Steven Wilson interview...

Sanzen

Noonish Is My Robe
Sep 13, 2004
North Carolina, USA
over at smnnews.com. here: http://www.smnnews.com/interviews/pt.php

The Opeth-related bits...

It’s widely recognized Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth appears on the “Deadwing”, what tracks did he appear on, and what was his ultimate role in the album?

Mikael plays a guitar solo on ‘Arriving Somewhere but Not Here’ and attributes to all the harmony vocals on the disc. He’s a very good friend of mine, and I’ve produced a number of Opeth albums for him, and I felt he returned the favor on this album. I rate him as one of the top guitarists in the world as well, and it was a no brainer to have him come along and play on the record.

Will you be producing the next Opeth album as was announced last year or have the plans changed?

Well unfortunately I don’t think I can. They are starting their album next month, and next month I start touring with Porcupine Tree, so I mean I had a meeting with the guys in London to see if there’s a way to help nip over – but I wont be able to give same commitment as I have like the last albums, but they will make a fantastic albums anyway, a lot of stuff they do they can do without me - my boys can fly on their own without me now! We are all disappointed, but I am a victim of my own success with my projects. I’ve had less and less time to do it, but when I retire I can have a nice retirement period of sitting in the studio producing.

Yeah, Steven...the boys can fly on their own without you now. Just like they did for years before you popped in. :Smug: I love PT, but sometimes SW can be a wanker. :(

Were you serious with your last sentences? Cause then you are more stupid than I thought you would be.

I was talknig about this

Just like they did for years before you popped in. I love PT, but sometimes SW can be a wanker.

Longinus said:
Were you serious with your last sentences? Cause then you are more stupid than I thought you would be.

oops, did I ruffle your feathers in the other thread, mate? Sorry to bust your bubble, but read what SW says and think about it. don't strain yourself.

i read the thing he said aswell, you do realise that was the only bad looking thing he said, only jokin aswell i assume. among the good things he said 'but they will make a fantastic albums anyway' 'I rate him as one of the top guitarists in the world as well'.

affinityband said:
Bust my bubble, not at all, hes not that great lol, if it was mikeal akerfeldt then yea you'd burst a bubble. unfortunatley i havent had the privalige of meeting mikeal akerfeldt.

Wasn't talking to you man. That's why I quoted Longinus. And besides, he may've said it in a joking manner, but it's just an example of SW's condescending tone towards anything that isn't Pink Floyd. SW is a brilliant musician...but I think he's more sure of that than anyone else, unfortunately. :(

I like how Steve recognizes that Mike is one of the best guitarists. Mike's solos on Arriving Somewhere own everything else on that album.