Satanic metal...a retrospective analysis

When I read the thread title I immediately thought about a headbangers journey. It´s a very well researched documentary and everyone should see it.

I recall reading an interview with Cannibal Corpse where they likened their lyrics to cheesy horror movies. It was just art, and nothing they would advocate doing, and the idea of someone actually going out and doing the things like in their lyrics would be atrocious.
I get a good humor kick out of their lyrics, which is partly what they were going for anyway.

Yeah but it depends on the band... Headbangers Journey contains a interview with a black metal musician from norway (don´t know exactly who it was, I´m not into black metal) who said that church burning is a good and normal thing and he totally supports it :ill:

I´m not a christian man and I don´t belive in god, but church burning just goes way, way too far.

When I was younger, I used to think of Holywood by Marilyn Manson as this very apt piece of art; that had depth, and substance, and was philosophical cream.

I listened to it again the other day.

It's just rock music.

:lol:

Akercocke is fuckin awesome. haha

I started paying attention to Metal Maniacs magazine when I was in like 6th grade. They used to chalk up King Diamond as being this big satanic force, so I was intrigued. I don't really think I've ever felt any satanic presence when I've listened to King Diamond, so I always thought it was just advertisement to get unsuspecting kids to check it out behind their parents back. lol

I've always summed it up the way that Cannibal Corpse explains it...had the thought of my own about it and felt all proud of myself when they had the same train of thought: It's like horror movies in general. We know its makeup and special effects behind the story, it's not real. It's all for shock value. Satanic music has the same substance because it was pushed up to piss people off and play with the stigma of their beliefs. It's simply to get a rise out of people who are easily offended, and giving an outlet for those who think that shit is really funny but too pussy to do that blasphemous attack on their own. It's easy to blast Morbid Angel and shit when you drive down the street next to the old folks home and hope they hear you and feel scared...its much more difficult to dress up like Azazel and charge through the old folks home while yelling "I'LL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL" and hoping at least 4 people have a heart attack. It's all shock value...

Even moreso...there are plenty of shitty horror flicks that aren't entertaining, and there are plenty of bands beating the satan rug that aren't entertaining either.

When I read the thread title I immediately thought about a headbangers journey. It´s a very well researched documentary and everyone should see it.

terrible documentary that's highly inaccurate and contains interviews with guys who have nothing to do with metal (*cough*alice cooper*cough*)

Satanic Metal is about as scary as a metal band fronted by Krusty The Clown. Now wait...that WOULD be scary, shit nevermind.

This thread wasn't really intended to be about explaining the point of "evil" music. I understand all of that perfectly well.

I just like to think back to being a young kid and listening to the early death metal bands, thinking that I had just started on my path to hell and there was no turning back - because I couldn't stop listening to it.
I was like 14 at the time, and death metal music was brand new. Not just to me, it was brand new period. There was obviously no internet, and no information about the bands anywhere, just dubbed cassettes being passed around. It was all so mysterious and frightening and tantalizing! I didn't understand what I was hearing.
I pictured these guys performing this music in sacrificial chambers and murdering people. The fervor with which everyone I knew denounced it only increased the appeal and the feeling of authenticity.

If I had never experienced it like that, I would not get the sort of laugh out of it that I do today.

That's one of the things you can be thankful for when growing up in a strict Christian household. :)

I think around 1991, somebody showed me an actual Cannibal Corpse cassette, so I immediately became a big CC fan. That's when I started looking for info about this new form of music. I discovered Metal Maniacs magazine and everything just snowballed from there. A couple of years later, I was totally immune to the satanic thing, I was never really bothered by the gore thing, oddly enough. There has never been a band since that shocked me in any way, I knew it was all theatrics and hype.

But nothing can compare to the honest, excited fear that accompanied my first exposure to satanic metal. That's what I wanted to talk about.

The other funny thing is that at the same time, around 1990, people were also passing around dubbed cassettes of new stuff like 2 Live Crew. That was also the first time I heard really graphic and profane rap music. That was pretty shocking too, but in a funny way.

The thing that sucks is that all of my friends latched on to the dirty rap music instead of the death metal....lol.

You can't win 'em all. It's true though. I remember even hearing SLAYER when I was about...4 years old? (Yeah i'm a young fuck.) And my parents telling me how devil worshiping it was, and that made it more taboo and thus more "scary" I guess?

In what ways is it inaccurate?

off hand, I remember that flow chart being ridiculously inaccurate. then you have the famed interviews with necrobutcher (where he's completely wasted and thus isn't a true representation of himself or the bm scene) and gaahl (which was just gaahl playing the part). then there's interviews with alice cooper, who has absolutely nothing to do with any part of the metal scene. those are the only things I'm remembering right now, as I haven't seen the docu since it came out (and really don't care to.)

Is there a truer representation of Necrobutcher than him being utterly wasted? ;)

That way he at least cut the crap and didn't hide behind the shallow political correctness you'll often find in "official" statements or many interviews.

off hand, I remember that flow chart being ridiculously inaccurate. then you have the famed interviews with necrobutcher (where he's completely wasted and thus isn't a true representation of himself or the bm scene) and gaahl (which was just gaahl playing the part). then there's interviews with alice cooper, who has absolutely nothing to do with any part of the metal scene. those are the only things I'm remembering right now, as I haven't seen the docu since it came out (and really don't care to.)

Ok well can't really speak for the necrobutcher part and I do remember the "flow chart" being a little off base (but not entirely inaccurate) but as for Alice Cooper ... while I'm not much of a fan I do have to say that its because of him that a lot of things progressed into becoming and pretty big part of the metal scene. I mean c'mon ... Kiss, King Diamond, GWAR, probably a lot of black metal, etc .... and thats just the image aspect

but hey, opinions opinions :loco: