Song Survivor - Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick round 1

Vote for the 3 weakest tracks on Blessed are the Sick

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Did some other death metal band at the time write a track like the title track? With the slow riff under a fast double bass pattern like that one? Because I'm sure as well there were countless bands doing that AFTER Blessed but not sure before it.

I can’t really think of anything that sounds like the title track from the time period.

Gonna give this a good listen on my commute to work tomorrow and then cast my votes.

People saying Blessed brought nothing new to the table is doing a terrible revisionist job. From A to D, Blessed is my least favorite, but to deny its influence is just nuts.

Did some other death metal band at the time write a track like the title track? With the slow riff under a fast double bass pattern like that one? Because I'm sure as well there were countless bands doing that AFTER Blessed but not sure before it.

Not a full song like the title track, but there are a lot of passages on Revenant's Prophecies of a Dying World that do similar.

Feels disconnected, in a bad way. I guess it's largely the poor drumming, he doesn't play to the riffs at all, like there's some cool twisty riffage but often he just blasts over it
That’s my favourite part of the song. The tight hi hat blast beat over that riff is fucking immense and makes it much more interesting than it would be if he played some beat that followed the riff. Nothing poor about the drumming whatsoever.

the production is among Burns' very worst.
robbed of any impact because Scott Burns is a hack.
Scott Burns actually had nothing to do with the album, it was produced by the band and recorded mixed by Tom Morris. It also sounds nothing like a typical Burns production.

Reactions: CiG
It's probably technically fine or whatever, he does all sorts of stuff on it, it's a busy song, but there's not an ounce of groove to be found. It's more soulless than most modern tech-death that gets the same criticism.
I think that's what they were going for, though. The song isn't supposed to be groovy, it was always meant to crush everything in its path. When the blast beat kicks in, it's almost as if it represents Satan plummeting from Heaven all the way down to the Underworld at an incredible free-fall pace.

Mostly I just don't like the style. It comes off as a collage of assorted riffs he demoed in his bedroom, each with its own unrelated drum machine track. The barely-present bass and how all the random twists and turns ultimately conform to a relatively ordinary verse/chorus structure only emphasize its slipshod nature further. But Morbid Angel in general struggles with restraint.

Definitely agree that a lot of these issues with the song stem from the production. Not only is there very little bass, but there's hardly any treble either. It's hard to make out Sandoval's cymbal work at times.

This is what happens when guitarists mix albums.

Reactions: CiG
The brickwalled mess that is the new Metal Church album sounds 100x better than Blessed