Still Life - a bad album?

Kung Keno said:
When reading the biography at opeth.com and just listening to peolpe talking about opeth-albums i get the impression that Still life is a bad (at least opeth´s worst) album. Anyone here who doesn´t like it and why? I myself find it really good.
I have to say that Still Life is the album I listen to the most. However, I have to also admit that I don't really have a favourite Opeth album, all of them are just too brilliant in their own right, each stands high for it's own merits and each represents a different phase in the maturity of the band's music.

I agree with many people here about the lyrical side of the album, it's just amazing reading, even without the music, it's a great story. I hope they do do another concept album again, it would be great.

Apprentice's Master said:
I like Still Life, but it doesn't feel as complete as other Opeth albums like [My Arms, Your Hearse] or [Deliverance]. I cannot dare to skip any of the tracks in those albums. But for Still Life, I SOMETIME just want to listen to Godhead's Lament or White Cluster and just skip the rest. But even as a whole, Still Life is pretty damn good. The worst of Opeth is still 50X better than the best of the rest.
Still Life to me boasts the band's deepest acoustic work, it's intricate and highly detailed. Not only that, but I think we can hear Mikael's cleaner voice take on it's more present day form. Combining both of these, listen for a great example of both at 3.44 in Godhead's Lament (this section of the song is enough to carry the track overall imho, it's beautiful stuff).

I also find Still Life to be a "transitional" album, it sits right in the middle point of their growth. You can hear twin guitars out in force on this record, but records afterwards? Pretty rare stuff imho, esp since Mike has said himself that he's sick to death of twin guitars because everyone in Sweden is doing it as well.

Still Life is an album which takes a LOT of listens to analyse fully. Some albums like Orchid and Blackwater Park hit you in the face right away, and it's far easier to notice why those albums are great.

I think due to the production style on Still Life, the music tends to have more of a fuller feel, almost like a wall of sound. It's because of this that it takes so many listens to properly gain a feel for.

Not only that, but the album overall is highly detailed, and it takes a lot to absorb that properly.

Your best bet would be to sit down, and spend a good amount of time listening to the album carefully. It doesn't hit you in the face, but Still Life has some amazing subtleties which are like finding gold when you realise it's there.

Over time, I'll bet you will love this album. Just be patient with it:)

Cheers, The Hubster

The Hubster said:
I have to say that Still Life is the album I listen to the most. However, I have to also admit that I don't really have a favourite Opeth album, all of them are just too brilliant in their own right, each stands high for it's own merits and each represents a different phase in the maturity of the band's music.

I agree with many people here about the lyrical side of the album, it's just amazing reading, even without the music, it's a great story. I hope they do do another concept album again, it would be great.

Still Life to me boasts the band's deepest acoustic work, it's intricate and highly detailed. Not only that, but I think we can hear Mikael's cleaner voice take on it's more present day form. Combining both of these, listen for a great example of both at 3.44 in Godhead's Lament (this section of the song is enough to carry the track overall imho, it's beautiful stuff).

I also find Still Life to be a "transitional" album, it sits right in the middle point of their growth. You can hear twin guitars out in force on this record, but records afterwards? Pretty rare stuff imho, esp since Mike has said himself that he's sick to death of twin guitars because everyone in Sweden is doing it as well.

Still Life is an album which takes a LOT of listens to analyse fully. Some albums like Orchid and Blackwater Park hit you in the face right away, and it's far easier to notice why those albums are great.

I think due to the production style on Still Life, the music tends to have more of a fuller feel, almost like a wall of sound. It's because of this that it takes so many listens to properly gain a feel for.

Not only that, but the album overall is highly detailed, and it takes a lot to absorb that properly.

Your best bet would be to sit down, and spend a good amount of time listening to the album carefully. It doesn't hit you in the face, but Still Life has some amazing subtleties which are like finding gold when you realise it's there.

Over time, I'll bet you will love this album. Just be patient with it:)

Cheers, The Hubster

Yes!