Some prog/power albums I've been spinning as of late...

If you like Battleroar THAT much, i suggest you check OMEN (if you havent already), one of their greatest influences..comparisons would be silly of course, OMEN were one of the best 80s epic heavy metal bands.

IOfTheStorm said:
If you like Battleroar THAT much, i suggest you check OMEN (if you havent already), one of their greatest influences..comparisons would be silly of course, OMEN were one of the best 80s epic heavy metal bands.

Yes! I have checked out Warning of Danger and The Curse already. Both are incredible. Any of the others you would recommend?

Also, I am EXTREMELY surprised that you aren't fond of Battleroar, at least. They give me the same feelings that Doomsword give me.

Yea well i think that Battleroar really try to produce this feeling, but they dont succeed, its obvious that they try, but in the end, they transcend nothing to me. They dont have "it" like Doomsword, which are kings.
About Battleroar influences: Well, apart from the obvious (Iron Maiden, Manilla Road, Omen, Manowar) you might want to check the swedish HEAVY LOAD, pretty emotional heavy metal with lots of epic moments, and one of the most authentic sounds ever. "Stronger Than Evil" and "Death Or Glory" are their best 2 albums, but their best song imo is on their (hard to find) ep "Metal Conquest" and its called "Heathens From The North" (what a name)
Also you have to get OMEN'S debut - "Battle Cry" its on the same lever as the other two - more primitive and raw perhaps.

IOfTheStorm said:
Yea well i think that Battleroar really try to produce this feeling, but they dont succeed, its obvious that they try, but in the end, they transcend nothing to me. They dont have "it" like Doomsword, which are kings.
About Battleroar influences: Well, apart from the obvious (Iron Maiden, Manilla Road, Omen, Manowar) you might want to check the swedish HEAVY LOAD, pretty emotional heavy metal with lots of epic moments, and one of the most authentic sounds ever. "Stronger Than Evil" and "Death Or Glory" are their best 2 albums, but their best song imo is on their (hard to find) ep "Metal Conquest" and its called "Heathens From The North" (what a name)
Also you have to get OMEN'S debut - "Battle Cry" its on the same lever as the other two - more primitive and raw perhaps.

Thanks. I'm gonna try to hunt them 3 down. Never heard of Heavy Load, sounds awesome!

IOfTheStorm said:
It might suprise you Doomcifer, but i think that both Battleroar and Elwing are mediocre. On the other hand i totally praise Adramelch and Dark Quarterer. Both were incredibly unique and special (especially for their time).

I can't get passed the vocals on Dark Quarterer. I mean, there has to be a line drawn somewhere....and phonetically singing English lyrics with a thick Sicillian accent is it.

J. said:
JayK, in case you didn't know, the latest Terrorizer has a power metal special featuring Helloween, Gamma Ray and European pwer metal, as well as the top 20 power metal albums.

Just thought you might be interested.

Yeah, I flick through Terrorizer at the local B&N, but I never buy it anymore. I did see those features....they did a top 10 US power metal list of all time (note that US power metal is vastly different to Euro power metal).

Here's what I remember....

1 - Sanctuary - Into the Mirror Black
5 - Slough Feg - Twilight of the Idols
6 - Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World

And a bunch of others...but I thought it was interesting to see Sanctuary at #1.

Into the Mirror Black rules. Shame they went on to become Nevermore. :loco: (Just kidding Zod, you vunt).

Grand Magus - Wolf's Return
Good, but not as good as their previous. I think the vocals could be stretched a little more, and they sound a little relaxed on this record. The interludes don't add anything because they don't fit the songs, which themselves are pretty generic. It's not a bad album per se, but I can't ever see myself reaching for this before "Monument".

6.5/10

JayKeeley said:
I can't get passed the vocals on Dark Quarterer. I mean, there has to be a line drawn somewhere....and phonetically singing English lyrics with a thick Sicillian accent is it.

The Vocalist sounds similiar to the vocalist in Pagan's Mind. Another band which is as stimulating as 3 feet of horse penis.:headbang:

General Zod said:
Gamma Ray - Majestic - Kai needs to get someone else to sing. There's some classic Power Metal music on this, but the vocals suck. His voice is only slightly less annoying than James LaBrie's.

Have you always disliked Kai Hansen? Or just on this album, because he just sounds like his usual self. Lots of low octave/high octave double tracks.

Shame though because you're obviously missing out on "Land of the Free", quite possibly one of the best albums to come out of the 90's.

But yeah, if you don't like the vocalist in a band, it's make or break. That's why death growls/grunts/screams are somewhat of a cop out.

JayKeeley said:
Have you always disliked Kai Hansen? Or just on this album, because he just sounds like his usual self. Lots of low octave/high octave double tracks.
The only other Gamma Ray CD I've heard is "New World Order". I liked it enough to buy it, but can't say I've listened to it since their PP appearance. Regardless, the vocals didn't bother me. However, they seem to be annoying me now.

JayKeeley said:
Shame though because you're obviously missing out on "Land of the Free", quite possibly one of the best albums to come out of the 90's.
I'll see if I can track down some MP3s to listen to.

JayKeeley said:
But yeah, if you don't like the vocalist in a band, it's make or break. That's why death growls/grunts/screams are somewhat of a cop out.
Agreed.

Zod

IOfTheStorm said:
YES YES SOMEONE FINALLY AGREES WITH ME ABOUT "WOLF'S RETURN" COWABANGA

dude, I've been saying Wolf's Return is a letdown since I got it. I still claim that their debut is their best. Great collection of songs.

1lb of Naked Nutrition said:
The Vocalist sounds similiar to the vocalist in Pagan's Mind. Another band which is as stimulating as 3 feet of horse penis.:headbang:
Huh? Pagan's Mind is a superb band. Very strong vocals, unique style (relatively speaking) and an excellent guitar player. Additionally, they're an excellent live band.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
No comment on the vocals from the Adramelch singer? In a word, horrible.

Zod