Studio Report & other news updates *updated 1/10/06*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two hours of music? Don't make a double CD, maybe they can hold onto it so we won't have to wait another three years till the CD after this one comes out. :)

Beelzebub said:
Two hours of music? Don't make a double CD, maybe they can hold onto it so we won't have to wait another three years till the CD after this one comes out. :)

Either that or junk half of it and just release the best hour of it. Why have more songs just to have more songs? I never understood the need for album filler...

This definitely sounds promising--I think Poe would be a neat direction to go. I wonder what stories interest them the most?

And I am interested in whether this means the orchestration will be prominent like on the darker songs from Twilight, or downplayed in favor of the guitar as was frequent on the Odyssey.

When people freaked out about this new album being "darker" they automatically thought that MJR meant that it would be heavier than The Odyssey. I tried to explain to some that I felt "darker" for SyX meant just darker in its tone and atmosphere (keys, orchestration, lyrical content).

Well it looks like I was right! :p

Yngvai X said:
Either that or junk half of it and just release the best hour of it. Why have more songs just to have more songs? I never understood the need for album filler...

Who said any of it was junk? If I remember correctly the stuff they didn't use for Twilight ended up getting used in V and look how well that turned out.

2 hours worth of music..this means some of it is just bits and pieces of songs, riffs and the like that have yet to be assembled into songs with lyrics; it doesn't mean there are fully assembled songs that total 2 hours in length. Some of the material will be used, some won't, some may end up as bonus track(s) depending on the whole Japanese label thing. We'll see how things come together in the upcoming weeks..

Beelzebub said:
Who said any of it was junk? If I remember correctly the stuff they didn't use for Twilight ended up getting used in V and look how well that turned out.

I'm speaking from the standpoint of someone who has written an album and who does write music. No good composer uses *everything* they write, because lets face it, not everything we write is good. I can remember times where I'd be up until 5 or 6 am writing music, only to listen to it the next day and hit the big ole "delete" in my recording software. Daniel Gildenlow said it best (paraphrasing) "I'll write a ton of music, and then I'll throw away 99% of that...and then I'll rewrite that 1% and throw away another 99%...and then I have a song"

Yngvai X said:
I'm speaking from the standpoint of someone who has written an album and who does write music. No good composer uses *everything* they write, because lets face it, not everything we write is good. I can remember times where I'd be up until 5 or 6 am writing music, only to listen to it the next day and hit the big ole "delete" in my recording software. Daniel Gildenlow said it best (paraphrasing) "I'll write a ton of music, and then I'll throw away 99% of that...and then I'll rewrite that 1% and throw away another 99%...and then I have a song"

same here..I just don't have it on my cpu

Jax said:
Much of that dark tone would lend itself to ghostly or horror themes (they're tossing around such ideas as Paradise Lost, and the works of Edgar Allan Poe, for example), but MJR says nothing is definite as far as lyrics go.

Poe would be an awesome source from which to draw inspiration. "The Masque of the Red Death" is a great story with a powerful theme. Or maybe an Oscar Wilde story. Well, I trust that whatever MJR works from, he'll have a great final piece to share.

While most people are familiar with it, "The Telltale Heart" would also work well...hmm...wonder what Rullo could do to that one to add to the creep factor?

And another one that always freaked me out was "The Cask of Amontillado", when that guy gets walled in the cellar to die...

To reiterate what I said on other forums... people at SyX camp are idiots. They DELAY the album to release very subpar albums such as Pinella's and Allen's solo efforts, and then they turn down the chance to be part of the bill of a HUGE tour and they turn it down because they have to finish the new album wich was delayed because of crap in the first place?!?

I dont know what the hell are they thinking, but with the respect they deserve I have to say that they really fucked it up with this one.

SymphonyOfDreams said:
To reiterate what I said on other forums... people at SyX camp are idiots. They DELAY the album to release very subpar albums such as Pinella's and Allen's solo efforts, and then they turn down the chance to be part of the bill of a HUGE tour and they turn it down because they have to finish the new album wich was delayed because of crap in the first place?!?

I dont know what the hell are they thinking, but with the respect they deserve I have to say that they really fucked it up with this one.

I agree. They really should have tried to get on this tour. It would have been a great boost for their popularity for sure.

But then again its not all about popularity. And you can't expect the band members to devote all their talents to SymX, can you? They should be allowed to work on their own stuff if they decide to, even if you consider them subpar.

Oh for God's sake. This is stupid--don't you think doing solo albums gives them a chance to do what they wouldn't get a chance to with the band, and that just maybe the band members would like that in order to feel completely happy and fulfilled as artists?

Personally, I'd rather be a fan of a band that takes its time, creates a situation where they're going to be happy and getting along with each other, and produces good work when time allows--instead of driving themselves into the ground, feeling stifled, biting each other's heads off, and ultimately breaking up with their potential unfulfilled. That kind of stuff happens a lot.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have done the solo albums, by all means they should and I'm happy they did. However the excuse they used to turn down a tour such as the Gigantour (a tour that would favor the band a lot), is incredibly lame considering the album got delayed in the first place for reasons that didn't favor the band at all.

More exposure = more fans, more money for the band, better offers from the labels, more posibilities for better production in the albums, more headline tours, more posibilities of live CDs and DVDs, and more importantly MORE SALES FOR THEIR UP AND COMING AND ALBUM.

I mean... there has to be more than... "we cant delay the album", because that's crap.

SymphonyOfDreams said:

Why are you here when you proclaim far and wide that you don't even like the band? Just like to start shit?

Suffice it to say that factors that you and the general public are not privy to were part of the decision to skip the Gigantour.

Status
Not open for further replies.