Song Survivor - Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick round 1

Vote for the 3 weakest tracks on Blessed are the Sick

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m completely sympathetic to those who find the production off-putting. I did the first few times I heard the album, although not quite to the same extent of some of you. I’ve heard it so many times at this point that it sounds perfectly fine to me now.

Reactions: jimmy101 and CiG
This was really fucking hard actually. A top 5 death metal album for me. Outside of the 3 I’ve already said are my favourites, the rest are of a similar (high) quality to me. And they all have at least one passage I love. Anyway voted for “Day of Suffering”, “Unholy Blasphemies” and “Thy Kingdom Come”. Could have gone with “Brainstorm” for the latter.

Next round is going to be even tougher because it looks like two of my favourites are going out. Shame on you all who voted for the title track!

I think “Day of Suffering” is the least developed and fleshed out song here and I’m surprised it only has 3 votes! Perhaps I have an bias against it after hearing Phil Anselmo sing it on a YouTube clip of Morbid Angel live.

Last edited:
agreed on 'day of suffering', it's still cool but i expected it to go this round for sure. i don't really get the appeal of the title track (it's pretty immolation-y i guess, i think you like that style more than i do) but i'm similarly butthurt about 'the ancient ones' getting shafted, i always thought that was one of the most beloved tunes on here and rightfully so. none of the three tracks that are winning right now are in my top 3 actually, although the first solo on 'rebel lands' might be my favourite passage on the album.

Reactions: Phylactery
tbf Immolation wasn't really writing songs like that on Dawn of Possession, at least iirc (should relisten to verify).

Reactions: Phylactery
Not to mention Blessed are the Sick came out before Dawn of Possession.
so what? They're less than a month apart. You think that somehow one song from Blessed influenced Immolation to also write a song with "slow riffs under fast double bass patterns"? And also, news flash ... two of the songs on Dawn of Possession(the title track and Immolation) and that style basically originated on Immolations demo tape from 1988, so yeah... if anything Immolation was most likely a huge influence on the sound of Blessed.

To be fair a few songs from Blessed were originally featured on MA's demos from 1986/1987.

First death metal album I bought and listened to in full. My bias is probably talking here but I never had a problem with the production, or even noticed that it was "off" compared to other albums. Morbid Angel's magnum opus as far as I'm concerned.

Anyways, obviously a ridiculously tough call but I'm going to oust "Brainstorm", "Thy Kingdom Come", and "Unholy Blasphemies".

Sssshhhh ..... dont spoil the fun, i dont think @Allfader has heard of that band before :lol:
Morbid Angel is older and was already more or less known in the underground before even Altars was released. Morbid Angel was far more influential as a band, even before Dawn of Possession - because you know, Altars was a truly groundbreaking album, not to mention the material they were already performing live.

If people want to compare Immolation and Morbid Angel, do it with their respective debut albums. I don't think there was a band playing such "modern" death metal as Morbid Angel in the 80's.

Morbid Angel is older and was already more or less known in the underground before even Altars was released. Morbid Angel was far more influential as a band, even before Dawn of Possession - because you know, Altars was a truly groundbreaking album, not to mention the material they were already performing live.
again thanks for pointing out the obvious? Did i say Immolation were more influential or older than Morbid Angel(why btw are one of my all time favorite bands)? Try to stay on point with what were actually talking about here man. Btw yes Altars is not only more influential than anything Immolation did, but its one of the most influential metal albums of all time.

again thanks for pointing out the obvious? Did i say Immolation were more influential or older than Morbid Angel(why btw are one of my all time favorite bands)? Try to stay on point with what were actually talking about here man. Btw yes Altars is not only more influential than anything Immolation did, but its one of the most influential metal albums of all time.
My point was to not compare Blessed with Dawn. Calm down.

I guess people already did one on Covenant or Altars, right? if not, those will be interesting.