Still Life - a bad album?

Still Life is an amazing album and one of my favorites of all time. Over the last week or so I've been listening to it obsessively and it just gets better. "The Moor" is becoming one of my favorite songs ever.

Still Life is by far their most technically challenging album... for tabbers aswell. It seems as though the more times you listen to it, the more new things you find going on in the music, it's just awesome.

I also think that Still Life is the most 'Prog Rock' sounding album in Opeth's catalogue, mainly because the whole album has this one undertone, this one feeling, and all the transitions serve well to embody that.

As a whole, I think most fans will agree with me Still Life, if not MAYH, is the most 'flowing' album, so to speak. BWP can match Still Life's songs individually, but as a whole BWP fails... there is no grand direction, because all the songs were experimental, new and were concepts in themselves, not concepts as a whole.

If Orchid wasn't my favourite album, Still Life would be :).

I just bought Still Life a couple days ago, and it is my first opeth album I've bought. I really enjoy all the songs on their, but honestly I do find myself skipping 'Godhead's Lament' often. Maybe it's because I've heard it so much before that I'm not so into it as the other songs.

But some of the spotlight songs on their that I really enjoy are:

The Moor
Face Of Melinda
Serenity Painted Death

Why do half the people on this board see some great flaw with SPD and White Cluster? These songs take quite a beating... I think they're both great, especially SPD, which always makes me headbang involuntarily.

SL is my fav overall album, with Morningrise in second. Though lately Damnation's been sounding pretty good.

I think SL is on the weak side as far as Opeth goes. SL is the first time that Opeth ever uses a verse chorus structure, which I don't like as much as the wandering Orchid/MR/MAYH style. The album is a little short, too. SL does have some of the best Opeth solos, but I think it lacks the evil-ness that MAYH, BWP, and D1 have. Moonlapse Vertigo is a great song, but none of the others would be in my top 10 Opeth songs. The Moor is way overrated on this board.

It depends. You need to give SL time to grow on you. At first I didn't like the album much, but the more you listen to it (I recommend at night, with some headphones), and if you listen with a clear mind you really begin to appreciate some of its finer points.

True, of course that this is the first time Opeth seriously dabbled with the lead/rhythm structure, but let me ask you, what exactly was Demon of the Fall? Most of MAYH seems to be a rhythm/rhythm harmony style, and Still Life only slightly sounds less standard. Anyway, how many times have you heard a riff sound as good as the rhytm/lead over the 'blank stare into me...' part of Serenity Painted Death.... the two parts virtually entwine flawlessly, something unseen since Orchid :).

The part in Serenity Painted Death around 3:15, when the song just opens up. That always sends shivers down my spine. I class it as one of Opeth's best songs. Magical. Then there is this part here at 7:00...

Kung Keno said:
When reading the biography at opeth.com and just listening to peolpe talking about opeth-albums i get the impression that Still life is a bad (at least opeth´s worst) album. Anyone here who doesn´t like it and why? I myself find it really good.

Still Life is probably my favorite Opeth album, probably because it was my first Opeth album. I love it. The story, the music, everything about it makes it my favorite. Morningrise comes a close second, though...

Still Life is probably Opeths most layered, textured and deepest album. As Moonlapse said, every listen will bring forward new things you'd never noticed. Its brilliant and FAR from their worst album. I'd give that place to Deliverance for being so damn droning.

Moonlapse said:
As a whole, I think most fans will agree with me Still Life, if not MAYH, is the most 'flowing' album, so to speak.
True ! Great review though.
I think SL is the most "easy flowing" album. The melodies are very catchy, and the songs as a whole are easy-listening (if I can say so).
MAYH is harder to listen but once you get to it you never let go. For me the greatest concept album Opeth ever done (almost tied with SL, but the best for the reasons written).

Sinistas said:
Still Life is my favorite Opeth album, and Serenity Painted Death is my favorite track off of it. Everything from 6:13 on is godly.
What the fuck!?

HOw long are the songs on that album??!