show last night (NYC 11/3)

Sfarog

Trapped in hated logic
Feb 10, 2002
NYC
www.gwynbleidd.com
sleep.gif

oh my god, my only guess is they played off the click track and set it to original CD tempos. It just draaaaaagggeeeddd.... My suggestion is either play it live or increase those tempos on the click track.

and, too much talk between songs, Akerfeldt is pushing this whole stand up comedy routine. Just be a musician, play. Noone gives a fuck about your lovely personality.

Sound was good, nice and clear which is great, but they only used the PA in front and not on sides, which in essence meant everything was too quiet. The PA was way too small for this amount of space. You're not supposed to be able to hear other people's conversations around you during a friggin rock/metal concert!!
grindteeth.gif

Hope this helps.

Sfarog said:
sleep.gif

and, too much talk between songs, Akerfeldt is pushing this whole stand up comedy routine. Just be a musician, play. Noone gives a fuck about your lovely personality.

Sound was good, nice and clear which is great, but they only used the PA in front and not on sides, which in essence meant everything was too quiet. The PA was way too small for this amount of space. You're not supposed to be able to hear other people's conversations around you during a friggin rock/metal concert!!
grindteeth.gif

Hope this helps.

I don't think the between songs talk from Akerfeldt was at all too much. It was exactly the usual amount, and very funny.

I thought the volume was just about right. The First band was WAY too loud, and Nevermore and Opeth were good. It was a great show, IMO.

^ Eaxactly!

I think Mike rocks, and damn, he definitely made me chuckle from time to time. Good times! I was at the Montreal show, though - it was amazing!

Blackhorse_Experience said:
I thought it was good. I like when he talks between songs, If you just wanna hear the songs than listen to the CDs...

I don't mind him talking either, but he's talking more and more these days. Anyways, that wasnt a problem for me so much as the slow tempos. it just killed it which is too fucking bad in the least.

The show was incredible, but the sound was awful for Into Eternity and Nevermore. The bass was waaaaaaay too loud, and drowned out almost everything else. All the bands put on a killer performance, and it was good to see Opeth in such good spirits after how everyone said they were the night before.

Also, whats the big deal about him talking? It's his show and he was having fun, and I know I was too! :headbang:

The sound was good, Mike was funny, and the drummer's execution was perfect. It was a good show. :headbang:

Oh, and Nevermore was quite impressive also, and I'm not too fimiliar with their music (by choice). The guitar solos were awesome, and the drummer had some nice rhythms, too.

I thought the show was amazing. Only disappointing thing was that Warrel still had his cold and it was tough to hear him. I thought Opeth owned. I was the second person in line and got to meet Loomis and Smyth. Awesome guys.

Whoever said something about the sound not being loud enough was right tho...I didn't wanna hear the stupid conversations these girls were having behind me. That all changed after the pits started. They got outta there real fast.

I like that Mikael has a sense of humor. For a metal show, he keeps the mood light and the crowd in good spirits. I appreciate that for such a serious musician, he doesn't take himself that seriously. I think it makes what he does all the more imppressive.

I do think that the songs are being played pretty slowly. I've only seen them once (in Worcester), so I don't know if that's just what they do live. I was thinking it was to give the new drummer a break.

Ive seen opeth a few times, and i have to say ive noticed the tempo thing only with martin axenrot. With martin lopez he puts more feel into to it and he gets faster and slower on parts which does sound good. Martin axenrot keeps a constant pace which is every very impressive i find. An immaculate drummer but doesnt put the extra fills and articulation lopez does.

affinityband said:
Ive seen opeth a few times, and i have to say ive noticed the tempo thing only with martin axenrot. With martin lopez he puts more feel into to it and he gets faster and slower on parts which does sound good. Martin axenrot keeps a constant pace which is every very impressive i find. An immaculate drummer but doesnt put the extra fills and articulation lopez does.

I seriously doubt its because of Axenrot, he's a very good drummer and could easily play all this stuff much faster. More likely they started using click tracks (metronome) for reference, but the tempo's are set too slow, possibly to original song speeds which is not preferable in live situation. While it is considered "professional" in some way, I prefer live performance as opposed to click track performance, it just sounds more energetic, natural.. which is a good thing!

Well, if they used a click, it's set slower than the album. Very noticeable at the end of Deliverance. But the double kick made my insides rattle, so I didn't mind terribly much.

affinityband said:
Martin axenrot keeps a constant pace which is every very impressive i find. An immaculate drummer but doesnt put the extra fills and articulation lopez does.

I noticed that as well. Like the fill Lopez does during the bridge in "In My Time of Need". But I agree, Axenrot does a fabulous job.

My short review...

It was an all standing venue so I opted to go in the balcony section. Didn't feel like getting moshed, heehee. Turned out good because I got a perfect bird's eye view of the stage.

This was my first Opeth show and it totally rocked. First off, here is the setlist...

Baying of the Hounds
When
Bleak
In My Time of Need
The Grand Conjuration
Face of Melinda
Deliverance
Blackwater Park

Demon of the Fall

Mikael cracked me up a few times. He gave a death metal growl course to the fans.... He would grunt, then everybody followed him with that. The funniest part (for me) was after Deliverance (which happened to be my fave performance of the evening). After the song was over, Mikael stood there and said... "That was great" .... then he claps..... "That was wonderful" ..... he claps again..... "That was fantastic".... and yet he claps once again!!! Writing this out doesn't make it seem funny at all... you had to see it. It was like he was complimenting himself on the band's performance. Gotta love it.

Awesome guitar solos between Mikael and Peter. I loved when Mike went over to face him and they jammed out together.

It's so much fun watching Martin Mendez. He spreads his legs out so far that he is practically on the floor. His hair almost touches the floor as well as he swings his head from side to side and off rhythm (which is so cool by the way) to the music.

Per did a very nice solo in "In My Time of Need". Interesting to see a keyboard player headbanging with such a frenzy.

And like I said above, Martin Axenrot did an excellent job. Lopez is sorely missed though. I hope he gets well soon for the next tour.

Finally, one cannot leave out the mosh pit!! These guys were great. I was standing right over them and couldn't help from lmao. They were pushing/punching/smashing each other for one moment, then all of a sudden they go back to their original standing positions like none of it ever happened. Like it was just a natural/expected thing to do. Quite a few guys decided to crowd surf and each one wound up in front of the stage. At that point, the security gaurds would take them right out of the air and point to them to get out of the room. As these guys were walking out, they did it while headbanging!!! Seriously funny sh!t!! It was like no matter what happened to them (including getting kicked out of the room) they had to keep their momentum up. These guys don't mess around. hehe.

Mikael said they are coming back in February or March. \m/

My pictures came out lousy, but here is one of Peter giving a thumbs up to the crowd...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/witchaywoman/opeth1.jpg

Oh, and did anyone here meet the band afterwards?? I stood out front for quite a while but they didn't come out. Not that I saw anyway. I only saw Nevermore's tourbus.

Sfarog said:
sleep.gif

oh my god, my only guess is they played off the click track and set it to original CD tempos. It just draaaaaagggeeeddd.... My suggestion is either play it live or increase those tempos on the click track.

grindteeth.gif

Hope this helps.

Disagree.

Akerfeldt came across as a cool guy.

And I preferred him showing his personality as opposed to the SF/Bay Area shows 5 years ago when they said absolutely nothing.

I also liked the veiled barbs he landed at the audience.

Guy went up in my estimation.

Mirrored Ghost said:
Interesting to see a keyboard player headbanging with such a frenzy.
Oh man, Per totally rocks out harder than anyone else during Baying of the Hounds. I could not see him well at the very beginning, but I finally got a spot and the man was heading banging like there was no tomorrow. Very intense.

Wolff said:
Disagree.

Akerfeldt came across as a cool guy.

And I preferred him showing his personality as opposed to the SF/Bay Area shows 5 years ago when they said absolutely nothing.

I also liked the veiled barbs he landed at the audience.

Guy went up in my estimation.

:Spin:

Sfarog said:
sleep.gif

oh my god,

So evocative and emotional...

Sfarog said:
my only guess is they played off the click track and set it to original CD tempos.
Were you expecting a techno act?

Sfarog said:
It just draaaaaagggeeeddd.... My suggestion is either play it live or increase those tempos on the click track.
Play it live or increase those tempos? Huh? Do you even read what you write?

Sfarog said:
I disagree, and so did most of the people in the audience, and the forum.
So "noone (sic) gives a fuck" is a little too strong. And since we're at it, wrong.

Sfarog said:
Sound was good, nice and clear which is great, but they only used the PA in front and not on sides, which in essence meant everything was too quiet.

such beautiful prose you write. Only problem being, namely it makes no sense. One cannot be good nice and clear and too quiet at the same time.

Sfarog said:
The PA was way too small for this amount of space. You're not supposed to be able to hear other people's conversations around you during a friggin rock/metal concert!!
grindteeth.gif

Yeah, it's supposed to be so effing loud that you go deaf.

Sfarog said:
Hope this helps.

No it doesn't. (Whom is it supposed to help anyway?) All it does is establish that you have a peanut brain. And a very small dick. Possibly both.