Still Life - a bad album?

Kung Keno

May 4, 2003
umä!
Visit site
When reading the biography at opeth.com and just listening to peolpe talking about opeth-albums i get the impression that Still life is a bad (at least opeth´s worst) album. Anyone here who doesn´t like it and why? I myself find it really good.

no, its great. i have also heard members of opeth say in interviews that still life is one of their best albums. i was always confused about that as well. it is my personal favorite.

I like Still Life, but it doesn't feel as complete as other Opeth albums like [My Arms, Your Hearse] or [Deliverance]. I cannot dare to skip any of the tracks in those albums. But for Still Life, I SOMETIME just want to listen to Godhead's Lament or White Cluster and just skip the rest. But even as a whole, Still Life is pretty damn good. The worst of Opeth is still 50X better than the best of the rest. ;)

Note/Edit: I am not implying that Still Life is Opeth's worst. On the contrary, it's equally as brilliant as their other albums. It's just that right now I'm not getting that 'complete' feeling from it. But then again, I've only listened to it only about 10 times fully. Maybe my mind will change after the 75th listen...

I don't think it's their worst, it's hard to say worst and Opeth in the same sentence. I'd go as far as 'least best', and I'd say Deliverance, should've had a couple more tracks, thats all.

Its one of those albums that when you get it and for a while, you think its "definately one of their best"..... although it doesn't have as much lasting power as the others, and it moves down the "opeth album ranking list".... thats just what I think....

that being said, its still obviously an incredible album.

SunlapseVertigo said:
Its one of those albums that when you get it and for a while, you think its "definately one of their best"..... although it doesn't have as much lasting power as the others, and it moves down the "opeth album ranking list".... thats just what I think....

that being said, its still obviously an incredible album.
I agree...i find it a bit cheesy in places and its like a poorer version of BP. But good :loco:

Apprentice's Master said:
The worst of Opeth is still 50X better than the best of the rest. ;)
hell yeah! I wouldn't call Still Life their best album, but I doubt I'd judge it very harshly. I have more trouble with Morning Rise... while the idividual musical sections are great, the song consruction doesn't seem as fluent as Opeth's later material. Once again, though, I refer you to the above quote...

yeah i'd have to disagree w/the majority of the posts here...i love still life. IMO, it is by far their best one...the atmosphere is incredible throughout the entire album, and it flows perfectly from song to song. i think it woulda been kinda cool if there wouldn't have been any track pauses (like the tracks would run into each other), cuz i think for most the songs, the note/key/whatever you call it that ends one song is used to start the next track. musically it's awsome, and i love how it's a concept album...i guess MAYH is too, but i couldn't really tell what was going on; maybe i just need to listen to that one more.

in my opinion, it's a masterpiece, simple as that =) and no, i don't think BWP comes even close to surpassing SL!

I think that Still Life is the best Opeth album. The concept is awesome and the balance between soft and heavy parts is brilliant...

It's got the best-realized lyrics for sure. It's also more serious (musically) than maybe all of them except Morningrise. And it's got some of the best acoustic work they've done. It's nowhere near worst.

SunlapseVertigo said:
yeah it also doesn't help by the fact that its immediately eclipsed by BWP.

That is patently absurd. Blackwater Park couldn't eclipse my pinkie toe, let alone Still Life.

Bullshit ! Still Life is great melodically. I would recommend it for any new listener and therefore it can't be their worst. I believe it's their best efford melodically, mixing the acoustic and clean vocals along with their heavier sound.

By the way, it's reeeeealy HARD to say WORST along with OPETH.

If it weren't for "Serenity Painted Death" the album would be 100% flawless (IMO). I don't know what it is, but I just can't get into that song very much. I still think it's their best album though.

liquidtension said:
Bullshit ! Still Life is great melodically. I would recommend it for any new listener and therefore it can't be their worst. I believe it's their best efford melodically, mixing the acoustic and clean vocals along with their heavier sound.

right. i started off with SL and fell in love with opeth :)