Slate Digital TRIGGER Drum Replacer - Now Available

Steven, I think what Scott is saying is sometimes there is a hit in a blast that is louder than other hits and just loud enough that it triggers a hard hit instead of a medium hit for example, so you hear one out of place snare hit. The source file is at fault, not the plugin or samples, they are just doing the best with what they're given.

Scott for stuff like that I would just adjust the settings in Trigger until it triggers that part properly (usually just playing with the dynamics knob and maybe setting a different articulation) and punch that part in separately. We're all printing samples right? So just do a pass through the whole song printing 95% of the hits, then go back to the problem areas and adjust the settings until it triggers it right with the right samples and punch those parts in over top. I do this all the time to get my stuff sounding the way I want, sometimes you just have to adjust the settings depending on the part of the song.

Thanks adam, yep totally what I'm saying. If I had perfect drummers in all the time it probably wouldn't be an issue. I've played with the setting part by part. and it still throws the odd sample in....basically I work with live drummers 99% of the time. one of the reason I trigger drums is to make up for what the drummer may lack as far as constant blast etc.

one work around that seems to work is copying certain hits to replace the offending hit. (it's weird kinda like trigger assigns certain samples to each hit like it recognizes the wave form). but it's a pain and is like old school replacement the reason I bought trigger was to save me from doing that. this thing IS totally accurate I guess I just want it to be less dynamic lol (and I've played with the dynamics etc)

thanks for clarifying my frustration :headbang:

o-dog: You can easily combine all cracks hits with another samples medium and soft hits:

TRIGGER instance 1: RIMSHOTS, velocity all the way up, input all the way up
TRIGGER instance 2: SOFT mode, velocity at middle, input adjusted to get only medium hits (or soft by adjusting velocity and input).

Its easy to do.

As for bunk hits, i've never heard that said before about the SSDs but out of all the sample sets i'm sure you can find plenty of useable snares that DO NOT have any rare hits that could be heard in a blast beat.

But again, try using the articulations.. they work really well to tailor the sound. I'm still mixing the George Lynch Record and its a high intensity mix session.. I need sounds FAST. This record is very versatile in style, some aggressive, some laid back.. Its really helpful to instantly lay back the snare sound by going to soft mode, or to only use rimshots for the fast hard songs by going to rimshot mode. And the best part is because of the AMG algorithm, it all plays back NATURALLY without sounding like a machine gun. I realize some guys here WANT the machine GUN, and for that, just load two rimshot wavs and let it rip.

I'm using the updated instrument maker on some samples I made off of Adrian Ost's kit the other week, and I'm finding it to be a very powerful tool. I hope you all dig it.

edit: Scott, just read your post. Do me a favor and PM me a list of drums that seem to have certain hits that stick out, I'll look in to it. I've never heard the issue reported before, but I'm not sure how many of our users are doing the blast beats. If you get the wavs you can make some limited hit sets that might do the trick for you.

Steven

yeah but for me the whole point of trigger is to use one instance because of the multi instrument capability when i would normally use 3 drumagog instances. i just figured that trigger would be everything drumagog is and more. but now there are some things that i can do with drumagog that i can't do with trigger and vice versa.

o-dog: You can easily combine all cracks hits with another samples medium and soft hits:

TRIGGER instance 1: RIMSHOTS, velocity all the way up, input all the way up
TRIGGER instance 2: SOFT mode, velocity at middle, input adjusted to get only medium hits (or soft by adjusting velocity and input).

Its easy to do.

As for bunk hits, i've never heard that said before about the SSDs but out of all the sample sets i'm sure you can find plenty of useable snares that DO NOT have any rare hits that could be heard in a blast beat.

But again, try using the articulations.. they work really well to tailor the sound. I'm still mixing the George Lynch Record and its a high intensity mix session.. I need sounds FAST. This record is very versatile in style, some aggressive, some laid back.. Its really helpful to instantly lay back the snare sound by going to soft mode, or to only use rimshots for the fast hard songs by going to rimshot mode. And the best part is because of the AMG algorithm, it all plays back NATURALLY without sounding like a machine gun. I realize some guys here WANT the machine GUN, and for that, just load two rimshot wavs and let it rip.

I'm using the updated instrument maker on some samples I made off of Adrian Ost's kit the other week, and I'm finding it to be a very powerful tool. I hope you all dig it.

edit: Scott, just read your post. Do me a favor and PM me a list of drums that seem to have certain hits that stick out, I'll look in to it. I've never heard the issue reported before, but I'm not sure how many of our users are doing the blast beats. If you get the wavs you can make some limited hit sets that might do the trick for you.

Steven

thanks Steven will do....customer service A+ !

IM.png

triggererror.png

I don't know if I am doing something wrong or what. I create the single row since I only have 4 kick samples, 4 columns. No velocity parameters set. I make the instrument, save it. Open Cubase, add TRIGGER to a track, navigate to the place where I saved my instrument, double click it and it gives me that error. The path it is "expecting" is the path where the instrument is so I don't understand.

G5 PPC dual2.0, OSX 10.5.8, Cubase Studio 4.5.2

Steven, I think what Scott is saying is sometimes there is a hit in a blast that is louder than other hits and just loud enough that it triggers a hard hit instead of a medium hit for example, so you hear one out of place snare hit. The source file is at fault, not the plugin or samples, they are just doing the best with what they're given.

Thanks adam, yep totally what I'm saying. If I had perfect drummers in all the time it probably wouldn't be an issue. I've played with the setting part by part. and it still throws the odd sample in....basically I work with live drummers 99% of the time. one of the reason I trigger drums is to make up for what the drummer may lack as far as constant blast etc.
:

Ok great, now that I understand this, I can gladly say there is a solution right now within TRIGGER, and its something that Adam touched on.. The settings!

Regardless of how dynamic your original drum track is, you can set TRIGGER so that it ONLY puts out one velocity of samples.. so that odd hit will NOT trigger a softer or louder hit.. The adjustments need to be made in the INPUT, DYNAMICS, and VELOCITY knobs (and the articulations depending on what you want). Mess with it a bit and you'll probably figure it out. If you have trouble, email the track and we'll show you the proper settings.

TRIGGER is a very powerful tool, dive it and you'll realize that you can do a lot more then you think. :) I mixed a pop tune last week that needed some solid reinforcement and I was able to get 100% even rimshots, despite the snare track being very dynamic. Hell you can even have ghost notes trigger rimshots if you really want to, might have to use a limiter before TRIGGER but it can be done.

006, fill out a ticket and you'll get helped out.

Wow! I did not even thought about this. For me it's much more faster to make an automation for this track in my host. For instance, I have 5 such bad hits on my snare track. It'll take 50 seconds for me to automate volume on these hits before TRIGGER. But if I will take instrument and edit it, this will take 5-10 minutes. Try automation, maybe it'll be a solution for you :)

The path it is "expecting" is the path where the instrument is so I don't understand.

Hey,

Thanks for pointing out your configuration. I'll check this on PPC right now.

Also thanks for screenshot. I see that you did not choose the AMG preset, but you always need to choose the preset for your instrument. This means that I need to make some changes in manual :)

Slate and team.
Instrument maker is AWESOME.
so nice to hear my own samples working with AMG. clips coming your way now!
P.M or email preferred?

Slate and team.
Instrument maker is AWESOME.
so nice to hear my own samples working with AMG. clips coming your way now!
P.M or email preferred?

Thanks! You can always PM me, or email Steven.

Don't forget to choose AMG preset before save your instrument.

My mailbox doesn't work at the moment... Is there a link to dl it ?

It's freeware: http://www.slatedigital.com/trigger.php

Just go to Downloads tab and download Instrument Editor.

I see that you did not choose the AMG preset, but you always need to choose the preset for your instrument. This means that I need to make some changes in manual :)

Actually I did but for the screenshot I basically just redid the instrument quickly, forgot to change that. I also tried making two instruments, one with and one without the AMG preset, and neither of those work for me. Also, I asked another user to make an instrument for me with some samples of mine and the one created on his comp works fine for me. The same instrument, doing it the same exact way as he did, does not work when I make it over here.

I don't want to take up the thread with this issue sorry, we can continue in PM or through e-mail (I submitted a support ticket, e-mail is winterskiesprod).

IM.png

triggererror.png

I don't know if I am doing something wrong or what. I create the single row since I only have 4 kick samples, 4 columns. No velocity parameters set. I make the instrument, save it. Open Cubase, add TRIGGER to a track, navigate to the place where I saved my instrument, double click it and it gives me that error. The path it is "expecting" is the path where the instrument is so I don't understand.

getting the same error here.

same machine and OS (using PT HD though)

just did a quick test, it works very fine for me!
a very simple but powerful tool, WELL DONE GUYS!

there is only one thing i am missing.
i think some kind of "spread even" function which automatically adjusts
the velocities to fit the amunt of loaded samples would be nice.

cheers
S.

Ok so installed it...went to open it and got this
Picture%201.png

This could just be me being extremely tired from a big lack of sleep but i installed it...Moved it into my apps folder...Went to open it in pt and couldnt figure that out so i figured it was just a standalone program, clicked the icon in my apps and the pic above is the next thing i saw.