Stop bitching the New In flames !

Testing...testing

Is this thing on?

Question: What is the currently accepted classification (genre/style/whatever) for the following bands?

• In Flames
  • Passenger
  • Dimension Zero
Just these 3 for now, more later perhaps.

Thank you

Never heard Passenger. In Flames are generally classified as melodic death metal but only due to lack of a better term; there's no real name for what they do at this point. I would call it melodic alternative metal. Dimension Zero are straight-up melodic death metal.

Never heard Passenger. In Flames are generally classified as melodic death metal but only due to lack of a better term; there's no real name for what they do at this point. I would call it melodic alternative metal. Dimension Zero are straight-up melodic death metal.

I'd agree with this. Passenger are either Alternative Metal or Nu Metal. I'd go with Alternative if I had to pick.

edit: looks like Clay-man got in there before me :D

Thank you for your answers.

Are the various classifications that you have identified considered genres or styles (or something other), and how do you differentiate between them?

For instance, the following are all quotes from posts in this thread from before and after my 2 recent questions. Would these be considered styles?

• "Death Metally Melodic Death Metal"
  • "the sort of melodic death metal that is death metal"
  • "melodic metal"
  • "not the true death metal melodic death metal, but the sort of offshoot of melodic death metal"
  • "melodic alternative metal"
  • "Alternative Metal"
Had to lol at some of these, btw. :D

Death Metal, Melodic Death Metal, and Nu Metal are a more widely accepted terms as far as genres are concerned (afaik), so skip those for now.

death metally melodic death metal and "the sort of melodic death metal that is death metal" would be more old school stuff like At The Gates, Like An Everflowing Stream, and TJR and Whoracle. (Lunar Strain and Subterranean are honestly closer to melodic black metal than death metal).

"Melodic metal" means stuff like Firewind. If someone says melodic extreme metal, they mean stuff like Children of Bodom, Wintersun, and Kalmah, although that stuff is also sometimes called melodeath (distinct from melodic death metal).

"not the true death metal melodic death metal, but the sort of offshoot of melodic death metal" - this refers to stuff that isn't old school death metal melodic death metal as defined in the first example, but is also not melodic extreme metal. It's an evolved form, currently played by Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, and others. I call it melodic alternative metal.

Alternative metal is metal that incorporates some elements of hard rock and possibly nu metal. A very varied sound, because it's kind of a category for stuff that doesn't fit. If it's extreme metal (uses blast-beats, really heavy guitar work, almost entirely extreme vocals, etc) it's NOT alternative metal. There's overlap between what's just plain Heavy Metal and Alternative Metal.

I think Inflames could be called Alternative deathmetal (as a whole) But as they no more have growling it's just alternative metal with lots of deathmetal influence.

Not really much death metal anymore. They were never very death metal; the two albums which sorta qualify as true melodic death metal were close to the edge. Also vocals don't determine genre.

There is no such thing as Death Metal with 100% clean singing that I ever heard.

There's a reason why they're called Death Growls.

There could be death metal with clean singing. It could exist. I don't think it does, though. And I think it would suck.

I'm not sure, but wouldn't Dragonforce then be concidered as Deathmetal, they use blastbeat.

They use the Discharge beat really fast, it's not a real blastbeat. Also, their riffs are just power chords strung together - not death metal at all.

Comparing CC and ASOP...

I think that ASOP was much easier to listen, it's less brutal, and well...more like pop.
Then this CC as I said is more brutal, it's got much more thrash and alternative metal in it, but the songs are also alittle bit harder to get to.

Well but I still like ASOP though I've listened to it's songs pretty much, and CC I just got last week and I've listened through it twice, and some stuff on my mp3 player, and I have to say that the intro's are not nearly as interesting as the ones on ASOP, guess I just have to listen a little bit more so that I memorize them better.

Though I love them both, I would get ASOP shirt if there were other colors than black, (same with other albums too, actually), because I'm sick of wearing all black always.

All the ASOP shirt designs I've seen are disgusting. I wouldn't be caught dead with any new In Flames merch in public.

I haven't paid attention much, but if I remember correctly I liked some of them.

I could wear a shirt with asop cover in it...:rolleyes:
I could too, i think the design is neat actually. I like the Owl boy theme ^^
I got 2 if shirts atm. One is the jester race and other one is a new one, not the owl boy but a creature holding a labyrinth in it's hand.