Metallica question....

Imp!

Oct 12, 2005
Why are Metallica's later albums not considered metal? I mean, Load, Reload, St.Anger, even the Black Album... What the hell? If Def Leppard can be considered metal, why not this? Ain't My Bitch is an asskicking song, Reload might be terrible, but shit, it's still metal... Is this just a claim made by ignorant dopes just keeping up with trends or what?

Metallica's s/t is metal, but it's obvious load reload and st. anger are hard rock albums.

Imp! said:
Why are Metallica's later albums not considered metal? I mean, Load, Reload, St.Anger, even the Black Album... What the hell? If Def Leppard can be considered metal, why not this? Ain't My Bitch is an asskicking song, Reload might be terrible, but shit, it's still metal... Is this just a claim made by ignorant dopes just keeping up with trends or what?

Load reload are for sure alternative albums they really arent metal, st anger is more hard rock than anything, i would class the black album as metal though. If your gonna call MOP metal then your really pushing it to call reload metal

Imp! said:
They are not metal albums. At most they are hard rock albums. They do not have metal riffs, metal production, metal vocals, etc.

It matters when that's what this whole thread is about!!

If Annihilator, Celtic Frost, Neurosis, Motorhead and a myriad of other bands are metal then Load and Reload are too

I think its more hard rock and even a few songs are sort of southern rock. As for St. Anger... I don't know. There are a few "metal" parts but it is so embarrassing... all I can say is that I'm so pissed off I actually bought it.

Load and Reload are absolutely not Metal. They just aren't. They are, as has been said, hard rock albums with a southern boogie. There may be a hint of Metal here and there, but it's not overriding.

St. Anger is Metal...an egregious bastardization of Metal on a level rarely seen, but Metal.

Every album released by Metallica is likely to have a metal influence but black album is mostly considered rock coz of the melodic riffs and the vocals.
Load and reload may have a more metal-ish atmosphere but still the music is too hard rock and too shitty to be considered metal (compare to older stuff of course)
St anger is clearly more punk with aggressive guitars so I would call it punk influenced hard rock.
Still I don’t see how putting labels on albums is helpful.

hibernal_dream said:
It matters when that's what this whole thread is about!!
well then as said above I'd say they're quite clearly metal albums with hard rock and country thrown in the mix at times

Def Leppard are only considered metal in terms of their first two albums, which are akin to "Killing Machine" era Judas Priest in terms of heaviness (and quality). I'd say something like "No, No, No" or "Rocks Off" is more of a metal song than any of the shit on Load or Reload.
St Anger defies genre pigeonholing due to the fact it's just an abomination and words can't fully describe it's awfulness.