still life re mixed

Apr 23, 2006
from http://www.fascinationstreet.se/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2007-05-30
Still Life re-mixed!

The old Opeth classic Still Life have been re-mixed in 5.1 by Jens.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

When will this see the light of day?

Heh, it'd be funny if after this gets released, a bunch of people would post threads saying "Wtf there aren't any channel dropouts, is this a problem with just my CD? wtfz0r!"

It's actually a completely new mix in 5.1.
It was very wierd listening to it. There were leads in there I've never heard before that are on the mastertapes but I can't hear them on the album, until now. Obviously the "cough" was now loud and clear. It's a wierd album for sure....wierd things happened during that recording.

The system I listened it through in was not the best but it's very clear at least, but it sounds a lot different, which I guess is the point.
Very interesting. The screams are right next to you and some of them are dry, which made me shiver a little...as in it scared me.

Anyways, we'll let you know what's up with that, but the mix is done.
Travis is working on some nice artwork, leftover ideas and such.

Mike

Sweetness... I'm definitely acclimated to the unique sound of Still Life, kind of like a funky bottle of old vine wine. I'll certainly pick this up when it comes out. I love 5:1 mixes. whoot.

Wow, 5.1. I WILL be buying this one for sure. In fact I would buy all 8 albums all over again if they were released in 5.1.

Will it be hi-res dvd audio or just a 5.1 mix? Can't wait either way.

Morningrise in 5.1.... just imagine...........:headbang::kickass::worship:

Yay! Nice to get Mike confirmation and explanation, too. So, why Still Life? Are other early albums going to be given this treatment? Morningrise?

Mikael Åkerfeldt;6694038 said:
It's actually a completely new mix in 5.1.
It was very wierd listening to it. There were leads in there I've never heard before that are on the mastertapes but I can't hear them on the album, until now. Obviously the "cough" was now loud and clear. It's a wierd album for sure....wierd things happened during that recording.

The system I listened it through in was not the best but it's very clear at least, but it sounds a lot different, which I guess is the point.
Very interesting. The screams are right next to you and some of them are dry, which made me shiver a little...as in it scared me.

Anyways, we'll let you know what's up with that, but the mix is done.
Travis is working on some nice artwork, leftover ideas and such.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Is there any plans to downmix it back to stereo and package it as a 're-release' of Still Life? I'd actually be very curious to hear how a modern mixing approach would treat the album (Fredrik had so much verb on MAYH and SL!) but I don't have a 5.1 system.

Cheers for the heads up.

Hey Mike,

Is there any plans to downmix it back to stereo and package it as a 're-release' of Still Life? I'd actually be very curious to hear how a modern mixing approach would treat the album (Fredrik had so much verb on MAYH and SL!) but I don't have a 5.1 system.

Cheers for the heads up.

My thoughts exactly.