Satanic metal...a retrospective analysis

A lot of people try to legitimize satanism or even just make some sense out of it by attaching all of these natural, sensible ideologies to it and then insisting that the satan part is symbolic and not literal.

The problem is, there are already names for all of those sensible ideologies and philosophical groundwork for understanding them and incorporating them into your life. The addition of "satan" only robs them of their legitimacy and is entirely unnecessary.

It's like, Satan is not required to live a fullfilling life any more than God is required to live a moral one.

If your message is the opposition of Christianity or religion in general - don't take an equally ludicrous position in order to deliver that message.

I agree with you by the way; which is why I don't personally call myself a Satanist. But I have respect for the intent behind it - sometimes there is nothing better than taking the piss out of something you hate.

The problem is, there are already names for all of those sensible ideologies and philosophical groundwork for understanding them and incorporating them into your life. The addition of "satan" only robs them of their legitimacy and is entirely unnecessary.

Well said. (Interesting point to think about also)
A justification I could think of might be, that for them (Satanists) the idea of the concept Antagonist (with this paint) is required because christian values and traditions are so deeply rooted in (western) civilization anyway.
Maybe it appears to them as a useable essence or mixture of all the Stirners, Nietzsches also....
But as there is such a tiny percentage of them that you can seriously talk to, we probably won't get an answer to that. :lol: