Still Life - a bad album?

Still Life is the best Opeth album ever made, by far. The part I can't get around is how everyone raves about BWP. That's a great album, but nowhere near as good as MAYH, Still Life and Deliverance.

And I'm in absolute agreement with most everyone on here that Serenity Painted Death is incredible. (Not that you could tell by reading my signature or anything....) The harmonic riff in the chorus is over the top and the melodies on the song are superb.

In my opinion BWP and Still life are the two best albums. They just seem so complete with a good balance of soft to hard, and variance in tracks. Next would probably be Deliverance/Damnation, Morningrise, MAYH, then Orchid. I really only put Orchid last because of how old it is and the sound quality is much better in the later albums.

Still Life from beginning to end is flawless and is probably my favorite Opeth album although Morningrise and MAYH are pretty close. I would consider Deliverance and Orchid to be my least favorite Opeth albums.

Caelum Adustum said:
If it weren't for "Serenity Painted Death" the album would be 100% flawless (IMO). I don't know what it is, but I just can't get into that song very much. I still think it's their best album though.
I agree here a bit, always found that chorus a bit awkward... still (...) a great album.

Overall SPD is a good song but, yeah, the music that is under "White faced, haggard grin..." bothers me a little...mainly that pinch harmonic. But that is my only quibble with the album.

Side note: Isn't the melody around 00:45 (on SPD) used on some song on BWP? I can't think of song, but I'm almost positive they used it somewhere on that album too.

I enjoy Still Life the most, then comes My Arms Your Hearse then Morningrise.

Still Life has the catchiest melodies, yet some of the most technical riffs that Opeth has ever written. Probably the most prog-ish of all the Opeth albums as well. I love Serenity Painted Death, in fact I like all the songs on the album!

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
I enjoy Still Life the most, then comes My Arms Your Hearse then Morningrise.

Still Life has the catchiest melodies, yet some of the most technical riffs that Opeth has ever written. Probably the most prog-ish of all the Opeth albums as well. I love Serenity Painted Death, in fact I like all the songs on the album!

I gave up on death metal about 8 years ago (the last few bands I remember that I was into was Bathory and Death), had a family, mellowed out. I switched to Prodigy, Crystal Method, Sypercharger and Chemical bros due to me working in the car audio field. Someone gave me Still life to listen to...And he can get fucked if he thinks hes getting it back!!! I think I'm back, going hard at thirty. And theres plenty of tallented new bands around(Opeth ,Hypocrisy, Macarbe and a few others). This album made me realise that I really missed the shit-out came Bathory-The Return. But all in all this album thumps!!!

Still Life is number one to me, although I didn't like it at first. It contains the best Opeth songs ever.
It could be only "The Moor", "SPD" and "White Cluster" and It would still be the greatest!