So I Played "When" for my Class...

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
and suprisingly it went well. When that first metal riff came in it freaked some people out. Some people looked disgusted, some people smiled and others just seemed bored. As the song went on some people were realy interested. Afterwords a lot of people were interested to find out more about the story of "My Arms Your Hearse". My teacher took note of the band, I'm hoping she'll check them out. And one girl who had previously said she didn't like metal at all said this song realy impressed her. People also couldn't believe it was all one song. Anyways I was happy that a few people actualy liked them, and it was funny to see the faces of some of the people who didn't. Overall it went well.

Reactions: DemonOfTheFall
Wait, this was played in your music class, right?

Was this subject an elective, or was it copmulsory?

If it was an elective, you'd still expect that students would be at least a little more open to new types of music then your average teenie-bopper.

I did the same thing with my english class back in my final year, though it certainly didn't go down quite as well as how you've described.... :bah:

Christian or not, it's good music, plain and simple. I'm Christian, yet Opeth is my all time favorite band. The music is genious, the vocals are awesome. If a Christian band came out and played like that, I would listen to them as well. I don't hold biases.

Personally, I don't see how anyone could NOT like Opeth. Especially if one appreciates great music.

i have played Advent and Demon of the Fall in class, and it went over with largely favorable results (you know this, psychomantis). i also played some in flames which more people liked; i suppose because it's more upbeat and less dark.

Thats awesome. When is the Opeth song that I put on a metal mixture CD for one of my friends. In my opinion, When is probably the most brilliant overall indicator of Opeth's style...it has some of the heaviest, yet coolest riffs, and possibly the BEST acoustic Opeth section ever that flows into the best singing over distortion part and most epic ending.

When = not my favourite Opeth song, but nevertheless the PERFECT 'introduction to newbies' Opeth song. It simply contains the best parts of Opeth's sound.

crimsonfloyd said:
When that first metal riff came in it freaked some people out.

:lol: I would've liked to see that! Should have brought a camera along! But yeah, good work. I wish I had a class that allows me to play whatever I want :D

I'm yet to do something like that but would love too especially at my school. Though I convinced a relative to come to the Opeth concert in Sydney with me and he knew virtually nothing about them. Now he told me he hasn't stopped listening to them since the concert.