Satanic metal...a retrospective analysis

STINNETT

Bad / Nationwide
Dec 12, 2005
USA
www.stinnettguitars.com
When I was a teenager, I would listen to albums like "Deicide" and be totally creeped out by the Satanic lyrics and unabashed blasphemy, etc. That's sort of why I liked it I guess, (although that was secondary to the music itself).
I think it was mostly because I was still hanging on to a lot of the religious upbringing that I had.

When I listen to that stuff now, it's so laughably hilarious. It's almost as bad as Christian music. It's all of this crap about Satan destroying God and taking over the world, God being an asshole, etc. :lol:

Anyway I was just sitting here working, and in a fit of nostalgia I started listening to some Deicide and suddenly I'm thinking about all of this. I still love it because the music is awesome, but it's lost basically all of the creepy vibe that it used to have and almost seems like a joke. I'm kind of sad about that. I wonder - is it just because I'm older, or because I don't believe in any sort of religious mythology? A little of both?

I guess that begs the question, are superstitious / religious adults creeped out by overtly Satanic music? Can anyone here attest to that?

I remember my mother hearing a tiny bit of that music from my room a few times when I was young. When I got older and made it clear to her that I was no longer religious, the "evil" metal was the first thing she thought of. :lol:

She couldn't be more wrong. In all honestly, I think I turned away from religion in spite of my enjoyment of such music, because hell - it's not nearly as cool if you can't take it seriously.

:cry:

Sorry for the long and pointless post. I just thought some other older members might like to reminisce with me. :)

That reminds me of this guy I used to work with. He was like 50 years old, and once he told me that he couldn't watch "The Exorcist" because it was "too creepy".

I asked him, "Dude, how old are you", and he took offense. I think he said something about how that could really happen..... I guess that sort of answers my question.

I'm a pretty big Deicide fan, and I'll agree that it sucks when older people blame the "evil metal" on things you believe in, or don't in this case. In my experience the more superstitious/religious people are, the more they buy in to the lyrics, rather than the kickass music.

And yes, it does suck when you have to explain to your mom that the song you're listening to is called "confessional rape." I'll never forget the day I came home from highschool and my grandmother who was living with us at the time opened up my Once upon the Cross I'd left out. Dissected Jesus ruined my night.

Same here pretty much. When I was a wee lad, those were the almost "forbidden" albums that made me feel like I was doing something wrong by listening to haha.

Now I can laugh at it. I can also laugh at a lot of the uber-kvlt black metal bands. Some bands still give me that "creepy" feeling, but strangely enough these bands don't claim to be satanic and it isn't their main theme in the slightest.

-Joe

hilarious ? it's more hilarious than christians ahahahah
Yeah Stinnet I'm with you ;) I started listening to deicide back in 1994 (I was 16) and at that time I thought it was cool to be against god, then after a year or two I realized how dumb ass was that ahhahah I'm never been a religiuos/satanic guy really.
I hate religion of any kind.
Anyway I enjoy a lot listening to deicide still one of the best satanic band out there ;)

Yeah old catholic people are scared by that shit lol ;)

I'm a pretty big Deicide fan, and I'll agree that it sucks when older people blame the "evil metal" on things you believe in, or don't in this case. In my experience the more superstitious/religious people are, the more they buy in to the lyrics, rather than the kickass music.

And yes, it does suck when you have to explain to your mom that the song you're listening to is called "confessional rape." I'll never forget the day I came home from highschool and my grandmother who was living with us at the time opened up my Once upon the Cross I'd left out. Dissected Jesus ruined my night.

Haha. That's why a lot of my stuff back then was on dubbed cassettes. My ass would get beat down for having an inverted cross or some shit on an album cover!

At one point, I remember Slipknot being the sickest band in the whole world :lol:

I remember buying Iowa and thinking "can I really bear listening to this?"

Turns out, I could, but I can't anymore. And that's not because of their themes or lyrics :lol:

Ah, my days of "satanic" music. Good times. I used to have a tree fort hidden in some woods where my friends and I used to "worship the devil" smoke weed and listen to the sickest music we could find. (all judged by the album work on the cassettes :lol:) Dam I was a dumb kid. :erk:

Come to think of it, I can't remember what bands at all. :p

That reminds me of this guy I used to work with. He was like 50 years old, and once he told me that he couldn't watch "The Exorcist" because it was "too creepy".

I asked him, "Dude, how old are you", and he took offense. I think he said something about how that could really happen..... I guess that sort of answers my question.

You know what, I'm almost 36 and "The Exorcist" still creeps me the fuck out:zombie: For me it has nothing to do with "it could really happen" ... just find it creepy

as for metal, all the over-the-top satan metal never did anything to me but one band still gives me that "creepy" feeling I get when I watch "The Exorcist"

Celtic Frost

mostly the older stuff and before anyone makes an obvious joke, no, not "Cold Lake" era frost

I mean more like "Morbid Tales" and "To Megatherion" .... even the last one they did

I suppose I once felt that the bands with lyrics and themes about such things really took themselves seriously, and I guess some do, but I just look at it as theatrics for the sake of creating an atmosphere and that still allows me to enjoy it and get caught up in the evilness without taking any of it too seriously :headbang:

Well, once you grow hair on your balls and find out that your 'evil satanic anti-heroes' really only coquet with the image themselves, it's pretty demystifying.

I suppose I could agree that the Exorcist is indeed a creepy movie, but not to the point that I couldn't watch it.

It's like my mother could bear the noise of satanic music or the themes of a satanic movie just as well as I could physically bear rap music or a Nicholas Cage movie, but while I just wouldn't want to torture myself with that stuff, she literally thinks that she runs the risk of the LORD smiting her for it.

I think I had that sort of fear as a youngster in the late 80's early 90's. It was a good kind of fear though.

Agree with Marcus on this one. Whether it's about satan, dragons and warriors or whatever else, I can usually see the "art" in it for what it's worth.

And Will, come on 8mm rules! haha

Agree with Marcus on this one. Whether it's about satan, dragons and warriors or whatever else, I can usually see the "art" in it for what it's worth.

And Will, come on 8mm rules! haha

Oh I can relate to that too, don't get me wrong. I'm talking specifically about the music that I used to take seriously as being Satanic and dangerous to listen to when I was like 14. I guess you have to grow up in a really Christian household in order to experience that.

I stand by the only good Cage movie being Raising Arizona. :lol:

I think I had that sort of fear as a youngster in the late 80's early 90's. It was a good kind of fear though.

I never had that kind of fear. As long as I can think of, religion never 'added up'. But I wasn't being indoctrinated, so that might well play a role.

I never took Satanism as in devil-worship serious, because these people were as indoctrinated by Christian beliefs like practising Christians themselves (in fact, I consider people believing in the devil to be Christians, plain and simple), but I could connect with the humanist approach of 'actual' Satanism.

All these things: pseudo inner circles in Black Metal with their 'crusade' against the 'oppressing' Christianity, pagan/heathen spiritualism, a big terrifying Sasquatch burning an inverted cross onto his forehead... it all has this kinda 'romantic' attraction for a young adult on his wannabe-rebellious ways.

But, much as Marcus said, I can still appreciate Deicide lyrics in the same way that I appreciate Manowar lyrics. It's a façade, an image, not real. It appears in the moment you listen to it and it disappears afterwards and if you take neither them nor yourself too serious, you can (still) have a damn good time with it.

Important edit: Cage sucks.

i remember when i saw deicide and morbid angel years ago. After the show, i saw the members of deicide in their small tour van with a map out trying to find their way to the next show while the car behind them was honking at them. Hilarious! All that evil satanic scary shit went right out the window.