Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame

i still say MM is their best, but Stronghold is the one I'd give to casual or new listeners.

the last song on LMHSYF rules the album.

Summoning is one of the few bands I know of that has progressed naturally with each album without ever giving up their sexual preference towards women. That said, I don't feel that "Dol Guldur" or "Minas Morgul" is significantly better than their newer albums in any "objectve" way, but they do edge them out because of their inclination towards traditional black metal in the guitar department.

Summoning is one of the few bands I know of that has progressed naturally with each album without ever giving up their sexual preference towards women. That said, I don't feel that "Dol Guldur" or "Minas Morgul" is significantly better than their newer albums in any "objectve" way, but they do edge them out because of their inclination towards traditional black metal in the guitar department.

Fucking exactly. I'm really coming onto this Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame.

I did just find out that Lugburz is completely different than the rest of their material. I have to hear it now!

I don't feel that "Dol Guldur" or "Minas Morgul" is significantly better than their newer albums in any "objectve" way

Yes and no, in fact I find the melodies way more inspired and the arrangements deeper thought-out on "Dol Guldur" than on anything they did ever since, "Stronghold" being a bit of a sideline one for the guitar-driven approach. "Dol Guldur" is the one I'll play if I want to close my brain for a genuine Middle Earth dive, but all of them are must-haves. I haven't listened to "Oath Bound" a lot though, should give it another go.

Besides "Might and Glory" and "Land of the Dead", I can't say I listen to Oath Bound all that much. I'm in that group that considers Stronghold their absolute best, though Dol Guldur is a close 2nd. Actually, their EP between those 2 albums is amazing as well. Just a shame they'll never get a few session musicians together for a live show.

In the darkness... FIND THEM!

*I'm pretty sure it's BIND them.

I seem to be in quite a minority, in this thread at least, in that I enjoy the Summoning releases I have (Dol Goldur and Mortal Heroes) well enough, and even concede that there are moments of real hypnotic brilliance where the percussion, melodies and vocals merge perfectly - but I would have to hesitate to call them total gods.

As I was saying to swizzlenuts, there are also moments when I just find their sound borders on silliness - some of the keys in South Awain remind me of a keyboard melody in a junior school play of mine... and alongside the fact that the keys (and percussion) often sound too artificial and inorganic, this causes the spell to be broken at times.

I don't want to initiate some big debate though, because I'm sure it wouldn't get anywhere.

I'll just keep listening.

Just threw it on again after at least a year, probably more like two, and I'll be damned if it's not still just as good as it was the first time I heard it. :kickass: