Support Opeth.com's mod choice!

i think something wrong is going here. you cannot have an internet forum without some morons here and there. and firing the mod because he admitted the will to download an album before buying is ridiculous. there would be no Opeth without their fans and there wouln't be half of the fans out there if there were no mp3s. the band and anna must face the fact that a fair amount of people discovered the band just because of mp3s. my opinion.

^ you know, i agree completely. I downloaded blackwater park a couple of years ago after reading reviews from different websites claming it to be amazing. After a while i bought all their albums, lamentations, and a t-shirt. If there were no mp3s, downloading, or filesharing of any type, 3/4's of us wouldn't even be here.

I dont think Opeth have anything against the mp3s/bootlegs etc. But this situation is indeed different, that's what they don't want it to happen. ( The whole TGC rip stuff) I think they are %100 right about that. You see now people already started bitching about a shitty quality ripped song. After the album release, i don't think Anna or Opeth will give a shit about spreading of album in mp3.

Looking for a Job said:
uhhh yeah they will. akerfeldt has said on here before he hates the whole thing

Well of course he might not appreciate it like every other artist , but i don't think he will act against it. Think of some other bands who complain about that matter all the time. Oh well I don't know if Mikael of Opeth will change their attitude after the new album..

Cool you have the quote. I took from the first part its ok to sample stuff (which is how I got into Opeth).

It would be funny if he walked into the crowd and started taking peoples money, Id laugh.

my friend who posts here as forest of asatru got me into opeth, he has i think all of the CDs and i gave him some of the money to buy lamentations, we share a love for it, and i htink he knew moonlapse a while ago when this whole thing first kind of started, not sure, but if admitting to something like that is going to lose him the mod job, i don't see why we shouldn't all be banned from here and the whole thing shut down, if they don't want us to say nice things about them mixed in with all the other stuff people say, then we shouldn't say anything at all, i'm sure they like hearing from us as fans, but i get where the d/ling thing isn't welcomed, i say, most of my opeth songs are downloaded, but i do have a shirt and i paid for some of lamentations, i think anything i pay towards them should be considered, i still like opeth and everything, thats just my views.

Rose Immortal said:
I left this board quite a while ago exactly because of the problems that Anna Akerfeldt has said are out of control: the flaming of forum members, the pointless threads, and worst of all--the flaming of band members AND their families.

I even remember seeing somebody make a nasty crack about Melinda Akerfeldt--and NOTHING was done about it. That was what finally convinced me to leave.

When I heard through a friend that Mrs. Akerfeldt had decided to take control and clean this place up, I thought maybe things were going to improve. But what I cannot believe is the uproar over that decision.

I think that both the band AND the record label have every right to expect that this forum be a good representation of the band, especially with a new album about to come out. Quit demonizing them--that attitude is part of the problem and not the solution. And if you think actually taking care of this place properly is going to kill the forum, or if you lack the proper decorum to behave within the rules, then leave. There are plenty of other forums to trash...their official one should NOT be a cesspool.

Now, in my dealings with him Moonlapse was kind and I think he should stay on as a regular member here. But I DO think that the Akerfeldts and Roadrunner Records were WELL within their rights to do what they did, because clearly things did not get done as they should have been. In fact, I think people should be grateful that the forum is not being shut down--but I think that day could be coming if things get worse instead of better. It's their house, not ours, and we should be grateful that we are still allowed as guests.

I imagine there will be plenty of flames to this post--but I also think there are people here who agree with this: support the Akerfeldts' decision to clean up their forum!

Fine. But I'm still referring to Mendez as 'Bass Player,' because he is my favorite bassist and therefore THE Bass Player.

bangadrian said:

ah see, i think it's things like that that some people would call "an argument waiting to happen" i personally think it's funny, and i respect bang, reading other things that you've put. but to some new people things like that might make them leave or think they have to stand up for themselves...not saying it to sound like a hard/stupid ass, just saying. :hotjump:

lol, thats what i thought at first a jobless woman..but now i know trey is just weird..if thats the right word for it.

I would't now Opeth if I didn't download stuff. First I've downloaded every album, now I have the official copies of Blackwater park and Stil Life. Yesterday I bought MAYH. Once I get the money, I will buy the other albums, and I will get the new album the day it gets out.

Today we have mp3 sharing, a few years ago we had tape sharing. How many people pick up an album randomly and like it? How many people will hear someone say: "thats a good band" and imediatly buy the album without having tried how they sound first?

I hear the music industry talking about how many revenue their missing because people download instead of buy, but how many people would buy 20 albums in the same day? While downloading makes it possible to know so many different kinds of music. Better yet, I think this way people buy even more albums than without mp3 downloading, because they know they like the band!