Satanic metal...a retrospective analysis

well, necro is a relatively intelligent person (in regards to metal) when he's not completely wasted, from the other interviews I've seen/read - which is why "FUCK THEM, YA KNOW" isn't really a good representation of the man or the scene. I would have far preferred an interview with any of the other members of the band than a wasted necro.

Alice Cooper ... while I'm not much of a fan I do have to say that its because of him that a lot of things progressed into becoming and pretty big part of the metal scene. I mean c'mon ... Kiss, King Diamond, GWAR, probably a lot of black metal, etc .... and thats just the image aspect
I really doubt black metal took much of an influence from alice cooper. quite honestly, cooper doesn't have much to do with the metal scene period. kiss and king diamond would be far bigger influences in black metal, and in general kiss influenced a lot of people around the world to start playing metal in the 80s (along with the nwobhm).

This thread wasn't really intended to be about explaining the point of "evil" music. I understand all of that perfectly well.

I just like to think back to being a young kid and listening to the early death metal bands, thinking that I had just started on my path to hell and there was no turning back - because I couldn't stop listening to it.
I was like 14 at the time, and death metal music was brand new. Not just to me, it was brand new period. There was obviously no internet, and no information about the bands anywhere, just dubbed cassettes being passed around. It was all so mysterious and frightening and tantalizing! I didn't understand what I was hearing.
I pictured these guys performing this music in sacrificial chambers and murdering people. The fervor with which everyone I knew denounced it only increased the appeal and the feeling of authenticity.

If I had never experienced it like that, I would not get the sort of laugh out of it that I do today.

That's one of the things you can be thankful for when growing up in a strict Christian household. :)

I'm right there with you. I'm 33 and I remember borrowing the first decide album "tape at the time" I showed my mom to see how freaked out she would get and she took my tape and put it in between the pages of her bible until i could return it to my friend the next day.

Then I got hooked on Bob Larson. He interviewed all these death metal guys, Glen Benton, Trey Azagthoth and they would scream at him "demonically". Bob Larson introduced me to all kinds of kick ass bands, thanks Bob. From then own I was hooked. It was creepy then because I didn't know any better.

Then I went to physics class and got involved in science. GAME OVER!

What I still find creepy is people who still believe in a devil or a god that have dangerous behavior. Zionist, Radical Muslims, Dominionist Christians. Those that cant be rationed with and are in power. I traded Glen Benton as scary to the real monster Glenn Beck, That is scary shit!

I really doubt black metal took much of an influence from alice cooper. quite honestly, cooper doesn't have much to do with the metal scene period. kiss and king diamond would be far bigger influences in black metal, and in general kiss influenced a lot of people around the world to start playing metal in the 80s (along with the nwobhm).

True but both of those bands were influenced by Alice Cooper, maybe not entirely musically but the image and "shock rock" aspects

oh I forgot to add WASP to that list as well

Then I got hooked on Bob Larson. He interviewed all these death metal guys, Glen Benton, Trey Azagthoth and they would scream at him "demonically". Bob Larson introduced me to all kinds of kick ass bands, thanks Bob. From then own I was hooked. It was creepy then because I didn't know any better.

Goat lord, I've never heard of that nutjob before, so I did a little search and this popped up:

http://www.vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?glen-benton-vs-bob-larson-phone-calls-part-2=&i=UXk0OEJLcWuRpaUI2Z0k

I'm laughing so hard. :lol:

When I was a teenager, I would listen to albums like "Deicide" and be totally creeped out by the Satanic lyrics and unabashed blasphemy, etc. That's sort of why I liked it I guess, (although that was secondary to the music itself).
I think it was mostly because I was still hanging on to a lot of the religious upbringing that I had.

When I listen to that stuff now, it's so laughably hilarious. It's almost as bad as Christian music. It's all of this crap about Satan destroying God and taking over the world, God being an asshole, etc. :lol:

Anyway I was just sitting here working, and in a fit of nostalgia I started listening to some Deicide and suddenly I'm thinking about all of this. I still love it because the music is awesome, but it's lost basically all of the creepy vibe that it used to have and almost seems like a joke. I'm kind of sad about that. I wonder - is it just because I'm older, or because I don't believe in any sort of religious mythology? A little of both?

I guess that begs the question, are superstitious / religious adults creeped out by overtly Satanic music? Can anyone here attest to that?

I remember my mother hearing a tiny bit of that music from my room a few times when I was young. When I got older and made it clear to her that I was no longer religious, the "evil" metal was the first thing she thought of. :lol:

She couldn't be more wrong. In all honestly, I think I turned away from religion in spite of my enjoyment of such music, because hell - it's not nearly as cool if you can't take it seriously.

:cry:

Sorry for the long and pointless post. I just thought some other older members might like to reminisce with me. :)

Have you listened to any real "Satanic" bands? not shit like deicide with benton's rantings about god (despite being married in a church, hrm...)

I mean bands like deathspell omega, funeral mist, ofermod, ondskapt, armagedda, etc. you should read the lyrics to dso's "si monumentum requires, circumspice" and "fas - ite, malediciti, in ignem aeternum". far more intelligently written than benton's bullshit about "DEATH TO JESUS!"

Have you listened to any real "Satanic" bands? not shit like deicide with benton's rantings about god (despite being married in a church, hrm...)

I mean bands like deathspell omega, funeral mist, ofermod, ondskapt, armagedda, etc. you should read the lyrics to dso's "si monumentum requires, circumspice" and "fas - ite, malediciti, in ignem aeternum". far more intelligently written than benton's bullshit about "DEATH TO JESUS!"

What would this prove if he did listen to these bands? That satan is real because the music is so evil? Real "Satanic" bands are fooling themselves. They may have more clever lyrics and they themselves my believe in a devil. In the end up like dumb ass Varg.

DsO's addressing and portrayal of "Satan" as a metaphysical being might well happen on a different level than Benton's "profane" 'devil worship', yet I think their position and content is easily as much deceiving, ignorant and indoctrinating as they deny a possible non-existence of such a metaphorical entity vehemently.

They condemn "small minded rationalists" yet they don't accept differing opinions themselves. Like so many in this genre: hypocrites.

BUT their music is good, as is Deicide's.

I had a feeling someone would come in sooner or later with a comment about "real" satanic bands. :lol:

Those lyrics are certainly much more developed and literary than Glen Benton's childish rambling, and I can appreciate the artistic nature of it, but no amount of sophistication can elevate the central idea of "Satanism" beyond what it really is...and I'm not going to get into that. Let's just say, it cannot be taken seriously.

Lets face it, to believe in Satanism you have to believe in the principles of Christianity - that there is a devil yadayada, if you don't then its insincere, if you do then you're a nutjob.

"Satanic" bands therefor are either full of insincerity or full of nutjobs.

Öwen;8862871 said:
Lets face it, to believe in Satanism you have to believe in the principles of Christianity - that there is a devil yadayada, if you don't then its insincere, if you do then you're a nutjob.

"Satanic" bands therefor are either full of insincerity or full of nutjobs.

You just don't understand Satanism.

I think what Öwen is talking about is people who believe in the spiritual world and think there is actually a devil. I think we all know "Satanism" is just humanism identifying with the archetypal devil/lucifer as being your own god.

I got a kick out of this documentary.

Last edited by a moderator:

"You just don't understand Islam, Christianity, Judaism has been the standard line of baloney from every religious apologist throughout history.

When Muslims rioted about editorial cartoons, it was "you just don't understand Islam."

When I ask my minister friend why "God" has never regrown a limb for an amputee, yet 'cures' cancer victims, I'm told I "just don't understand.'

I'm tired of being wrong all the time... please, would someone enlighten me?

(Sorry Drew, my comment is not a rip on you personally. But the "understand" line in a pure cop-out.)

so what would you like extreme metal to talk about, then? love and puppies?

There is plenty of extreme real stuff to talk about. Even if you still talk about religion, you don't have to pretend to worship the dark lord.

I kind of like plain old anti-religious music, in fact I was making it for a while:

www.myspace.com/blackprophecy666

:lol:

I had a pretty good feeling that I could fill several albums with material about persecution, religious violence, the inquisition, etc.

A lot of people try to legitimize satanism or even just make some sense out of it by attaching all of these natural, sensible ideologies to it and then insisting that the satan part is symbolic and not literal.

The problem is, there are already names for all of those sensible ideologies and philosophical groundwork for understanding them and incorporating them into your life. The addition of "satan" only robs them of their legitimacy and is entirely unnecessary.

It's like, Satan is not required to live a fullfilling life any more than God is required to live a moral one.

If your message is the opposition of Christianity or religion in general - don't take an equally ludicrous position in order to deliver that message.

Well I'll speak on behalf of a religious person. I fall into the SHORT category of religious people who couldn't give 2 tosses about what others do etc.

I chose my path for myself not others, so I don't feel any weirdness or creepyness etc when I listen to satanic shit etc. I don't really care lol.
Even the lyrics themselves, I'm a musician, it's art etc. If it's well written blah blah, I really don't care what is said about religion etc. It's music, and that's all it is for me :)

Heck , I love me some deicide everyso often, that shit's brutal!

\m/

The thing you've got to remember with Satanism... it's a reaction to Christianity and holier-than-thou morality from the 1960's. Satan is indeed a symbol (and as I understand it, actually means the accuser or opposite in Hebrew)

It's not really a religion, more of a philosophy. In the same way you couldn't say that humanism or pragmatism were religions - they're not. They're philosophies that borrow symbology from the external world.

You can get level headed guys reading the LaVeyian books, just as you can get pompous tossers reading them too. But you also get these Nordic imbeciles who don't get enough sunlight! :lol:

It's these Sun-o-phobes that are majorly responsible for black and death metal; there is a good book called Lucifer Rising by Gavin Baddeley:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lucifer-Rising-Book-Devil-Worship/dp/0859652807[/ame]

It goes someway to explaining the link between Satanism and music.

I've read all the LaVey books; but to be honest, I don't really class myself as anything other than a humanist. If you're interested in Philosophy, then the Satanic Bible is an interesting thought experiment; but nothing more than that.

All Satanists of the LaVey school will pretty much tell you that Satan does not exist and he is just being used as an archetype. Think of it like those Dungeons and Dragons freaks you remember from school :lol: