Slate Virtual Mix RACK

I haven't tried the very very last reaper build, I'm gonna update it tonight and see if it helps although it probably wouldn't change anything. The fact it was realeased before the latest VMR beta could maybe have solved something if some beta testers were on reaper

Damn, this thing sounds good so far. 20 minutes with it, and I'm very impressed. I'll play with the demo more before making the full purchase, but I'm really pleased with it overall. For the price, it seems very hard to beat, even if there are some features that are lacking. As far as the trim and whatnot, seems both comps have an output control along with the 'line' control on the FG-N.

Now to see if I still like it in a week....

On reaper at least the maximum window size of vst plugins is about 3 or 4 units maximum. Do you know how to make a pluging bigger, and not just the VST window bigger which doesn't change the fact the vst UI stays limited to something like 1080p wide ?

Separate module that you'll have to pay for? It's just stupid; I want the 1176 because all buttons in is a very specific and insanely cool sound; operating that distortion separate of the compression seems totally counterintuitive. Slate really needs a dedicated (or a better) UI/UX guy.

Fully agreed. I use all buttons in all the time on the real one, killer for vocals and bass.

I don't understand this decision, seems rushed.

I have a concern about the rack mentality : it shows as VMR in the mixview, and that is all. Will it be possible to load modules on their own like current aVCC, VTM etc ? What if I want to load a different plugin inside slate ones, do I need to load two instances of VMR so my 3rd party plugin inserts himself in the middle ? Etc etc. it would be best to have both options : using the rack, or individual modules like before.

I start to think if they actually spent a full year for like a single compressor and whatnot or if this is all fancy talk bigging it up. Because they never really go into specifics on how it was measured, captured, etc. It's just that fabrice is a genius and spent 5000 hours non stop coding irregularities of the hardware and stuff like that.

On reaper at least the maximum window size of vst plugins is about 3 or 4 units maximum. Do you know how to make a pluging bigger, and not just the VST window bigger which doesn't change the fact the vst UI stays limited to something like 1080p wide ?

The max is 8 modules.

Also is midi CC easy to handle between the instances inside VMR ? How is it recognised by the DAW ?

The A, [B, C...] button at the top of each module has automation information. Compressor ratio will be A-03 or something like that.

I just went to check on this and crashed REAPER. twice :(

I didn't like VBC at all, but these are so damn good! Playing around with demo on all sorts of tracks and it works brilliant. I think I'll buy it.

Really??? I think VBC is awesome. I own all of stevens plugins (including VMR), and i think VBC so far has been the most "magical". I dont have a ton of experience with actual hardware bus compressors, but VBC instantly sounded amazing to me with no effort at all. To each there own i guess. What is it you didnt like about it?

The only thing about VMR im not really understanding is that it's only a killer tool if you have good sounding tracks to start with because there really isnt a module yet for surgical cuts and "track repair". Are most of you "fixing" tracks first with a few inserts and then running VCC and VMR? I hope this question makes sense. For example i watched steven do a tutorial on getting a killer drum sound with VMR, i agree it sounded awesome, but the recorded tracks he started with were also very well recorded/ low bleed and didnt need really anything but enhancement.

Did a quick test with VMR during an editing session and it seemed really promising. Ran the same settings as one of my Waves SSL strips, and VMR destroyed it. The 1176 model also owns the CLA76 in accuracy. It's got way more of that mid-bass/low mid mud of the real thing. The compressors still don't seem to 'grab' like the real deal, but I definitely wasn't expecting them to. Compression is still the one great thing left to crack ITB. All the same, this plug-in seems to own the Waves and Duende stuff I normally use.

here's the 1073 eq

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sari0efno9j4z5d/REAL1073.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1aaj33jojah254z/VMR1073.wav?dl=0

i did 2db of Hi, 2db of 3.2, 2db of 60hz and 5db of line boost since the Neves only do 5db steps.

i gotta tell ya...with no eq engaged on either...and the drive set at 5db...it sounds exactly the same!! but with eq...there's quite the difference...i had to do like 1db on the hi of the real one...almos no 3.2 and 1 or less db on 60 to kind of match the sound of the vmr.

The 'Real SSL' one is much brighter in those clips, so I think you might've gone a little overboard trying to match it. But yes, I noticed the VMR SSL EQ seems to be very aggressive compared to the other emulations of it. Much brighter on the whole.

For the guys having VMR crash Reaper, have you tried it on the same hardware but in a different DAW?

I wonder if it's Reaper specific or if I need to update hardware...