So I going to finally try

I already have mediocre blood circulation. The combination of smoking + poor diet has made my blood thicker than it should be, which is the sort of condition that over time leads to heart attack & stroke. Don't really feel like going down that road.

I have pretty high cholesterol too, but that's besides the point.

MadeInNewJersey said:
I already have mediocre blood circulation. The combination of smoking + poor diet has made my blood thicker than it should be, which is the sort of condition that over time leads to heart attack & stroke. Don't really feel like going down that road.

I have pretty high cholesterol too, but that's besides the point.

I'm with you man. Time to make some changes.

lurch70 said:
the biggest motivator is if a doctor tells you something to the effect of ... "quit or else ..."
i had problems with my stomach back then, and the smokes were irritating it also, at least I was told that ... of course that made me quit in a jiffy.

Yep.

My doctor has told me to lose weight and cut down on meat (cholestrol). I weigh 185lb but should be 170lb for my height and build. (I'm nearly 5ft 11").

Today I ate a really good salad, some white bean/ham spicy soup, and an apple. The place I work has a fantastic cafeteria (very health concious) so I'm going to take advantage.

I also use the stairs in the subways, not the escalators. Plus I walk to the train station and back so that's 2 miles a day. It's not hard cardio, but damn, it's a lot more than what I'm used to.

MadeInNewJersey said:
I'm quitting smoking. Just had the final cigarette in my pack, and I am determined to do it this time.
Good for you. Try to keep in mind, the physical addiction is broken in 72 hours. After that, it's getting past the mental aspects of the addiction. And as a peice of advice, try to avoid drinking. Most people tie the two together. I can't tell you how many people I know whose attempt to quit failed when they got drunk and went back to cigarettes. Besides, giving you liver a few weeks off wouldn't be the worst thing for your health.

Zod

By the way, try getting out of sales. I've never met a salesman that didn't smoke.

I know, I know, easier said than done. I can't argue with that.

General Zod said:
Good for you. Try to keep in mind, the physical addiction is broken in 72 hours. After that, it's getting past the mental aspects of the addiction. And as a peice of advice, try to avoid drinking. Most people tie the two together. I can't tell you how many people I know whose attempt to quit failed when they got drunk and went back to cigarettes. Besides, giving you liver a few weeks off wouldn't be the worst thing for your health.

Zod

I honestly think I've always been far more mentally addicted to smoking than physically. Most of the time I smoke is habitual (driving, after eating, after beating off, etc.).

The drinking thing is without a doubt going to be the toughest part...especially if I get a phone call from a certain metal lead singer this weekend. :cool:

JayKeeley said:
By the way, try getting out of sales. I've never met a salesman that didn't smoke.

I know, I know, easier said than done. I can't argue with that.

ha ha, well, Monster has about 750 full-time salespeople, and about 68 of them smoke, so I'm sure it can be done. :p

MadeInNewJersey said:
I honestly think I've always been far more mentally addicted to smoking than physically. Most of the time I smoke is habitual (driving, after eating, after beating off, etc.).

The drinking thing is without a doubt going to be the toughest part...especially if I get a phone call from a certain metal lead singer this weekend. :cool:

yes, definetelly the habit is the hardest to break ... you know ... out for lunch ... one before lunch, one during, one after ... one with the coffee ... all those little shits

but after some time you won't even notice.

Whenever I find myself immersed deeply in a sales call (on the phone, I mean), I tend to step outside & smoke while I'm on the phone. I don't even know why, but it's such a habit at this point!