in war. I think it's the most powerful form of drama. 'Glory', 'Attack!' and 'Platoon' come to mind when I think of a war movie.

When I think of action movies, I think of Hong Kong Cinema. I love the whole idea of one guy being ambushed by 50 with swords while I, the viewer, am thinking, 'are you guys crazy?! He's got an umbrella!!!'

To be honest, though, I'm very used to a black / white, good guy / bad guy movie. I don't believe in it, I complain about it, I try to ignore it, but I sure am used to it.

My friend from the Ukraine mentioned 17 Instants of Spring as a Russian movie which he thought I would like. I told him that I was told that I wouldn't like Russian movies, and he gave that as counterpoint. He was also impressed when I said 'instants'. Props to PG for that one.

I've recently started to translate my actor pages,
so far Armen Dzhigarkhanyan, Aleksandr Abdulov, Yevgeni Leonov & Nikita Mihalkov.
All 4 are very good, and they also directed movies. Actually I listed them in order of how many films they directed, Mihalkov is most known in America as a director.
Tell me what you think. If you like it. I'll do my best to translate the rest.

Anyone seen "Night watch"? It's in theaters now, and is a very good Russian Sci-Fi / Fantasy movie ("Lord of the Rings" meets "Prophecy"). It's been out on DVD for some time, but since Fox bought all American distribution rights, they have mandated to stop making NTSC formatted dvds of it. The disk has been slowly disappearing from even Russian stores in America. And Fox kept postponing the release until limited release on friday, while sequel "Day Watch" is already out in Russia. Both installments beat American movies in Russia. And the studio is insisting on filming the 3rd part in English. Ain't US movie studios wonderful :rolleyes: