some exclusive news for you all, folks!

opethpainter

the psychedelic servant
Jan 20, 2002
italy
jump.to
first of all i have to say thanx & sorry to fredrik odefjard, the man who filmed the recording sessions of blackwater park, and now of d&d. we all know that MFN has published the 2nd edition of bwp with the harvest video, and that scenes come from those recording session. i asked fredrik why just 6 minutes of stuff instead of much more, and i posted a thread some months ago, to which almost no-one answered.

i say thanx because fredrik mailed me yesterday, asking me to put here the content of the e-mail, and giving me [and now to all of you readers] some good news. i say sorry for the previous thread, but be sure i had no bad intentions when i posted it here, just wanted to say i was angry with MFN for those 6 minutes of video.

ok, now follows the great matter. please read carefully:

Hi Eugy.

My prevoius e-mail I sent to you was a personal letter and NOT a public one, I was really upset, and I hope you´ll understand it!
This one I hope you´ll put on the thread, put please, don´t cut it into piecies like you did before.

Now I have recorded "Deliverance" and "Damnation" session on DV.
I must say all of it.
Have never seen Opeth under so much pressure. Blackwater Park was a walk in the park.
As usual Mike had some heavy shit on hís shoulders.
There were a lot of experimenting stuff going on in the studio (harmonies and lead), with Steven, of course. He´s a genius and a gentlemen. I`ve never seen or heard anything like it. Magician.
Read some stuff on the Forum from time to time. Question of the new material. Has it changed? Is it still Opeth?
I´d have to say: -Yes!
But they have developed further, new level, in a direction I can´t describe or predict.
Relax and have even more patience, it`s not going to be like you thought it would be (if you know what I mean).

The songs on "Deliverance" is very strong compared to the previous one that Opeth ever made (fav. still, My Arms). Heavy rifs (is it double f?) with mellow parts.
Something´s new, but I can´t really tell what it is...
The mellow riffs is really strange this time. I mean circus.
Time pressure did it impossible to work at daytime.
For example, Mendez recorded his stuff over a weekend. 2 hours of material he hadn´t heard before, and he pulled it off, before Steven came. Four fucking days and nights. Amazing!
We didn´t sleep that weekend.

Don´t think Opeth will make a double CD agin and I hope I never experience it again.

I must say that you have something extraordinary to look forward to. I mean "Damnation" maybe the next "abby road", or "Led Zeppelin"(1-4)
If you wonder what Mikes voice sounds like:
It´s like; on the heavy album it´s so distorted that I can´t believe his actually doing that in a mic. You Death freaks have something to look forward to.

Mellow parts: I had to take a peak from my viewfinder and see if it was really Mike standing there singing. My God! And I have it on tape!
Everything that they recorded is probably on my camcorder (haven´t been through it yet), so I really hope there´s a demand for the footage of Opeth making D-1 & D-2. Don´t let it happen again like the Blackwater Park documentary ,which by the way is brilliand, but unfortunately in swedish, and we dont like subttitle....no....
Regards,

Fredrik Odefjärd

Shit, I hope they release this footage og-n dvd!

Opethpainter,

Thanks man!
Awesome post!!!! Which is sure to be one of the most talked about on here!
Now there is an excellent letter...
He told us a lot while still not revealing anything....

I'm totally excited about this release!!!

One question, Is this a concept album? It sounds like it's going to be since he compared it to (Still Life and MAYH).

Should be awesome!

I wonder if the guys (Opeth) knew how much work they'd be in for when they decided to pull off two full albums in a single session.......? While I'm still greatful to be recieving a double-dose of my favourite band sometime in the near future... It's pretty obvious that Mikael and the crew don't do what they do for the fans (As he's stated himself on occasion).

Maybe they'll shake it off with a few days (though I'm sure weeks would be nicer :D ) of R'n'R .....

Don't mind me, just thinkin' out loud again..... :oops:

Anywho, Thanks for the heads-up Fredrik and Opethpainter!! :)

Thanks for the news via Fredrik who was there.

Yes, I sure hope that MFN takes advantage (this time...) of having the creation actually filmed. I think it was a big mistake they didn't release the BWP even if it's in Swedish who cares, music is a universal language. It would just be part of the character of a BWP film....I mean it's OPETH and they're SWEDISH, what else would you expect than them being themselves.. that's what I wanted to see actually.. that and the actual recording of the songs! Anyway, I think there WAS a demand for the BWP film,but the demand wasn't answered. Yet.

Well... did they speak English this time?? Otherwise what would be any different as far as releasing it this time? That sounds like even more pressure on the guys to try to remember to speak english while they're already going nuts under pressure.

It would fucking RULE to see the creations of now TWO more cds. It would also be good for us non-knowers to see what it's like and how much fucking work goes into making a cd. Mikael said this one almost killed him, so maybe that part would be hard to watch in a way, but still.. the blood and sweat that made the cds.. WOW, I couldn't WAIT to see that!!! What an experience I'm sure!!!

Well I truly enjoyed Fredrik's insight on the process and his comments about the new music. Even more anxious now, as with Lora's comments ... the new one sounds like it's gonna be outta this world.
:eek:

what's with the time pressure? is studiotime so fucking expensive that the guys record two full-lenght albums in one weekend? crazy shit!

i don't think opeth have recorded 2 albums in a weekend. fredrik talks about the drums part. i think that anyway 2 albums are a lot of stuff [and 2 opeth albums are not common stuff] which had to be recorded in a not-so-long period. so it was not simple to record everything, because of time pressure. and yes, recording studios suck a lot of money!!!

i also think it's a question of state of mind: opeth had to record 2 completely different albums, and when you're a musician you've got to be in the right state of mind to play a song except for another one. i can understand what fredrik says.

The comment at the end of that letter said a lot. I think it's a shame that the powers that be at MFN don't think that Opeth fans are intelligent enough to be able to read subtitles...

Swedish people speaking their own language!!!?? Heaven forbid... :rolleyes:

I've never heard of the BWP documentary. Anyone know where I can get it?

You can't get it, they WERE going to release a full DVD with footage of that and live footage, but that didn't happen unfortunately :(
I would really like to see this footage released, I think it would make many of the fans VERY happy, and hopefully MFN relizes this unlike they did with the BWP footage...

Definately. It would be an amazing DVD.

I wonder if he applied his Bbloodbath technique at all on Deliverance. Some of the stuff is just layered, but he gets some really evil sounds out on the samples I've heard.