Show us your studio 2011 [room / racks / backline]

Meanwhile-in-England.jpg

What's up everyone,

you all probably don't have a clue who i am since I've only posted once or twice. I've been a member for a while and i haven't felt the need to post anything since all the information that i wanted I've been able to get through some thorough searching, and i didn't really have any knowledge to share that wasn't already on here lol. This forum has played a pretty big part of my learning process and I've come a long way since i first started. I've already introduced myself when i first was directed here by someone on the seymour duncan forums, but I figure what better way of re-introducing myself than show my setup on this thread.

I used to do all my shit in a big ass living room, nothing really serious, just some freelance work to get some experience, but since i moved i decided to get a dedicated room and start taking stuff more seriously. I still have to put up some acoustics, which is the first thing on my list, but i got most things setup so far. Here's what it looks like at the moment:

C-MartinDesk.jpg

C-MartinRack2.jpg

C-Martin1922.jpg

C-MartinRecordingsPanoramamed.jpg

Here's the rest of my gear, on site at the rehearsal studio to record some drum tracks for my bands demo. Drums are not mine but i can pretty much use it freely since we're all good friends. Oh, and i've included a mug shot of myself doing some tests, just to avoid another "NSGuitar SSL" incident lol.

C-MartinMobileRack.jpg

C-MartinDrums.jpg

C-MartinTesting.jpg

That's a cool desk, very similar to what I modified mine to be like. Which one is it?

It's just an old desk that i got for like 15$ at a garage sale, i tore it down and recycled the parts. The rack is made of parts from it too. It used to be one of those huge ass computer desk with shelves and drawers that went over the PC monitor. I was looking into buying a studio desk desk at first but i then figured i have tools, i know how to built shit, and my money would serve best on gear rather than a peace of furniture.

Total build cost me less than 50$, and i don't have to break my neck on creation station type desks since i built it myself i made it a comfortable height.

old busted desk - 15$
rack rails - 20$ (2x 4U, i cut one set in half for the desk)
pack of screws and a couple of support brackets for the rack -10$

Those Dynaudio's have an interesting story. I bought them off ebay and during the shipping they got damaged a bit on the corners due to poor packing. Although it's purely cosmetic, i complained about it to the seller, since they we're advertise mint condition, and i managed to get a partial refund. In the end they cost me 400$, pretty awesome deal considering they work perfectly. I can deal with minor cosmetic defects if it saves me 600$ compared to a brand new set.

The level pilot is great although it has the typical quirk with passive units at low volumes, stereo image will drift at the lowest position. However, since the dynaudio's are LOUD, i found a temporary fix with lowering the line out volume by about 15db in the mix control to avoid that area of the potentiometer. So far it's working just fine like that but i intend on getting something better eventually, Dangerous D-Box or one of the SPL. I was considering the Presonus Central Sation at one point but for some reason i can't bring myself to trust that brand for anything serious.

It's just an old desk that i got for like 15$ at a garage sale, i tore it down and recycled the parts. The rack is made of parts from it too. It used to be one of those huge ass computer desk with shelves and drawers that went over the PC monitor. I was looking into buying a studio desk desk at first but i then figured i have tools, i know how to built shit, and my money would serve best on gear rather than a peace of furniture.

Total build cost me less than 50$, and i don't have to break my neck on creation station type desks since i built it myself i made it a comfortable height.

old busted desk - 15$
rack rails - 20$ (2x 4U, i cut one set in half for the desk)
pack of screws and a couple of support brackets for the rack -10$

:lol: pretty much exactly what I did to my old desk. DIY for the win.

The level pilot is great although it has the typical quirk with passive units at low volumes, stereo image will drift at the lowest position.

Yup, I can 2nd that. Works great though otherwise!

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I think this is an appropriate place to ask this question since it's studio equipment.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/studio-xps-9100/pd
Is this computer too good to be true? Looking at the specs the price seems kind of awkward for them.
I plan on recording or mixing for bands once I get enough equipment to do so in a professional manner, and plus I really want a faster computer.
Is there any cons to this setup?

i built my studio around a xps 9100, i maxed it out with just about the best everything and i think it cost me about 2000. it is intimidating, nothing wrong with going with a dell. i recommend this computer

i built my studio around a xps 9100, i maxed it out with just about the best everything and i think it cost me about 2000. it is intimidating, nothing wrong with going with a dell. i recommend this computer

Not only can I not stand Dell's, but I despise windows. But for all that at that price, holy shit, there will have to be many computer nerds to try to talk me out of that.... but I'm still getting an iMac

Not only can I not stand Dell's, but I despise windows. But for all that at that price, holy shit, there will have to be many computer nerds to try to talk me out of that.... but I'm still getting an iMac

+1 on the iMac... you won't regret it.

Personally, I would go iMac too. I have a dell laptop, which was good spec when I bought it and I have had so much trouble with it. Maybe I was just expecting it to work out of the box.....I don't use that for recording, but compared to the G5, it has never given the slightest hint of trouble.

Personally, I would go iMac too. I have a dell laptop, which was good spec when I bought it and I have had so much trouble with it. Maybe I was just expecting it to work out of the box.....I don't use that for recording, but compared to the G5, it has never given the slightest hint of trouble.

Major plus for me on the Mac is you don't need ant-virus software, and you can use your recording/mixing computer for personal use on the internet far more liberally.

Major plus for me on the Mac is you don't need ant-virus software, and you can use your recording/mixing computer for personal use on the internet far more liberally.

I still run something once a year to check mine for infections of any kind, but going on 4 years now, nothing has ever come up. And yeah, I use mine for recording and personal use. I even take it down to the bar when I DJ our Metal Monday. I need to get an iLugger, but the original box has held up very well, handle and all.

Anyway, let's not turn the studio thread into a Mac/PC debate though. Let's try to get back on track.

I managed to talk the GF into letting me take over the basement living room for a while to record my band's albums, and I finally finished building the room treatment. Here's some pics:

Back wall
IMG_1.jpg

I threw some plywood up in the adjacent hallway to break up some comb filtering.
IMG_2.jpg

Here's a shot of the diffusers on the other side wall
IMG_4.jpg

The front
IMG_5.jpg

IMG_6.jpg