Songs that showcase Opeths talent

ashes_against_the_grain said:
Hehe! Well, the first Opeth album i have ever heard was Blackwater Park, so that's why i always recommend it to whoever asks me about Opeth...To me, The Drapery Falls is STILL the best Opeth song! :kickass:
That was the first Opeth album I heard too. Still I wouldn't call The Drapery Falls the best Opeth song, or in the top 5

ashes_against_the_grain said:
Hehe! Well, the first Opeth album i have ever heard was Blackwater Park, so that's why i always recommend it to whoever asks me about Opeth...To me, The Drapery Falls is STILL the best Opeth song! :kickass:
:worship: :headbang: :headbang: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :headbang: :headbang: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :headbang: :worship:

Beneath the Mire. Incorporates everyone in the band equally and Pers part is wonderful.

The Drapery Falls as well. The song has converted a lot people for good reason.

IamReptar said:
Beneath the Mire. Incorporates everyone in the band equally and Pers part is wonderful.

The thing that attracted me to Opeth, and what I always saw as their 'talent' was the complex riffs that all worked and flowed into eachother to create this beautiful brutality - (this is obviously because Still Life introduced me to Opeth) - then I hear a track like Beneath The Mire which imo has Opeth's most simplest riffing, chuggety chug style, and I can't understand how people can rate this song at all, let alone claim it showcases their talent perfectly.

Yes. Some people call their older works 'underproduced,' but I'd say that the simple mixing brings out the best in the band. It's much more brutal, more ethereal in the accoustic guitar bits and it doesn't sound very...electric (I think that's the word I'm looking for.) Some of the newer works sound a little 'overproduced' to me. I think it detracts a bit from the intimacy.

All of their songs display some form of talent .. whether you are talking about melody, harmony, texture/timbre, polyphony etc.. But i'd say The Moor is possibly the song that displays their technical skills the best. Still Life in general is one of the more challenging releases of theirs.

Hello all, I'm a rookie in that and i'm from spain.

I thiank that "Ghost of perdition", "The drapery falls", "Serenity painted dead", "The moor", "Bleak" and...all! jeje