Slip editing bass...

I'm gonna try it on the next project I do. I never really do slip editing. But lately I've been thinking it would be a good thing to try out.

Yes, it's not unusual practice.

To me it sounds bigger to edit so that the attack of the bass hits JUUUST behind the kick drum. This helps 'push' the rhythm section forward and makes it easier to hear the attack of both the kick and the bass guitar.

What do you guys think of slip editing compared to elastic audio/flex editing when editing bass? I've used flex editing in Logic to good effect, but I've never tried slip editing bass.

IF I do it at all I like EA for that.
but usually I don't....takes way too much time and I like music to be a bit more organic and not really like programmed.

see, if you're not gridding drums 100% it means some of the hits might be just before and some just after the grid-line.
if the task now is to edit the bass on the drums or even just after the drums you'd have to do every single hit by hand...thats WAY too much effort I think.

What I do is adjusting a single hit or two in break-sections or at the beginning of a part...but even that rarely.
if you quantize and autotune the bass you could as well program it.
it's music for fucks sake, lol.

I'm still curious though, Cory, you say you put the bass JUST after the drums...do you edit every note by hand?
the only automatic way I could think of would be to grid the drums AND bass 100% and then slide the bass back a tiny bit...but if you're not quantizing 100% you'd be fucked?

I don't know though, for my projects I usually have a pretty tight deadline, I rather spend the time tuning drums, finding the perfect guitarsound, finding the perfect Bassguitar, get the instruments well intonated etc than doing loads of editing.
not saying it's bad, but it DOES take loads of time and I prefer to spend that time to get the tones right in the first place. But then again I'm a fan of open andf natural sounding mixes, which perhaps are not always the tightest ones out there.

Lasse said:
the only automatic way I could think of would be to grid the drums AND bass 100% and then slide the bass back a tiny bit...

This, kind of. I never edit drums directly to the grid, it's always eyeballed close but never directly 100% exactly to the grid. For bass this is what I do though, just edit it the same way, eyeballed to the grid, then once it's all edited scoot it forward a few MS and there ya go. Sure it takes time, editing drums takes time too, and editing DIs... vocals... but it is worth it for the overall sound.

This, kind of. I never edit drums directly to the grid, it's always eyeballed close but never directly 100% exactly to the grid. For bass this is what I do though, just edit it the same way, eyeballed to the grid, then once it's all edited scoot it forward a few MS and there ya go. Sure it takes time, editing drums takes time too, and editing DIs... vocals... but it is worth it for the overall sound.

well, I edit Vox even more seldomly than Bass ;)

Guitar DIs for a quadtracked performace?? fuck me, no! :)

well, again, if something sounds off I'll of course edit it, but only if it really sounds off, I'm not ganna zoom in and edit everything "just because".
I still have trouble meeting the deadlines, editing everything (vocals, guitar DIs, bass) would take anothe 1-2weeks for an album...time I need for automation etc.

I like to have my mixes sound kind of robotic so I quantize guitars and stuff, but then again I have time to do that and I program drums so it make it a lot easier.

You dont need to edit all the bass notes if its fairly ok performance wise just edit it so that the bass is a little after the downbeat of the rythem section, the notes inbetween are not as important, its the downbeat that has the impact for me anyways.

Try it on a 8 bar loop or something so you can judge the effect for yourself. To me it sits better and makes the track sound bigger

Been doing this with both guitars and bass lately. Will report on how well I like it after the records are all wrapped. It is definitely time consuming, so I try to do it as we track, after every major take or so. Ensures you get it done, and also ensures you get paid for the time!

Been doing this with both guitars and bass lately. Will report on how well I like it after the records are all wrapped. It is definitely time consuming, so I try to do it as we track, after every major take or so. Ensures you get it done, and also ensures you get paid for the time!

This. I never ever ever edit on my own time after the fact. Always as we go.

Drum editing is way less tedious when you take an hour and a half break after each song to edit it while the band is still there, and guitar/bass aren't really "edited" like drums, just tracked in as small segments as necessary to end up with ridiculously tight tracks. Sometimes this means one note at a time that you have to string together, but usually you can do fairly substantial chunks if the player is decent, and then just slip around a handful of important notes that don't hit perfectly.

I usually edit the bass to the drums just because it sounds tighter and the bass drum sounds worlds better. I just hate it when the player does fast patterns and the thing becomes a simple thick line with no visible transient - same with when compressing before tracking.

I almost never edit while tracking, because my clients always complain when I do that. I just do the necessary editing to make the punches sound good and edit it later on my 'free' time - my wife hates me for that hehe

i try this recently whit no great results , i have the same problem trying to see the transients...:erk: i would love to know what you guys are doing to edit bass tracks that are just thick lines.