Still Life - a bad album?

Still Life is just perfect in every way. Each riff, each solo, each vocal line is just perfect. I just love how it goes from a song like Benighted into the kick ass opening riff of Moonlapse Vertigo. Everything is placed so well. My favourite songs off the album would have to be Godheads Lament, Moonlapse Vertigo, Face of Melinda and Serenity Painted Death.

Still life is my favourite opeth album. In my opinion, one of the main things that makes a great album is great dynamics and still life has some of the best dynamics i have ever heard.

The moor, that part from 7.20ish -> 10:20ish....that part is....yeah. freakin awesome. Then to the end and the opening of godheads lament. yeah. it's great.

The riffs, the dynamics, the melody...one of my favourite albums.

Oh and serenity painted death rocks! 1.20ish it drops out and that riff that comes in i love. ripped from my embrace-aaahhhh. gold.

Caelum Adustum said:
If it weren't for "Serenity Painted Death" the album would be 100% flawless (IMO). I don't know what it is, but I just can't get into that song very much. I still think it's their best album though.

i think it's a really good song. 'specially the harmonics during the heavy part..the first time i heard that i was like :OMG:

glad to see a lot of people feel that way i do :) still life is easily my favorite album i own, and i think it's 99.9% perfect. the only thing wrong with it i think, is when serenity painted death cuts off. i know it was meant to be there, but still, it interrupts the flow IMO. but god, all the songs are incredible! take a few hits, put on some quality headphones and let it take you for a ride...

When i first time listened Opeth, i listened Still life. From that moment i have always think its best opeth album.. There's so great "balance" between songs..like first the moor, godhead's lament, then it "calms down" with benighted and so on.. just _perfect_ ;)

I'm amazed at how many of you really think this is the best Opeth album. BWP, MR, and MAYH are all much better. Here's why: MR. SL may have Benighted and Face of Melinda, but TBYF owns these songs. The bass guitar actually plays a role on MR. It is essentially non-existant on SL. The acoustic sections are better on MR. The song structure may not be as tight, but I prefer the wandering structure. The vocal delivery is far better on MR, with the whispering and all. MAYH. The lyrics and concept are better. There is no repetition on this album. Demon of the Fall is on this album. Nothing on SL can touch Demon of the Fall, or When. Epilogue is a far better close to an album than the end of White Cluster. April starts the album with much more of a bang than the boring Moor does. The acoustic passages on MAYH are great, too. BWP. BWP does have repetition at times, and Harvest is a straight verse/chorus song, so it doesn't beat SL in that department. However, BWP sounds so much more evil than SL. Nothing on SL comes close to Leper, or BWP. The lyrics are great on BWP, and the bass returns. The transitions from soft to heavy are done very well. The riffs on BWP are the best Opeth riffs. Except for some Orchid riffs. But I doubt that all of you here have Orchid anyway. Conclusion: SL is AT BEST Opeth's fourth best album.

SL is my second favorite Opeth album, next to MAYH. What can I say, I'm a sucker for concept albums.

However, I think that The Moor is terribly overrated, Godhead's Lament and Face of Melinda own that cd.

The chorus ("white face, haggard grin.....") section is the best part of SPD.

I don't understand how people can love SL and hate BWP, or vice versa. They're the two most similar sounding albums Opeth has put out.

Reactions: MasterOLightning
Still Life is probably Opeth's best written album, in the sense of song writing anyway. Lyrically and how the songs connect is absolutely awesome. I like MAYH the most, but Still Life is very, very good. The only thing that can get me is the two clean vocal songs on it, sometimes I just wanna hear some growls. Hah

MasterOLightning said:
I'm amazed at how many of you really think this is the best Opeth album. BWP, MR, and MAYH are all much better. Here's why: MR. SL may have Benighted and Face of Melinda, but TBYF owns these songs. The bass guitar actually plays a role on MR. It is essentially non-existant on SL. The acoustic sections are better on MR. The song structure may not be as tight, but I prefer the wandering structure. The vocal delivery is far better on MR, with the whispering and all. MAYH. The lyrics and concept are better. There is no repetition on this album. Demon of the Fall is on this album. Nothing on SL can touch Demon of the Fall, or When. Epilogue is a far better close to an album than the end of White Cluster. April starts the album with much more of a bang than the boring Moor does. The acoustic passages on MAYH are great, too. BWP. BWP does have repetition at times, and Harvest is a straight verse/chorus song, so it doesn't beat SL in that department. However, BWP sounds so much more evil than SL. Nothing on SL comes close to Leper, or BWP. The lyrics are great on BWP, and the bass returns. The transitions from soft to heavy are done very well. The riffs on BWP are the best Opeth riffs. Except for some Orchid riffs. But I doubt that all of you here have Orchid anyway. Conclusion: SL is AT BEST Opeth's fourth best album.

What a post. I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think Opeth have a "best" album, all their albums are different and i love all of them, and TBYF is the best mellow track outside of Damnation by far.

its my favourite album and i must admit that although i really liked deliverance i dont get why ppl say that its opeth's best album. i mean tracks like 'face of melinda' and 'the moor' or 'white cluster' are real diamonds and still life feels a
'complete' album from every aspect...