Sorry for this stupid question

HannibalGuy said:
GoD is 100% correct. If you suck, you suck. I'm still not going to accept you just because there is somebody out there that sucks more than you. You STILL suck.

I'd rather just ignore them, instead of getting worked up about how much they supposedly suck...

ShadowOfDeath said:
Slsk's chat rooms have a couple people who were like that.

Oh God, yes. Apologies. Some of the people in Slsk's black metal chat are fucking ridiculously stereotypical BMers :p

edit: you should still stop posting.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned here is that this goes WAY beyond metal. You can look at virtually ANY genre of music and you'll find people who take it to the point of becoming a way of life. And often times, unfortunately, those kinds of people will look down on others who don't take it as seriously as they do. People are people though, and cool people are still cool people... assholes still assholes. I've known a lot of bmers in my day who were as "true" as it gets... yet they still respected me and my own musical choices. While others were just seriously not cool, and thought that anyone who wasn't like they are was beneath them. The latter I simply ignore as best I can. It's the nature of our species I guess. Such as it is.

Black metal was "born" of a very singular vision, so I think a lot of the whole "true" stuff stems from that. But since its creation, black metal has grown into something as boundless as the universe itself... and if some choose not to accept that, then that's certainly their prerogative.

If you ask me, the only "trueness" that matters is whether or not you're true to yourself.

~Robert

Guardian of Darkness said:
People who wrap up their entire being in black metal and spout shit about it being their 'way of life' do tend to suck. People who look for the most underground bands they can find and make some statement about being 'true' also suck. What you're ignoring, however, is that some of the better bands do actually develop thought-provoking ideas in their music.
Posts like this make me want to have hot dirty monkey sex with you. Excellent post. :)

ADS said:
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned here is that this goes WAY beyond metal. You can look at virtually ANY genre of music and you'll find people who take it to the point of becoming a way of life. And often times, unfortunately, those kinds of people will look down on others who don't take it as seriously as they do. People are people though, and cool people are still cool people... assholes still assholes. I've known a lot of bmers in my day who were as "true" as it gets... yet they still respected me and my own musical choices. While others were just seriously not cool, and thought that anyone who wasn't like they are was beneath them. The latter I simply ignore as best I can. It's the nature of our species I guess. Such as it is.

Black metal was "born" of a very singular vision, so I think a lot of the whole "true" stuff stems from that. But since its creation, black metal has grown into something as boundless as the universe itself... and if some choose not to accept that, then that's certainly their prerogative.

If you ask me, the only "trueness" that matters is whether or not you're true to yourself.
Damn. That was a pretty astute judgment. Shame that many people don't buy into it. They should.

The thing about black metal...

It's made by musicians who take what they do very seriously. Wether or not other people take it seriously is up to them. The thing I enjoy the most about black metal is that fact... it's made by people devoted to what they do. I wouldnt buy a cabinet from a carpenter who was working as a joke... so I wouldn't buy and album by a band who wasnt serious about their music.

I take it seriously, because I take music seriously. It's more than just entertainment.

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
No, it isn't anything more than music. Worthless topic.

I disagree, look at the effort which goes into the lyrics, look at the effort which goes into making the music sound satanic. look at the illustrations on the album covers e.t.c. Learn about the history of Black Metal and you'll discover that BM is music designed for the ideology which now surrounds it.

Profånity said:
I disagree, look at the effort which goes into the lyrics, look at the effort which goes into making the music sound satanic. look at the illustrations on the album covers e.t.c. Learn about the history of Black Metal and you'll discover that BM is music designed for the ideology which now surrounds it.
Yes but black metal also has certain musical elements to it that also make it black metal. Music is just as important as ideology in this case. You can be inan anti-Christian band but that doesn't make your band black metal. Cradle of Filth is anti-Christian, does that make them black metal? I thought not.

There are some BM bands that I know take everything they do very seriously, I'll give you that. But, you just can't tell, and therefore I stick with my argument that it's just music, although it might be accompanied by some crazy 'ideology', nothing is as important to a genre of music than what it sounds like.

There are some BM bands that I know take everything they do very seriously, I'll give you that. But, you just can't tell, and therefore I stick with my argument that it's just music, although it might be accompanied by some crazy 'ideology', nothing is as important to a genre of music than what it sounds like.
I agree. Sometimes, ideology can enhance a band's sound though. If you're a Christian playing in a black metal band, your music probably won't have as much feeling as a hardcore NS or a Pagan worshipper's might, just because the music doesn't support your ideology. Andrew WK's music is high-octane and addictive because the man believes life is glorious and that when it's time to party, party hard. That comes through his music. Don't misquote me here. Ideology is not necessary to make excellent music. However, it can add to music if used properly. It can not detract.

But music sounds like its ideology, the ideology flows through the music. How serious the band members are is irrelevant, really.

Guardian of Darkness said:
But music sounds like its ideology, the ideology flows through the music. How serious the band members are is irrelevant, really.

:lol: You fucking suck.