Some prog/power albums I've been spinning as of late...

General Zod said:
Huh? Pagan's Mind is a superb band. Very strong vocals, unique style (relatively speaking) and an excellent guitar player. Additionally, they're an excellent live band.

Zod

Zod - When I said it's as stimulating as 3 feet of horse penis. It was a compliment. :devil: OOOOOOOOOOSIIIIIIIIIRUS! :headbang:

IOfTheStorm said:
Yea well i think that Battleroar really try to produce this feeling, but they dont succeed, its obvious that they try, but in the end, they transcend nothing to me. They dont have "it" like Doomsword, which are kings.

Hey you know, Battleroar 'aint that bad....there are some neat hooks and riffs on this.

95976.JPG

Listening to it now. Songs are SOOOO fucking old school, haha "Vampire Killer":

Run, run for your life
Flee from the black pits of hell
Fight, fires alight
Warlocks are casting deadly spells
Strange is the land where spirits dwell

:kickass:

About Battleroar influences: Well, apart from the obvious (Iron Maiden, Manilla Road, Omen, Manowar) you might want to check the swedish HEAVY LOAD

OMG, I'm about to look for some samples from a band called "Heavy Load", what the fuck...oh well, they formed in 1978 so I can forgive. :p

I havent heard the new album yet, i was talking about their debut. You are probably right anyway since everyone says the new album is a lot better. Btw the lyrics you posted are influenced by Castlevania (kvlt as hell).

IOfTheStorm said:
You want to hear a SERIOUS POWER METAL ALBUM that is a real MASTERPIECE?

image009.jpg

The most criminaly unknown band of our times
I own this CD. Bought it off Chris Letesto shortly after its release. There are some real nice moments on it. However, I always felt that Russ' vocals are uneven, and that the melodies need work. I'd also say that the band is as much Prog as they are Power.

Zod

From librariusmetallicus:

Ion Vein play complex American power metal that borders on progressive metal. The debut was good, but a little lacking in variety. The recently released sophomore effort shows marked improvement both in the music and in the production. I'll honestly be surprised if "Reigning Memories" doesn't garner them a contract with one of the bigger metal labels. While not sounding like any band in particular, fans of Iced Earth, Nevermore, or Fates Warning should enjoy Ion Vein.

Somewhere, General Zod is creaming his underwear.

EDIT: Haha, Zod beat me to it with his critique. :loco:

As i said before in another thread i seriously think "Reigning Memories" is the best power metal album since "Into The Mirror Black" As "Into The Mirror Black" it needs time to be fully understood. The songs are perfect in all aspects: their structures are unique and modern (in a good way) their RIFFS are so AMAZING that you question yourself where Lotesto got so much inspiration to write them, and Russ' voice is, in my opinion, outstanding and emotional.
Im suprised that the librarian guy doesnt mention Ion Vein's biggest influence: Queensryche. There arent any Iced Earth/Nevermore in the album, Fates Warning of No Exit-Perfect Symmetry declare to be present, also Lethal and maybe Heir Apparent.
JayKeelay just buy it. I mean fucking BUY IT. Blind buy this one or.. i dont know. Ion Vein seriously deserve A LOT MORE that they gain.

JayKeeley said:
Gamma Ray - Majestic
Consistently good band, although they'll never reach their peak of "Land of the Free" (which is a 9.5/10 in my book). I was blown away by this album on first try, and it's still going strong. Very good release, better overall than NWO (which itself contains a few all time Ramma Gay classics), much better than Powerplant, and at least as good as Somewhere out in Space (I wish they'd do a few more songs like "The Winged Horse" once in a while, come on Henjo!).

8.5/10

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys: The Legacy
I just can't get into Andi Deris. He sounds like a fat man on the mic. Some songs are good, others are just bland. Is "Occasion Avenue" supposed to be a spoof on "Acacia Avenue"? Either way, this aint doing nuttin' for me. The fact that "Keeper of the Seven Keys part 2" has kept this band in the limelight is only a testament to that particular masterpiece. Everything since has fallen short, including this lame duck.

5.5/10
I gave Gamma Ray the same 8.5/10, I thought it was very good, but we have different opinions of their prior catalog! :lol: (I love Powerplant)

As for Helloween, I just finished listening to it several times; it's not as terrible as you think (IMO), and it's not great, either. There are at least 4 great tracks that helped the score out. Several total craptastic fests as well. I gave it a 7.5/10, saved, again, by tracks #1, #2, #6, #7, and #13.

Actually, I like Powerplant too (so I don't know why I wrote "much better") but since starting this thread, I'd say the new Gamma Ray is better than NWO, and about on par with Powerplant and Somewhere Out in Space.

Of course, not even close to "Land of the Free"....

JayKeeley said:
Actually, I like Powerplant too (so I don't know why I wrote "much better") but since starting this thread, I'd say the new Gamma Ray is better than NWO, and about on par with Powerplant and Somewhere Out in Space.

Of course, not even close to "Land of the Free"....

That's better :)

I love being 3 months behind on threads. :tickled:

I really like some of the new Helloween myself. "Pleasure Drone", and "Silent Rain" in particular are ones I cant seem to get out of my head lately.

IOfTheStorm said:
As i said before in another thread i seriously think "Reigning Memories" is the best power metal album since "Into The Mirror Black".
Wow. A big statement. I disagree with it, but what else is new? You and I always seem to be a page or two off. That's cool.

IOfTheStorm said:
As "Into The Mirror Black" it needs time to be fully understood.
Completely disagree. I hear very little in the way of uniqueness or complexity that would necessitate the passage of time.

IOfTheStorm said:
Im suprised that the librarian guy doesnt mention Ion Vein's biggest influence: Queensryche. There arent any Iced Earth/Nevermore in the album.
Completely agree with all of this.

JK: if you're interested in checking this out, I can hook you up. Knowing your tastes as I do, I will respectfully disagree with IotS, as I don't think this constitutes a "blind buy".

Zod

General Zod said:
Completely disagree. I hear very little in the way of uniqueness or complexity that would necessitate the passage of time.
Its totally unique..i mean just show me another band that plays like them. They have 100% their own sound, they sound like noone and noone sounds like them. Thats just a fact.
As for "complexity" well.. if the title track, "The Future Is Now" or "Adrian's Ladder" trilogy arent complex in all aspects (structures,riffs, song development) then i dont know what is complex... When i first listened to the album i said "ok nice" then i went "wow this is very good" then "this rules" and then as all the songs were revealing their secrets and my reactions were beyond "amazed". I couldnt believe what the guys wrote. Btw i know lots of others who appreciated the album in similar way i did. As a guy in metal-archives says : "First things first: Reigning Memories is not a disc that will grab you right away with how powerful and genius it is. It takes repeated, careful listens for it to capture you with its many charms. Just rest assured; if you have an ear for intelligent metal with just a dash of prog in it, you will certainly end up with a huge place in your heart for this disc, as it combines a fantastic vocalist (who easily matches up to Geoff Tate in all the right areas) with some catchy yet deep songwriting, so even though this is not an album you will instantly love, it is one you will be going back to time after time as you dig deep to find the gold buried beneath the surface."
[/QUOTE]

IOfTheStorm said:
Its totally unique..i mean just show me another band that plays like them. They have 100% their own sound, they sound like noone and noone sounds like them.
I think there are two ways in which a band can sound unoriginal:

1. they sound like someone specific
2. they sound like everyone

I feel IV falls into group #2.

IOfTheStorm said:
Thats just a fact.
I appreciate your passion, but passion doesn't equate to fact.

IOfTheStorm said:
...it combines a fantastic vocalist (who easily matches up to Geoff Tate in all the right areas)
Please don't compare Russ to Tate. He's not even close.

IOfTheStorm said:
...with some catchy yet deep songwriting, so even though this is not an album you will instantly love, it is one you will be going back to time after time as you dig deep to find the gold buried beneath the surface."
I only spun this disc 3 or 4 times. As I said, it didn't strike me as a CD that needed additional listens to be appreciated. None the less, your passion for this CD has piqued my interest. I'll revisit it this weekend.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
Hey you know, Battleroar 'aint that bad....there are some neat hooks and riffs on this.

95976.JPG

Listening to it now. Songs are SOOOO fucking old school, haha "Vampire Killer":

Run, run for your life
Flee from the black pits of hell
Fight, fires alight
Warlocks are casting deadly spells
Strange is the land where spirits dwell

:kickass:

OMG, I'm about to look for some samples from a band called "Heavy Load", what the fuck...oh well, they formed in 1978 so I can forgive. :p

I've now listened to this a few times through too. Let's put it this way: PERFECT example of why downloading albums is cool. Just saved $14 :p