Slate Virtual Mix RACK

no problems so far in reaper *knockonwood*....

soo this piece of shit constantly crashes reaper now... probably sell my licence soon! yeayeah i know, i should have demo it first, but anyway...

sound quality is great, but its worth nothing if it isnt stable!!! (no other problems with my reaper daw, rock solid until vmr got installed)

If it's not designed for the hardware of a current flagship macbook pro, I'm not updating hardware and I'm waiting for Slate to release an update :) There is definitely something going on with VMR that is fixable because all their other softwares are working totally fine with reaper.

EDIT : didn't understand the question. I can't test it on another daw, but i'm pretty sure it has to do with the plugin itself and reaper being incompatible sometimes; on my own systems it runs but crashes when I quit. It's quite bad because it's not reliable enough for me to be assured it won't crash before it saves, or something like that.

here's the 1073 eq

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sari0efno9j4z5d/REAL1073.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1aaj33jojah254z/VMR1073.wav?dl=0

i did 2db of Hi, 2db of 3.2, 2db of 60hz and 5db of line boost since the Neves only do 5db steps.

i gotta tell ya...with no eq engaged on either...and the drive set at 5db...it sounds exactly the same!! but with eq...there's quite the difference...i had to do like 1db on the hi of the real one...almos no 3.2 and 1 or less db on 60 to kind of match the sound of the vmr.

ok...here's the SSL eq.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104460154/REAL_SSL.wav
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104460154/VMR_SSL.wav

this one was harder....i did 4DB @ 12K, 5DB @ 5K, 1.5 @ I.5, AND 1.5DB @ 180HZ on the vmr...but when i tried those settings on the console it was faaaaar!! from being there..it sounded very dark. so i ended up with this on the console. 9db, 9db, 6db and 6db with the same frequencies...sort of...

hey, thanks for posting these...

The files should be better level matched however. On the VMR 73, you need a little over .5 dB to match. And the VMR SSL needs almost a dB less, about -.95.

The vmr 73 loses punch and focus to me. The vmr SSL actually doesn't seem clear, it lacks that mid rangey clarity. And it has come across dark to me.

It does appear though these vmr modules need more gain per band to match. Comparing for example Nebula at let's say 2dB would equate to may be 3 or 4 on the vmr, generally.

I have the 1176 shootout and my backstory about it in this post if anybody's interested. Overall I was super excited about vmr but felt a bit let down. I haven't decided 100% on it yet. I dig VBC though!

hey, thanks for posting these...

The files should be better level matched however. On the VMR 73, you need a little over .5 dB to match. And the VMR SSL needs almost a dB less, about -.95.

The vmr 73 loses punch and focus to me. The vmr SSL actually doesn't seem clear, it lacks that mid rangey clarity. And it has come across dark to me.

It does appear though these vmr modules need more gain per band to match. Comparing for example Nebula at let's say 2dB would equate to may be 3 or 4 on the vmr, generally.

I have the 1176 shootout and my backstory about it in this post if anybody's interested. Overall I was super excited about vmr but felt a bit let down. I haven't decided 100% on it yet. I dig VBC though!

Anywho...it was just a quick test...you can still hear the difference and really make your mind to see if you want to buy it or not.
Also...as we all know if i tried the same test with a different 1073 or a different 1176 or another channel on the console it will come out with a different result.

Ok everyone should be aware that this plug in will NOT work on AMD processors made before 2011. It has been stated by Frabrice that there is an asset missing in those processors that is used to render the GUI.

Hence, VMR is not working on my AMD Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition Processor. Crashes Reaper and will not open in Cubase 6.5.

This issue hasn't been discussed much and honestly should be posted on the main page for this plug in. I bought it without demoing because I'm such a huge fan of Slate but now im stuck with a license i can't use. I just decided it was time to update my rig because of this but still this isn't the way it should be handled.

Try opening the automation info. That's what crashed it for me.

Yes, it crashed for me too, but there is a workaround i think
If i open the automation info an close de plugin window it crashes, if i open the automation info, close the info window and THEN close the plugin, it works.

Considering in reaper crashes only ever occur from a buggy vst, I am not using it until they release a fix ! I don't have a major need for mixing as of now anyway

AMD processor fix being tested, probably have an update very very soon.

Regarding comparisons, (and thanks so much for taking the time to do this!) the SSL EQ pots are very finicky which is why you can put one pot at what looks like 4k on the console and it's actually 3.3k, and the channel next to it that same 4k could measure to be 4.3k. So we followed the EQ we modeled precisely, so matching the eq frequencies for a comparison doesn't work, nor do the gain pots. This is why if you look at the eq comparison posted with an analyzer, none of the gain or frequency matches... hence they will sound a bit different. Same goes for the Neve. We modeled the most gorgeous sounding one I've ever heard from NRG Recording, and in front of about 20 people, it nearly nulled out.

Reaper guys, please send us tickets, and I assure you we'll work on fixes.

Thanks for the discussion guys.. metal tutorial in the works.

Cheers,
Steven