Soundtrack of your life

Ordeith

Infernal Garden Gnome
Oct 14, 2001
Norway
ermmmmmm
Yeah yeah, another top xx list :)
What 5 songs would go on to really define your life so far. Please write down a reason as well, like being able to relate to the lyrics.
Mine are :

"Supersonic" by Oasis - The first line of the song really hit me, despite the fact that the rest of it is drivel :)

"Everybody knows Whats Best for You" by Bad Religion - Not letting myself be controlled by others.

"Advent" by Opeth - The first Opeth song I heard. Had a huge impact on me and turned me onto epic metal.

"Vortex Surfer" by Motorpsycho - Perhaps my favourite song ever. I love it more every day ! Motorpsycho indirectly got me into other progressive stuff

"She Loves You" by the Beatles - When I was about 6 or 7 I put on one of my mom's old Beatles LP's. I recall this being the first song I really liked. Spent oh so many nights playing air guitar to it :D

At the risk of embarrasing myself, I really associate much with John William's music in general, particularly his compositions for the Superman movies.

I can dig the love passages, I can dig the main theme- it's like vengeance, overcoming and redemption, ressurection, love, power, vitality and peace all rolled in one. It matches very well with my spirit.

btw, I also can get into a lot of Rachmaninoff stuff too.

Opeth somehow fits, but not so consummately as the above. Strange innit?

Originally posted by E V I L
At the risk of embarrasing myself, I really associate much with John William's music in general, particularly his compositions for the Superman movies.

I can dig the love passages, I can dig the main theme- it's like vengeance, overcoming and redemption, ressurection, love, power, vitality and peace all rolled in one. It matches very well with my spirit.

btw, I also can get into a lot of Rachmaninoff stuff too.

Opeth somehow fits, but not so consummately as the above. Strange innit?

you have now lost my respect completely :p

OK, not every detail indicates an actual event in my life, but I think this might be good to shed some light on the connection between musical breakthroughs and events in my life. So, on with the text! (And you ask, "why did you write this?" The answer is that right now I feel like it.)

When I was a young kid I by accident turned into something of a cultural iron man when a strange LP caught my attention. At that time I had low self esteem and by the course of subsequent thoughts went onto seeing it springing only from where the slime live, namely the minds of others, other than mine. However, being the artistical creature prone to abstract thought and grotesque imagery, I was once painting my horror of Pink Floydian nature on a bleak autumn night. Giving rise to the avantgardist dwelling within me, the obscure and revolutionist qualities this horror withheld led me to the point that it was only a matter of time until I would feel copletely detached from conventional modes of thought regarding artistical expression. This in turn paved my long way to the so-called mountain of individual ideas, the moor of an unhindered flow of inspiration, from upon which I have since beheld the world, even if many more steps presumably lay ahead me.

...ok, your task is to know which songs, and by which artists, these five tracks are.

EDIT: Hm. Now after reading this I feel stupid. Well, that is one problem inherent in life, I think.. I still am interested in how you will find the songs, nevertheless.

OK Lina, that is one out of five! When I heard "The moor" was actually the moment I got totally into Opeth. No more Opeth songs though, as other artists must be given the space that their effects on my life necessitate...

The sins of thy beloved - All Alone

Emperor - Into the Infinity of Thoughts

Opeth - Moonlapse Vertigo

Amorphis - The Way

Bound for Glory - Unknown Soldier

The 5 songs that I'd say equate to pretty important moments in my life..

1. The Show Must Go On by Queen - sure it was the last song on their last album, but it really got me listening to and memorizing music I loved.

2. Wish - NIN - The first song I learned to play on guitar.

3. Blood and Fire - Type O Negative - lost my virginity to it..

4. To Bid You Farewell - duh - The first song I REALLY equated anything to, at the time, that is.

5. The Call of Ktulu - Metallica - Listened to this (and will forever remember it) while pulling out of York to go back to London. It was the first time I'd really felt somewhat independent, and even a little content (which I very rarely am)

I have so many more than 5, and I don't think I've found a song that to me characterizes my life in the last year or so. Candidates are "A Little Rain" by Tom Waits *applause*... "The Forest of October" by duh...*applause* or "Lateralus" by Tool *applause*

I'll keep you posted.

probably not.

1. Rebirth of Dead Souls - Fallen to Humankind

Being bound by these.. emotions and feelings.. torments me and it makes me wonder if feeling pain is what makes us human..

2. Navarre - Christ in Shackles

The idea that religion enslaves all as a lesson by example. Christ _was_ crucified, and in a way we are too.

3. Unseen Torment - Unseen Torment

Theres ..things.. eating us, we cannot see nor feel, but they are there.. consuming us..

4. Cuts of Pride - Morbid Dreams

My dreams are scary...

5. Cuts of Pride - Telltale Death

The little death is worse than death itself. The death we forget is the one that gets us.

"Three Libras" by A Perfect Circle - at the time I really, really liked a girl who really wasn't interested in me at all, but I didn't realise that until after I'd been egged on by friends to tell her how I feel and ask her out. I was promptly knocked back. So when I heard Maynard singing 'I threw you the obvious and you flew with it on your back', I felt he was singing my song.

"Wherever I May Roam" by Metallica - I started really listening to that song at a period in my life where I felt trapped by everyone and everything around me - always having to run around between work, school and other commitments with no obvious way out... the sense of complete personal freedom in the song spoke to me.

"The Drapery Falls" by Opeth - shamefully, the first time I'd actually heard Opeth at all. The beauty, complexity and stunning musicianship in the song awakened me to a completely different style of music to what I had been listening to previously.

"Easy" by Faith No More - do covers count? This was just the ultimate chill-out song for me - not too long back, I spent three hours with this song on repeat on the CD player in the video shop where I work, and somewhere towards the end of that time I nodded off on the sofa in the back.

"Shadows" by Nasum - one of the few songs that can inspire me into a destructive rage every time I hear it - this is a song I put on when I'm angry with my life, and usually the results are spectacular. Last time, I almost trashed the video shop.
:cry:

exit music (for a film) by radiohead. not my favourite radiohead track, but still so, so evocative and beautiful.

sister dew by dEUS. one of the closest things to a perfect song i've heard.

things behind the sun by nick drake. haunting and bleak yet undeniably beautiful.

like a rolling stone by bob dylan. i could listen to this on repeat constantly.

how soon is now? by the smiths. the stark and brutal honesty presented by the lyrics of this song used to really hit home.

do yourself a favour and download the above tracks if you're yet to hear them.

1. The Cry of Mankind - My Dying Bride
2. Teargas- Katatonia
3. Inner Silence - Anathema
4. Marche Slave - Tchaikovsky
5. I'm Too Sexy- Right Said Fred