Song for mixing practice - hard rock

Haha. Sorry! I started working on it, but got tied up with a lot of things. I'm using it as an experimental test ground for different things for my own projects, still to come. ;) Also, I'm being too nit-picky about some of the sounds I think. I always end up obsessing over sounds. :) But, haven't forgotten about it!

Hey Guys, I know it's been a while the tracks were uploaded here to mix, just found them yesterday... I really kinda liked the song.. reminds me a lot of Judas Priest (my alltime faves)... and my former band... whatever... here's my try... hope you like it!

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/23729559/promises_mix_Mitch_mv1_09-08-2010.mp3

Thanks for sharing guys...nice work! Glad you like the song.

Fuckin' great song! Especially vox kicks ass!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4703635/JohnyLokkeBand - Promises and Lies (Widek Mix).mp3

It's my first try, I think I'll take the vocals and solo 1 db louder...

Anyway, snare is awesome too! I know it's steven slate (i've got 3.5ex), but what exactly snare you used here ? :)

Thanks man, and nice work on the mix. I'm not in the studio at the moment so I'm not sure of the snare. It's a combo of a couple of different ones plus a sample of mine. I'll check when I get back in and let you know though.

Yeah I'm quite interested in knowing how your pre-processed the drums. I just threw the takes on a blank session, and even before mixing it, it already sounds actually good. This is very well recorded. Who did ?

Yeah I'm quite interested in knowing how your pre-processed the drums. I just threw the takes on a blank session, and even before mixing it, it already sounds actually good. This is very well recorded. Who did ?

Thanks LeSedna. I use a custom kit I made from the slate 3.5 package mixed with other samples. Guitars and bass are POD X3. Me did everything but leads and those are done by Carlos Arcay.

For some reason the drums didn't export correctly coming from midi, so some of the fills are off, just as an FYI to people listening to mixes and thinking I was drunk during programming (which I was, but it really wasn't me this time).

Nice work. You went all Geezer Butler on my ass and threw my bass right up front there!:headbang:

Aha, just came back from the beach, and just discovered the bass is so high yep, actually I didn't want it that much. Wanted it present but this is so much it would make your ass vibrate on a big PA :lol:

BTW it's just mixed for the moment. No pseudo-premastering

Hello everyone,

I pretty much like the song and gave it a try too. So this is goin to be my first public mix :)

I felt that this song has the special 80's vibe to it even if the guitars are detuned and the kick is quite clicky. So I mixed it not just oldschool but retro style like late 80s Speed/"Proto-Power"-Metal Bands would have done it...

Heres my try: *click*

Unfortunately I still dont have any monitors so this is only a headphone mix. But I think you get what my Idea was.

cheers
Alex