So what do all of you think of Katatonia?

shivering corpse

Ty Cobbb
Sep 20, 2002
smileville
www.geocities.com
I've heard a lot about them, and knew that two of the members are in Bloodbath so I decided I'd purchase Last Fair Deal Gone Down, well I looked in both Virgin Megastore and Tower and they had Dance of December Souls, Brave Murder Day, Discouraged Ones, and Tonight's Decision, but no LFDGD.

I bought Tonight's Decision, it was the cheapest and had two bonus songs, so I got that one, plus the packaging is like Still Life (since it's Peaceville).
I gotta say I love this album. The melodies are just so moody and excellent. Cannot stop listening to In Death A Song, Strained, Black Session, and I Am Nothing.
I'm pretty impressed, so do most Opeth fans also enjoy them?

Katatonia rock. If you like Tonight's Decision, you'll be sure to like LFDGD.

Not only should most Opeth fans enjoy them, but Opeth themselves love the band.

I think I like Discouraged Ones the best. They're definately one of my favorite bands, and I'm slowly buying their whole catalog.

yes

I like Tonight's Decision a lot.

"For my Demons," "I am Nothing," "A Darkness Coming," "Had to (Leave)," and "Nightmares by the Sea" all own me.

LFDGD was a little dissapointing for me but it's still pretty good.

DO is in the mail. can't wait. esp. if it sounds like TD but 'darker'

and i'll get DoDS, BMD, and SoD.. sometime.

are any of the other EP's particularly good?

Originally posted by Hondo
I think I like Discouraged Ones the best. They're definately one of my favorite bands, and I'm slowly buying their whole catalog.

funny you should say this. I probably find DO is Katatonia's weakest album since BMD. There are a couple of nice melodies but overall, I've found it a little bland. Although I really like TD and LFDGD, I always find myself going back to BMD. The underlying discordance of this album just resonates for me, especially when I'm depressed. Its almost like pulling teeth, where it hurts but feels good at the same time...

"Tonight's Decision" is definatly my favorite album by them, followed closely by LFDGD.

DO is good, but it's too....too much of it sounds like the rest.

Tonights Decision is the best of Katatonia so far... LFDGD is great but doesnt seem to have the same feeling of Tonights Decision... And Tonight's artwork is some of the greatest of Travis... The new album has been recorded (i think)... Hopefully it will not dissapoint..

Originally posted by Cutter
funny you should say this. I probably find DO is Katatonia's weakest album since BMD. There are a couple of nice melodies but overall, I've found it a little bland. Although I really like TD and LFDGD, I always find myself going back to BMD. The underlying discordance of this album just resonates for me, especially when I'm depressed. Its almost like pulling teeth, where it hurts but feels good at the same time...

Yeah, DO was one of the ones I totally wrote off at first and never listened to, but somehow it became my favorite. It just has a nice feel to it for me. I did the same with BMD, now I love that too. It's got to be the bleakest sounding thing I've heard.

Sulphur on the Teargas EP totally blows me away, and I think Last Fair Deal Gone Down is the strongest of their albums.

Katatonia was a very hard band for me to get into. I got BMD first and I couldnt understand why everyone kept giving it and the band so much praise, because all I heard was monotonous riffs. However, after forcing myself to listen to the album several times it totally grew on me. The way they layer the riffs using the same basic line for 10 minutes and creating the kind of mood they do is amazing. It works just as well with their clean stuff as it did with BMD and they have become one of my favorite bands since.

One of my favourite bands ever, probably about #4 on my list.
BMD and Sounds Of Decay are both awesome, and of their current style I like Discouraged Ones the most, and really like the others too :D

Awesome band, the melodies those guys (Jonas and Anders mostly, though Fred in a few places on the last album, which was nice to see)come up with are amazing, and the touch they bring to the music....

Awesome :cool: :D

Oh, and can't wait for the new album, really interested to see what this 'new direction' Anders mentioned is gonna be like. It's all been mixed, now we just get to wait impatiently for the release........ ;)

Anyone who likes Katatonia, especially BMD, should check out October Tide. I believe its a side project for some of the Katatonia members. I could be wrong though. The music is quite dark, with an emphasis on doomy atmosphere and a lot of discordance and growl vocals. Top notch!

Anyone who likes Katatonia, especially BMD, should check out October Tide. I believe its a side project for some of the Katatonia members. I could be wrong though.

you are right.. it is Jonas and Fred´s side project.

I love Katatonia above all other bands...every single album they made are wonderful.
i believe i love katatonia in the same way some ppl here love opeth :)