So what are the chances we get an announcement before 2/12?

In my opinion, AiC could easily go forward with him on vocals, and it would be a shame if they didn't record some new material.
I disagree. Bands don't typically put 12 years between releases and come out with a quality disc in the end. In all likelihood, new material will only serve to taint their legacy.

AiC would never reach the commercial heights of AC/DC, but I think they have their Brian Johnson in William Duvall.
I haven't heard Duvall sing, so I can't comment on the Scott/Johnson - Staley/Duvall analogy. However, Scott and Johnson were completely different singers. From what I've heard about Duvall, he isn't all that distinct from Staley.

If Staley, Duvall and crew want to put out new material so badly, and it isn’t about fattening their respective retirement funds, than why put the Alice in Chains tag on it?

Zod

Are you talking 'change your skivvies' or 'turtle head poking out' kinda poop?

Well, that all depends on how much you like the band. Some people may not give a shit, but there are definitely people who WILL shit about the band playing.

Here's a hint...band who has been around for over 10 years & who will be making their US debut performance at our fest. ;)

I disagree. Bands don't typically put 12 years between releases and come out with a quality disc in the end. In all likelihood, new material will only serve to taint their legacy.

Is this lingering bitterness over the decline of QR ;)

General Zod said:
I haven't heard Duvall sing, so I can't comment on the Scott/Johnson - Staley/Duvall analogy. However, Scott and Johnson were completely different singers. From what I've heard about Duvall, he isn't all that distinct from Staley.

He was close enough that he sounded faithful to the old standbys, but not so dead on that I'd call him a clone or say that you could close your eyes and not know it wasn't Layne.

General Zod said:
If Staley, Duvall and crew want to put out new material so badly, and it isn’t about fattening their respective retirement funds, than why put the Alice in Chains tag on it?

I don't care if they call themselves "Insert Band Name Here." Based on what I saw and heard while I was there, if they can put together strong material, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Well, that all depends on how much you like the band. Some people may not give a shit, but there are definitely people who WILL shit about the band playing.

Here's a hint...band who has been around for over 10 years & who will be making their US debut performance at our fest. ;)
Hmmmm, what genre of metal?

Britt

Jason, you can't just stick to shows that are within 30 minutes driving distance from your house. You need to get out a bit. Take a chance. These festival thingies are quite cool.

Zod

I totally agree. I wish I had more money and reliable transportation, I would love to go to the Heathen Crusade and Prog Power. But I am very lazy.
But I have always had fun at all the other fest I have gone to, from Milwaukee Metalfest, Alehorn of Power, and last years Powerfest.

The rumor is Opeth will be headlining. They'll be playing "Morningrise" from beginning to end, with Johan DeFarfalla on bass and Anders Nordin on drums. If I was you, I'd buy my plane tickets ASAP.

Zod

stronger rumor is that Jason (Jasonic) will be opening his wallet at the show to buy something....it is a rare sight....like a solar eclipse and Halleys Comet.

The rumor is Opeth will be headlining. They'll be playing "Morningrise" from beginning to end, with Johan DeFarfalla on bass and Anders Nordin on drums. If I was you, I'd buy my plane tickets ASAP.

They're also rumored to play with Primordial and Nevermore as part of a triple headliner set like HC last year, except over two nights we hear Dreaming Neon Black in it's entirety along with every song from Spirit the Earth Aflame and The Gathering Wilderness. Oh yeah, and Motley Crue and WASP come out to play the after party, rocking out until 6:00 am Sunday morning.

They're also rumored to play with Primordial and Nevermore as part of a triple headliner set like HC last year, except over two nights we hear Dreaming Neon Black in it's entirety along with every song from Spirit the Earth Aflame and The Gathering Wilderness. Oh yeah, and Motley Crue and WASP come out to play the after party, rocking out until 6:00 am Sunday morning.

you lost me at Motley Crue and WASP